Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So far I'm the only one Porsche put Dunlops on?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
You can't compare tread-wear ratings between different manufacturers.
You can. You just have to realize they aren't 100% red apples to red apples. More like red apples to green apples.

Regardless, 80 is less than half of 180. Unless one of the manufacturers is on hallucinogenic substances, that implies a difference that should be noticeable.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if they sell Dunlops to "Rain" markets and Michelin to "Sun shine" markets
Old 11-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

I look to be in the Dunlop bucket too. At least this is what is indicated on my build sheet. Car is in port now so I should find out soon. It would seem unusual that the Dunlops will get half the real life wear as the Michelins. While each tire is going to have its pros and cons I would like to think that they both share a high standard for quality, performance and durability. If not, we're being ripped off rubbaman! I'll remain optimistic!
Old 11-06-2014, 04:38 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Slip
I've done 2,500kms on the Michelins including a number of track days. Fantastic tyre with great grip, very progressive on the limit but found they take a while to come up to temp.

I've just changed them out for a new set of the dunlops for a Hillclimb event this weekend as I spoke with a number of the Motorsport tyre gurus out here and the dunlops are supposed to be a softer compound which will heat up quicker. In an ideal world uncut wet slicks would be best as that's what most of the front runners are using but there's limited scope in 20" sizing.

Have also purchased the Pirelli Trofeo R's and they are waiting to go on so will give these a go as well for a comparison of all three.
Slip - please share your thoughts after the Hillclimb event and best of luck!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:02 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
I look to be in the Dunlop bucket too. At least this is what is indicated on my build sheet. Car is in port now so I should find out soon. It would seem unusual that the Dunlops will get half the real life wear as the Michelins. While each tire is going to have its pros and cons I would like to think that they both share a high standard for quality, performance and durability. If not, we're being ripped off rubbaman! I'll remain optimistic!
+1. I don't think the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race is a poor tire. Porsche certainly would not provide a crap tire on a GT3 as OE equipment. The Dunlop may have less tread wear rating but the softer compound could give more dry grip than the Michelins do. I don't know what tires my GT3 will have, but either way I will love the car and drive on whatever tires the the factory throws on it. If half the GT3's out there already had Dunlops it would be a non issue and discussion.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

The 991 GT3 comes stock with either Michelins or Dunlops. This was done so that one vendor could not manipulate/control cost to Porsche. I think they are both very good tires but Porsche is probably randomly putting some Dunlops on because they probably have a minimum volume contract for them
Old 11-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZZinger
+1. I don't think the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race is a poor tire. Porsche certainly would not provide a crap tire on a GT3 as OE equipment. The Dunlop may have less tread wear rating but the softer compound could give more dry grip than the Michelins do. I don't know what tires my GT3 will have, but either way I will love the car and drive on whatever tires the the factory throws on it. If half the GT3's out there already had Dunlops it would be a non issue and discussion.
Z, I share your position.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The 991 GT3 comes stock with either Michelins or Dunlops. This was done so that one vendor could not manipulate/control cost to Porsche. I think they are both very good tires but Porsche is probably randomly putting some Dunlops on because they probably have a minimum volume contract for them
Jimmy, great point about the timing of the Dunlops. I agree that if they had been put on some of the early cars there would be no issue.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rubbaman
So weird. Everyone reporting in on their 2015 deliveries has Michelins. Am I that special?
The German soup **** said "No Michelin for you!"
Rob, Do you have an impression one way or another on the tires?
Old 11-06-2014, 06:38 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the tire. It's Sports Maxx Race. And so far after 80 miles it doesn't feel lacking.
it's very grippy. But I would have to track it to really compare. Very low road noise and
very smooth ride. Probably quieter than the Michelin as I recall from driving a 2014 at Barber.
The car feels faster with Dunlops!
I'm curious why some have and some don't, but the explanation above about a contract makes sense to me. Oh well, I will drive until they wear out.
No big deal. But I like the felt fuzz on the Michys Hahhaha.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15 3 weeks old. Dunlops. Dealer got 6 gt3 and all on dunlops so they say
Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gravity, which dealer?
Old 11-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravity
15 3 weeks old. Dunlops. Dealer got 6 gt3 and all on dunlops so they say
Only 3 cars have been delivered to date. Mine will be #4 which is about a month out

Originally Posted by bronson7
Gravity, which dealer?
Porsche Cars of Calgary

Old 11-10-2014, 11:22 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on this grainy cell phone photo from my SA taken this evening of my newly arrived GT3, I'm guessing that I have the Dunlops. Compared it to the Tire Rack photos of the respective treads. Fwiw, the Dunlops cost a bit more than the Michelins there. Likely will wear these out in less than a summer's worth of driving.
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2014, 04:25 PM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine will be delivered in the next 10 days and it has Dunlops.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine's arriving in San Diego on 12/5 and tracking sheet says Michelins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So far I'm the only one Porsche put Dunlops on?