Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   How common are crashes at the track? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/841537-how-common-are-crashes-at-the-track.html)

sgroer 10-30-2014 08:44 PM

I track 6 or so times a year. I've seen a cts-v get destroyed and then some minor fender bender type things. I'd be curious to know how often a real crash happens at the track. How many times have you tracked crash free and how often have you seen major crashes. This all started over a few beers with a buddy where I told him it's far less likely than you think for a bad crash to occur. He disagrees. Sean

TRAKCAR 10-30-2014 08:47 PM

One per weekend on average?
Left coast never because they only have no wall tra ks

Nick Yoskin 10-30-2014 08:52 PM

insurance companies that underwrite track coverage do surcharge for some tracks as crashes are more prevalent. I know that's not an answer to your question but just putting it out there.

Nick Yoskin 10-30-2014 08:53 PM

I saw my buddy do 30,000 dollars of damage to his brand new Camaro zl1.after that I went and bought a used ASA car for less than what his damages were.

sgroer 10-30-2014 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin (Post 11766068)
insurance companies that underwrite track coverage do surcharge for some tracks as crashes are more prevalent. I know that's not an answer to your question but just putting it out there.

Yes. That's a scary business!!

Nick Yoskin 10-30-2014 08:57 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f4af952c98.jpg

zedcat 10-30-2014 09:04 PM

I've attended about 50 events. In that time have seen probably 20 cars flat bedded away for various reasons including mechanical breakdowns, blown engines, etc. Of these have seen 8 cars totaled due to crashes. Two of these were rollovers. Fortunately no serious injuries. Also have seen 1 car burn completely (fuel leak I think, no crash). Don't know if my experience is typical.

paver 10-30-2014 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by sgroer (Post 11766040)
I track 6 or so times a year. I've seen a cts-v get destroyed and then some minor fender bender type things. I'd be curious to know how often a real crash happens at the track. How many times have you tracked crash free and how often have you seen major crashes. This all started over a few beers with a buddy where I told him it's far less likely than you think for a bad crash to occur. He disagrees. Sean

Were you at Road Atlanta with MVP in June? I was right behind a guy who destroyed a CTS-V that weekend.

I say one per event is pretty accurate maybe even a little on the low side.

sgroer 10-30-2014 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by paver (Post 11766113)
Were you at Road Atlanta with MVP in June? I was right behind a guy who destroyed a CTS-V that weekend. I say one per event is pretty accurate maybe even a little on the low side.

I was there! Watched it happen from the stands. He entered turn 1 on the inside and just ran out of track.

He drove that car away. Presumably to stage it somewhere else.

paver 10-30-2014 09:22 PM

^I saw it through my front windshield...he got in way over his head. That actually started happening between 5 and 6. He was behind me while we were caught up in a train. Since he was riding my bumper I pointed him by. Once it cleared out, I followed him. Watched him go four off at 7 and never really slow down. He almost went two off at trackout at 10b, then he hit the apex curb hard at 12...next thing I know he is flying through the air. He was lucky to walk away from that. He told the event organizer his brakes faded....yeah right

In the 35 events I have done that was at least the third car I've seen end up on its roof.

sgroer 10-30-2014 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by paver (Post 11766148)
^I saw it through my front windshield...he got in way over his head. That actually started happening between 5 and 6. He was behind me while we were caught up in a train. Since he was riding my bumper I pointed him by. Once it cleared out, I followed him. Watched him go four off at 7 and never really slow down. He almost went two off at trackout at 10b, then he hit the apex curb hard at 12...next thing I know he is flying through the air. He was lucky to walk away from that. He told the event organizer his brakes faded....yeah right

Dude should not have been running advanced. His entry into the fatal turn was like nothing I've ever seen.

Alan C. 10-30-2014 09:32 PM

It took me 22 years to get involved in a crash. A GT3 coolant dump in front of me. You can't plan on those. I've tracked a lot at Mid-Ohio and I'd say one a weekend is a reasonable number. Unless it is a Viper club event. :p

paver 10-30-2014 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by sgroer (Post 11766161)
Dude should not have been running advanced. His entry into the fatal turn was like nothing I've ever seen.

You're exactly right...for that very reason I'm not a fan of de organizations that don't vet their drivers carefully.

sgroer 10-30-2014 09:32 PM

Are you running MVP at road atlanta on 11/22? I'll be there with my GT3.

paver 10-30-2014 09:42 PM

I'm not...wish I could see your car. I have yet to see one at the track. I'm doing PBOC at Barber the w/e before MVP. Then it's off for a Florida swing in December.
Do you ever do Chin events? They are a great club if you're not familiar with them. I mostly de with them. They do a lot of Road A events. Hope to see you at one.