Sponsored by:

GT3 factory rollcage

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 AM
csmarx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Looks great. I'm assuming this is a track-only car now, since conventional wisdom has it that driving a car with a full cage (front section) on the street with no helmet is actually quite dangerous.
Echo that. I had a 2003 model 996.2 GT3 Club Sport from Germany with a full factory roll cage. While it was covered in high density foam, it really wasn't safe to drive the car without a helmet. I still did though - but in retrospect wish I hadn't.

Less conventional but well researched wisdom also has it that a half cage situated behind you is more dangerous than you think without a helmet. Apparently seats flex a lot more than you imagine in a crash, allowing your head to bounce back up into the roll bar. That's why after long soul searching I finally opted for a harness bar in my current dual purpose 997.1 GT3. This makes a trade-off that gambles to have better safety on the street, where the car is driven more miles, and a bit less on track in the unlikely event of not only a rollover but also a crushed roof. My particular harness bar also strengthens the center pillars, thus reducing the probability of the latter. Hopefully.... Sorry, a bit OT.

Nice pix by OP!

-Christian
Old 11-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Where can you purchase the factory rollcage?
It's a no cost option in Aus for the rear cage as part of the clubsport pack. The front cage has to be ordered from Porsche Motorsport

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Looks great. I'm assuming this is a track-only car now, since conventional wisdom has it that driving a car with a full cage (front section) on the street with no helmet is actually quite dangerous.
Yep, track only when the front cage is in, otherwise just weekend drives. Have one of these to move it around if needed:

Otherwise for long distances it will go in a transporter.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by csmarx
Less conventional but well researched wisdom also has it that a half cage situated behind you is more dangerous than you think without a helmet. Apparently seats flex a lot more than you imagine in a crash, allowing your head to bounce back up into the roll bar.
The issue should be evaluated, but the risk depends on the stiffness of the particular seat and the clearance from the seat (in the position it's normally used) to the roll cage. Also, in a frontal impact, the flexing of the seat will be more in the forward than backward direction, and in a side impact a large amount of backward flexing wouldn't be expected.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Slip, are any of the roll cage connections welded in? Aside from removing the roofing (which I assume can be reinstalled if the roll cage is removed), what other permanent 'damage' is done to the car by installing the roll cage?

I agree with others that having a roll cage increases risk on the road, but since my use of the car is mainly track, I'd consider putting in the roll cage. I wonder if it's illegal to wear a helmet and HANS on the road in the US?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Manifold. Its a bolt in system. Our ROW Clubsport spec cars have the mount points installed and the carpet pre perforated under the drivers mat. The front part of the factory cage is available on Carnewal site for approx 4000 Euro. It is not much good to you without the rear factory cage.

Slip. Just make sure you have a good head restraint system (as the cage wont save your neck from a basel scull fracture). But enough on that we have done it to death on another thread.

The main complaint I have heard from the few in NZ who have fitted the full factory cage to past gen GT3 is visibility although luckily none have had an accident to test out whether their head will hit the bar! Usually they are fitted for Targa comp then removed for road car use after event.

Quick Reply: GT3 factory rollcage