Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So far I'm the only one Porsche put Dunlops on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:18 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by KenU
Well, I just found out my car, which is at the port waiting for a ship, is wearing Dunlops. I was hoping for Michelins but there's not much I can do about it now except wait and see how they perform.

I was wondering, besides labeling + performance differences perhaps (seems to be differing opinions here), do they look the same from a profile view? Seems like the Michelins have a clean smooth rounded sidewall, whereas the Dunlops have some sort of crease close to the outer rim of the wheel.

Thanks
Just found out I am in the same boat (pun intended)
Completed 11/5, at port 11/7, still waiting on a ship...
VIN 3656
Dunlops

Bill
Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rubbaman
The Dunnys have a bead wall and slope in at the top more than the Michys.
I don't really like the looks of them. And they don't have the cool felt patch
that the Michelins do. Having said that, they are very sticky, and performed
OK in the cold temps today. In the picture of the tire temps, one was on the sun side of the car and warmed up faster! This was after 15 minutes of driving.

Thanks, Rob.

Part of the pleasure of owning this car is its appearance. I completely agree that the Michelins are a "cooler" looking tire and while my car is essentially going to sit in my garage for several months, all I'm going to be doing is staring at those Dunlops knowing that there could be better looking tires on the car. Of course I could go crazy and get the Michelins, but that's nuts having brand new tires. I'm sure they're excellent performing tires but I get a lot of pleasure in how my cars look. Not diggin the Dunnys!

Yes, this should be our worst problems in life...
Old 11-18-2014, 10:41 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

I decided when my car arrives I'm going to purchase a set of Michelins and deal with the Dunlops at that time with my dealer, however that may turn out. How much more can that cost me, another $2,000-3,000? It's worth it to me to have 100% satisfaction.
Call me crazy or OCD, that's just how I am, especially with spending $147,000.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

My recommendation would be to see the car first. Your OCDness will vanish when you see the total package. I doubt you can tell the difference in the tires from 6' away. The shape of the tire is not that extreme and they do not take away from the look of the car. If you hate them after you take delivery than go spend $2K on new ones.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:34 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lodi
My recommendation would be to see the car first. Your OCDness will vanish when you see the total package. I doubt you can tell the difference in the tires from 6' away. The shape of the tire is not that extreme and they do not take away from the look of the car. If you hate them after you take delivery than go spend $2K on new ones.
Thanks, Lodi. We'll see how this shakes out when I see it in the flesh.

Appreciate your input very much!

Quick Reply: So far I'm the only one Porsche put Dunlops on?