Sponsored by:

Brunnhoelzl Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Brunnhoelzl Jacks

I just received very nice feedback from a customer who purchased a modified Brunnhoelzl Jack (no current affiliation). If you're not familiar - Brunnhoelzl makes what I believe is the only domestic aluminum racing jack. Their jacks are common in NASCAR and with many professional race teams. HOWEVER, they are expensive (this coming from the guy who sells $300 jack stands).

The advantage to the Brunnhoelzl is they have an aluminum jack with a true minimum pickup height of 2" - I believe the lowest in the industry - their Low Profile jack. Industry standard for low profile aluminum "racing style" jacks is 3.5" minimum. The Low Profile in a 6 pump sells for $1050 PLUS the saddle (jack plate) would need to be modified if you were going to use it with Jackpoint Jackstands for another $150 = $1200. They are pretty and for that price I think you can get them in any color you want. If you check their web site this jack shows at $1295 before the mod. That price is for their 1 pump model.

Anyway - they have modified several jacks for Jackpoint customers and made an interesting proposal. If Jackpoint Jackstands wants to inventory their jacks they will do the saddle modification without charge - about a 12.5% savings. A friend, club racer and Rennlist member whose opinion I respect suggested I pose the question here about interest in such a jack. My thought is - if I did inventory their jacks - I would pass the savings on to Rennlist members. I don't know if there are many guys who would buy a $1200 jack if they could get it for $1050 - but I thought I'd ask.

Brunnhoelzl also sells a Warrior jack for $795. Also quite nice but with a minimum pickup height of 3.5". The saddle on that jack will not fit Jackpoint pads - but a modified pad could be made. If there were sufficient numbers - perhaps at no added cost.

I don't want to appear like I'm trolling for business here, I just thought I'd share the opportunity to save a little if there were guys out there who were looking at the Brunnhoelzl. There are many inexpensive jacks that work our jack stands. The Brunnhoelzl is probably the crown jewel.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:58 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

JP stands are awesome. Can't say enough good things about them. I've got a set of 4 myself.

I'm the one that pioneered the custom saddle of the Brunnhoelzl jack. I simply re-designed the saddle's shape to directly fit the round hat of the JP stand. Watch my
video to see how you can modify the stands further still to make it even easier to use on your Porsche. Don't be turned off by my troubles in the video. I was nervous doing this on-screen and hadn't actually practiced at all. It was a spur of the moment idea to film it, as I had just put together the parts just then.

Hope it makes you laugh!

Last edited by 24Chromium; 11-05-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:12 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Thanks for reminding me and for being the pioneer. As I recall you had the saddle modified after you received the jack. Was it modified by Brunnhoelzl?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:16 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Sorry to be blunt and I don't mean to be disrespectful,but I'd rather put the car on bricks than spend 1200$ on jackstands.
The following users liked this post:
sgreer78 (03-22-2021)
Old 11-05-2014, 10:45 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
Thanks for reminding me and for being the pioneer. As I recall you had the saddle modified after you received the jack. Was it modified by Brunnhoelzl?
Nope, Brunnhoelzl made the saddle for me at the same time they made the jack. I sent them a CAD file of my design. I even got my jack painted purple to match the car!
Old 11-05-2014, 10:54 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Sorry to be blunt and I don't mean to be disrespectful,but I'd rather put the car on bricks than spend 1200$ on jackstands.
Really ? Your pretty cheap considering your garage list in your sig.

By the way, the Jack stands are not $1200.00. The Jack is.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rockitman
Really ? Your pretty cheap considering your garage list in your sig. By the way, the Jack stands are not $1200.00. The Jack is.
LOL!
Nah,I just have different jacks and jackstands that do the same thing.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

LOL!
Nick, you have jack stands that can utilize the exact same jacking point as the jack itself? I thought the Jackpoint stands were unique in that respect. What jack stands do you have?
Old 11-05-2014, 11:54 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

LOL!
You don't have Jack stands that actually go under the porsche jack points, unless you Jack the car up on a non Jack point. So there is the difference. It was easy to put the Jack pad under the mezger crankcase to lift the car momentarily and put traditional Jack stands under both rear Jack points...you cannot do that with the 991 that has the motor protective cover plate.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:10 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nick, you have jack stands that can utilize the exact same jacking point as the jack itself? I thought the Jackpoint stands were unique in that respect. What jack stands do you have?
No Mike,I do not have jackstands that utilize the jacking point as the jack. I have Harbor Freight Pittsburg jacks-a steel one and a low profile aluminum. I have Black Jack 3 ton jackstands and 6 ton Pittsburg.
I invest a lot of money in high quality hand tools like SnapOn or Mac. Also in air guns and 780FT/pounds Ingersoll-Rand electric power tools. I have factory scan tools for most german brands I own. Because IMO that's where you need quality for working on cars.
Jacks or jackstands are there to lift the car and then support it,there's no brain surgery,a cheap one will do the same job as an expensive one. But a cheap socket will most likely strip a nut,as opposed to a SnapOn that will pull it out without a problem.
My point is,invest where it really matters...
Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

You don't have Jack stands that actually go under the porsche jack points, unless you Jack the car up on a non Jack point. So there is the difference. It was easy to put the Jack pad under the mezger crankcase to lift the car momentarily and put traditional Jack stands under both rear Jack points...you cannot do that with the 991 that has the motor protective cover plate.
You NEVER lift a Porsche(any car for that matter) by the engine.
You lift by the rear jacking points until the front gets high enough to put a jackstand on both sides in the front.
You lift the rear of a 911 by the crossmember.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:18 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

You NEVER lift a Porsche(any car for that matter) by the engine.
You lift by the rear jacking points until the front gets high enough to put a jackstand on both sides in the front.
You lift the rear of a 911 by the crossmember.
you can with the mezger...it was only under lift for a whole 2 minutes. Not an issue and was discussed long a go when the 996-3 came out.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:27 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

you can with the mezger...it was only under lift for a whole 2 minutes. Not an issue and was discussed long a go when the 996-3 came out.
Yes,I've had this argument with several people on this forum. I can't win and don't wan't to convince anyone what to do. Do as you please,but it is my personal opinion that you should not lift any car by the engine...
I'll leave it at that...
Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Yes,I've had this argument with several people on this forum. I can't win and don't wan't to convince anyone what to do. Do as you please,but it is my personal opinion that you should not lift any car by the engine...
I'll leave it at that...
I'm fine with that...My mezger is gone, the engine mounts are just fine and the buyer is happier than a piggy in sheet. With 991, I have already ordered the jack point stand solution. The best short of a hydraulic 4 point lift.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:39 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I'm fine with that...My mezger is gone, the engine mounts are just fine and the buyer is happier than a piggy in sheet. With 991, I have already ordered the jack point stand solution. The best short of a hydraulic 4 point lift.
Just curious,is there a cheaper version or only the 1200$ one?

P.S. Never mind,I see that you can use any jack with the 300$ jackstands...

Quick Reply: Brunnhoelzl Jacks