Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally PTS GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:10 AM
dark knight
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

maybe its a car being sent to the US to be used for training, or maybe its a test car to test production methods for the GT3RS
Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The car is clearly ready to be shipped. As a training tool for repairs at PCNA headquarters it could conceivably be assembled from flawed body parts that were rejected for the production cars they were originally intended for. PTS parts may have a higher rejection rate due to their one off nature.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:02 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Seems late to the game but... Crash test? For bucket seats?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:21 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oh dear lord, for the love of all that is holy...what is going on here?

this is like a sighting of Big Foot.... someone must figure this out...
Old 11-03-2014, 12:50 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DuckieRS
Isn't the word just 'Umlaufteil' as in 'rotating part'?
I don't believe it is a deliberate exercise.
Brilliant. Referring to the handle only? And not the car?
Old 11-03-2014, 01:03 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
perhaps because they are indeed left-overs.
So what could it be? A working 991 gt3 for PCNA's training of dealer mechanics in the United States
Very sensible explanation as usual. I didn't realize some of those colours were discontinued btw. Maybe someone with PCNA connections knows where it's heading. I was secretly hoping this was a Halloween Frankenstein!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 01:29 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh, and we thought 70s Porsche interior colors were wild :-)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:50 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Default Solved?

Looks like there's some new info from STG991 posted in the No More PTS on any cars? thread that might help here!

Originally Posted by STG991
My friend has an Aqua Blue GT3 coming in at the end of the month. PTS of course. How funny.
Well, maybe this solves our slightly-cold-case mystery. I wonder if the random parts car could actually be STG991's friend's Aqua Blue GT3. It is after all a US market car, so that should fit (assuming s/he is in the US).

Clearly I was wrong on this one colour-wise; I thought it was Cobalt. Jon70, you nailed it!

Originally Posted by Jon70
I think the main body may be Aqua.
This seems to make sense as I asked someone in the know and was told the following about our multicoloured car:
"Sometimes when parts are being repaired in the paint shop, they put on temporary parts until the finished parts are ready for the assembly."

So this seems to support Eduardo's initial thought about this being a production issue, perhaps due to JIT.

Originally Posted by Z356
In April 2013, on my last tour of the factory assembly at Zuffenhausen, I saw a different color rear bumper on a Boxster coming down the production line. This was a 'mistake' in 'just-in-time' and 'just-in-sequence' logistics, the latter of which Porsche depends on for its series production. When these wrong parts are discovered when they arrive at the factory, they are allowed to continue to the assembly line and bolted into the intended production vehicle...regardless if it's the wrong color. Then they take it to another building (normally where the 'Porsche Exclusive' options are installed after production, near the European Delivery room) and make the required changes once the correct part finally arrives. It would be more costly & disruptive to stop the process and not continue building that particular car on that day...because thousands of other custom ordered parts for that vehicle are waiting for it as it moves down the line. Strange...but true.
Although I suppose it could also still be a paint matching quality issue with Aqua on many of the plastic parts for this car, as we've seen with the white bumpers for example.

So, maybe that's the answer: just a pedestrian production issue and not some rare chimeric demo-car sasquatch sighting!!

Hopefully I haven't taken too many liberties in trying to connect the dots.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2014, 01:49 PM
dark knight
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

this theory makes a lot of sense, if the plastic parts are painted elsewhere, they may not have been ready, so they built the car with parts they have lying around for this purpose and exchange for the right ones later, thats why we don't see these cars being driven around like this and thats why the parts that don't match are the plastic ones
Old 11-15-2014, 01:54 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Looks like there's some new info from STG991 posted in the No More PTS on any cars? thread that might help here! Well, maybe this solves our slightly-cold-case mystery. I wonder if the random parts car could actually be STG991's friend's Aqua Blue GT3. It is after all a US market car, so that should fit (assuming s/he is in the US). Clearly I was wrong on this one colour-wise; I thought it was Cobalt. Jon70, you nailed it! This seems to make sense as I asked someone in the know and was told the following about our multicoloured car: "Sometimes when parts are being repaired in the paint shop, they put on temporary parts until the finished parts are ready for the assembly." So this seems to support Eduardo's initial thought about this being a production issue, perhaps due to JIT. Although I suppose it could also still be a paint matching quality issue with Aqua on many of the plastic parts for this car, as we've seen with the white bumpers for example. So, maybe that's the answer: just a pedestrian production issue and not some rare chimeric demo-car sasquatch sighting!! Hopefully I haven't taken too many liberties in trying to connect the dots.
Yes, my friend has an Aqua Blue GT3 coming to the USA. It will be delivered to the dealer in 2 weeks. I think he had mentioned his car was delayed from the initial date.

Just read through. Yikes! Hopefully it's not this Frankenstein car!
Old 11-15-2014, 02:09 PM
<3mph
Drifting

You guys have me lost here! Ha ha. Haven't read up on this post.

Yes, my friend has an Aqua Blue GT3 coming to the USA. It will be delivered to the dealer in 2 weeks.

Just read through. Yikes! Hopefully it's not this Frankenstein car!
Here's the gist of it. No one knew what this car was. Lots of theories. Now it looks like no surprise ending! And, of course, they'll replace the non-matched panels and parts when they're available before your friend ever gets the car. Was fun while it lasted!
Old 11-15-2014, 02:12 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Oh, and btw, on closer inspection I noticed after that none of the mismatched parts seemed to have the plastic protective wrapping on them, so they could easily be removed and replaced without having to unwrap the car before transport. Had to tie up that loose end too.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Here's the gist of it. No one knew what this car was. Lots of theories. Now it looks like no surprise ending! And, of course, they'll replace the non-matched panels and parts when they're available before your friend ever gets the car. Was fun while it lasted!
Hilarious post here!

I'll keep you posted! Obviously swapping parts is no big thing. I'll be sure to look it over very very closely though! More to come..
Old 11-15-2014, 02:15 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Hilarious post here!

I'll keep you posted! Obviously swapping parts is no big thing. I'll be sure to look it over very very closely though! More to come..
Thanks, that would be awesome! I'm sure it will look incredible, so please post some photos. Like they say, no pics it didn't happen...
Old 11-15-2014, 02:19 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by dark knight
this theory makes a lot of sense, if the plastic parts are painted elsewhere, they may not have been ready, so they built the car with parts they have lying around for this purpose and exchange for the right ones later, thats why we don't see these cars being driven around like this and thats why the parts that don't match are the plastic ones
Sure seems like it. Although I still don't get why they used so many different PTS extras instead of standard coloured ones. Maybe some factory worker was bored!

Quick Reply: Totally PTS GT3