Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How common are crashes at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:59 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

From anecdotal evidence, I would agree that the DE statistics is somewhere in the range of 1 crash (not necessarily total) in 50-100 days. Higher for racing.

Mooty is right. If you do this long enough, the statistics will catch up with you sooner or later. So only track/race a car you are comfortable leaving behind or write a check for without a second thought. There's a reason why I will not be tracking a 991 RS any time soon.

IMO, the best way to reduce the risk of crashing (spinning and going off) is by investing in a car control clinic with one of the racing schools, doing some autocross on slippery tires, experimenting with safe corners (with lot of run-off) on slippery tires, or going to a wet skidpad -- all of this towards learning how to find and safely straddle the limit of available grip on the four contact patches.

This may go against commonly accepted wisdom but, IMO, playing it safe and trying to never go above 7-8/10ths of available grip is not a good recipe for crash avoidance. Circumstances will eventually put you above 9/10ths against your will and you will crash. Best to learn how to straddle 10/10ths safely and consistently to minimize the chances of being caught off guard.

The problem with cars like the modern GT3's is that 10/10ths is so fast/high out there that only a small minority will be willing (or able) to approach it, much less feel comfortable straddling it. The fact that most of them come with nannies to which drivers get accustomed is not helping either.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
You can be the most conservative, safest driver on the planet and if someone drops oil or coolant in front of you, you are just along for the ride. So yes, there are things you can do to reduce the risk, but it cannot be eliminated.
Yes, never zero risk on the track. Or in the paddock. Or on the road. Or in life ...
Old 10-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can never eliminate risk, only minimize it but if you go to the track with common sense and a clear purpose of having fun and going home safely, the probability of crashing goes down a lot.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
From anecdotal evidence, I would agree that the DE statistics is somewhere in the range of 1 crash (not necessarily total) in 50-100 days. Higher for racing.

Mooty is right. If you do this long enough, the statistics will catch up with you sooner or later. So only track/race a car you are comfortable leaving behind or write a check for without a second thought. There's a reason why I will not be tracking a 991 RS any time soon.

IMO, the best way to reduce the risk of crashing (spinning and going off) is by investing in a car control clinic with one of the racing schools, doing some autocross on slippery tires, experimenting with safe corners (with lot of run-off) on slippery tires, or going to a wet skidpad -- all of this towards learning how to find and safely straddle the limit of available grip on the four contact patches.

This may go against commonly accepted wisdom but, IMO, playing it safe and trying to never go above 7-8/10ths of available grip is not a good recipe for crash avoidance. Circumstances will eventually put you above 9/10ths against your will and you will crash. Best to learn how to straddle 10/10ths safely and consistently to minimize the chances of being caught off guard.

The problem with cars like the modern GT3's is that 10/10ths is so fast/high out there that only a small minority will be willing (or able) to approach it, much less feel comfortable straddling it. The fact that most of them come with nannies to which drivers get accustomed is not helping either.

Just my $0.02
Good points, I agree.

IMO, good car control is vital for driving on the track at meaningful speeds, and I'm pretty sure it's prevented some of my more dramatic moments on track from turning into crashes. I'd add karting to the list of reasonably safe ways to develop car control (safety of course depends on the kinds of karts and tracks).

Only way I can track the 991 GT3 is to get track insurance. Otherwise, the car is more expensive than I can live with writing off. I do wonder if the car is 'too fast' for a car without racing safety equipment, yet it won't be much fun if I'm not leaning on it reasonably hard. I guess time will tell if it's the right car for me.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:40 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

I think the 1 accident per day # is low. Unless you are at the wide open CA tracks. That being said it is almost all driver error and it isn't the 1st mistake that gets you it is how you react to that mistake. My VIR climbing SSS incident started long before the entry as I was frustrated with traffic, then didnt bleed enough speed after entry and tried to save it instead of driving off straight and re-entering at South Bend.

As Mooty stated if you can't afford to leave it at the track don't go. My main track car is less than $20k all in now and fully caged. I also love the BS that I only drive at 80%. LOL if you aren't working on getting faster and better why go to the track. Cars and Coffee might be a better fit for you.

Peter
Old 10-31-2014, 01:45 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

A good way to discern these statistics is by looking at the price of track insurance. Someone with a current track insurance can confirm but IIRC* $300-400/day buys (low deductible) coverage on about $40-50k agreed value. So daily coverage costs about 0.8% of the covered value. Subtract from that an approx 20% margin for safety and profit and the break-even cost ends up being around 0.7% of the insured value yielding a chance of total loss of about 0.7/100 = 1/142 (so 1 total crash in 142 days). If someone can provide actual numbers, and an estimate for the profit margin, we could get a more precise number.

*I'm self-insuring which may change if 6gt3's keep going up in price
Old 10-31-2014, 02:23 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I think the 1 accident per day # is low. Unless you are at the wide open CA tracks. That being said it is almost all driver error and it isn't the 1st mistake that gets you it is how you react to that mistake. My VIR climbing SSS incident started long before the entry as I was frustrated with traffic, then didnt bleed enough speed after entry and tried to save it instead of driving off straight and re-entering at South Bend.

As Mooty stated if you can't afford to leave it at the track don't go. My main track car is less than $20k all in now and fully caged. I also love the BS that I only drive at 80%. LOL if you aren't working on getting faster and better why go to the track. Cars and Coffee might be a better fit for you.

Peter
A good friend was collected in his Jaeger liveried Cayman at the VIR club race this year on entry to the climbing esses. Didn't look like the guy trying to make the pass on the inside had much of a chance completing the move.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:25 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Drive slow like I do. Wave everyone passed and enjoy. Adjust your seat to the lowest position,so you're part of the chassis(kind of...). You'll start feeling when the car is at the brink of adhesion. Remain calm and be ready if it does happen and correct.
Remember,you're there for fun,you're not racing...
Old 10-31-2014, 03:45 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

One a day usually in NorCal

In adv it's mostly red mist related from my experience
Old 10-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

Scary numbers. I've only tracked a few times and haven't seen any serious crashes. Do most tracks flag people in when they go off? Trying too hard not to go off could be worse than just riding it out but I think you need to learn and practice that as others have mentioned. A bit like practicing not to catch a knife when you drop it.

Maybe I should get one of these.

http://www.nissan.ca/micra-cup/en/
Old 10-31-2014, 04:40 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

It seems like most accidents happen because of two situations.

First, over correcting or trying to "save it."

Second, getting frustrated with traffic, and then driving aggressively after passing a group. I can't tell you how many times I've seen drivers getting annoyed at a slower group of cars, then proceeding to run-off the track after passing the group aggressively.

The 1 crash per event seems a little on the high side. At the two tracks I frequented in Michigan (Gingerman and Grattan) I rarely saw any accidents. And I was there a lot with the Subaru club, and we all know how WRX boy racers drive.

When I'm on the track my goal is to just have fun. Some laps are slow, some are fast. Find a "safe" section or turn with plenty of run-off to practice pushing the cars to it's limits. I'm very conservative in high speed sections and areas with no run-off.

Just remember you are lucky enough to be driving a Porsche on a race track.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:48 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
... I also love the BS that I only drive at 80%. LOL if you aren't working on getting faster and better why go to the track. Cars and Coffee might be a better fit for you. Peter
Well, there is the whole idea that it's just fun and the only place to stretch a gt3's legs and appreciate the amazing engineering.

I've never timed a single lap. Probably never will.

The presumption that if you aren't trying to shave time off your laps and get faster, you shouldn't be at the track is the exact mentality that gets casual / amateur drivers such as myself in Trouble. Some people just want to go out and beat on the car a little, push it to 80% and not worry about a few seconds of lap time.

Different for everyone and while it might not make sense to you, I am certain it does to other people who go to the track.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

^well said
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Flowmacks
I was at road Atlanta last weekend. The flatbed was very busy.... All advanced groups.

Stay clear of the Vipers.

Awesome!

I want to add that to my sig.

"Stay clear of the Vipers."
Old 10-31-2014, 05:43 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
A good way to discern these statistics is by looking at the price of track insurance. Someone with a current track insurance can confirm but IIRC* $300-400/day buys (low deductible) coverage on about $40-50k agreed value. So daily coverage costs about 0.8% of the covered value. Subtract from that an approx 20% margin for safety and profit and the break-even cost ends up being around 0.7% of the insured value yielding a chance of total loss of about 0.7/100 = 1/142 (so 1 total crash in 142 days). If someone can provide actual numbers, and an estimate for the profit margin, we could get a more precise number.

*I'm self-insuring which may change if 6gt3's keep going up in price
The coverage figure is pretty close (I pay a little over 300 for a 55k agreed value) but it's per event which is typically 2 days duration. I did a 1 day event a while back and expected a reduction but no dice, they charged the same. Lockton.

Quick Reply: How common are crashes at the track?