Sponsored by:

How common are crashes at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 04:07 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
There has been a tragic accident this year, as we lost a 991 GT3 RL member, aka "igirl".
Rennteam member...and may he rest in peace!

Originally Posted by mooty
all track drivers either has hit things or will be hitting things.
Tru dat!

Originally Posted by Alan C.
It took me 22 years to get involved in a crash.
I must be a fast learner because it only took me 5 years to crash once I started DE with PCA & POC! Early apex turn 2 at Riverside International (long gone!). Luckily it was only a '72 2.0 914, which was totaled as a result. Survived unscathed Watkins Glen, LimeRock, Pocono, Bridgehampton (Long Island) and Willow Springs. All in the fabulous 80's.

Re: How common are crashes at the track? Very common is the answer. But as our old mayor* used to say: 'you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*In the movie 'Dirty Harry'

Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2014, 04:40 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^...a man must know his limitations...to prevent off track excursions...
Old 10-31-2014, 04:56 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a track-day junkie by a long shot, but still have done 50 or so in my life. The average of 1 observed accident per day seems accurate enough. Statistically, if you've got 50 cars or so on each day, my time is rapidly approaching... even though I've never been off with all 4.

However, not due to the above (flawed) statistic, I've just bought a race-car (Toyota GT 86) and will participate in the 2014 - 2015 Cup season as Yas Marina Circuit. If I write off the 86, I couldn't be bothered in the slightest. If I would the same with the Speciale, which I'm tracking now, I would be fine financially, but very, very pissed off with myself.

This gave me a reason to finally order proper race-gear, create my own 'race team' (regardless how amateurish we'll be) and work to get my International FIA race license so I can tick off my bucket-list item of participating in the 24h of Dubai with a group of friends, once I'm ready (if ever).
Old 10-31-2014, 05:01 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like a great and fun plan Tom tom.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I have 3 goals when I go to the track....learn, have fun, and drive home at the end of the day.....
Old 10-31-2014, 06:33 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I have 3 goals when I go to the track....learn, have fun, and drive home at the end of the day.....
+1000. I also leave the chest pounding ego at home, unlike some wannabe racers. My hopes of being the next Marc Lieb have long past...lol.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:10 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

I pit out when things get crowded - let them pass, create space and go back out. I do what I can to stay on my own or be with like minded drivers. I'm not a track hero, never will be. Just like to push the car a bit and stay safe, recognizing there are significant risks in this hobby of ours.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:16 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I pit out when things get crowded - let them pass, create space and go back out. I do what I can to stay on my own or be with like minded drivers. I'm not a track hero, never will be. Just like to push the car a bit and stay safe, recognizing there are significant risks in this hobby of ours.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:24 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by milban
Only heard the driver was ok.
Glad driver was ok!

Ryan
Old 10-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So far what I've seen is mostly is due to mechanical failure (i.e. master cylinder failure, boiled brake fluid, coolant failure, etc.). However, I do agree that most incidents happen in advanced run groups and last sessions of the day.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:36 AM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

....and then there's the nurburgring
Old 10-31-2014, 12:00 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Tosilog
So far what I've seen is mostly is due to mechanical failure (i.e. master cylinder failure, boiled brake fluid, coolant failure, etc.). However, I do agree that most incidents happen in advanced run groups and last sessions of the day.
Apparent broad trends at a national (US) level:

- Higher incident rates tend to be towards beginning and end of the season, and beginning and end of events.

- Beginning of events especially for advanced drivers, end of events especially for less experienced drivers.

- More incidents, and higher severity, among advanced drivers in general.

Among mechanicals, in addition to brake issues, I've seen quite a few tire failures over the past year, involving various kinds of tires including slicks, and Hoosier R6 seemed to have a somewhat higher failure rate than other tires. As cars get tired towards end of season, less typical mechanicals also tend to develop, such as broken suspension components.

In my PCA region, in addition to pre-event shop tech and morning grid tech, we're advising careful self-tech of the car before and after each session, including looking under the car. For those who don't know how to tech, get help and learn. Peer tech is also advisable (required in some circumstances), along with getting second opinions whenever something looks questionable. And if something doesn't seem right during a session, come in immediately and check the car - doing that has saved me and others from big trouble on many occasions.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:08 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes it is first thing as well - tires too cold etc. On my second time ever on track about 8 or 9 years ago, the instructors all had a session before the day started. All of us students were watching track side, when one of the instructors got his brand new Audi S4 slightly off track - just two wheels. He over corrected and went sideways off the other side, rolling about 5 times before coming to a stop right side up. Needless to say, car was totaled, but fortunately driver was safe.

That right there was a pretty big wake up call for everyone that day. Nothing like seeing an accident like that at 8:30 am.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Sometimes it is first thing as well - tires too cold etc. On my second time ever on track about 8 or 9 years ago, the instructors all had a session before the day started. All of us students were watching track side, when one of the instructors got his brand new Audi S4 slightly off track - just two wheels. He over corrected and went sideways off the other side, rolling about 5 times before coming to a stop right side up. Needless to say, car was totaled, but fortunately driver was safe.

That right there was a pretty big wake up call for everyone that day. Nothing like seeing an accident like that at 8:30 am.
Excessive ego and overconfidence can lead to 'advanced' drivers thinking they're more advanced than they actually are, and wanting to prove it. Dumb, but all too human.

Us mere DE and club racing guys need to remember that even the best pros crash, and not infrequently. $hit hitting the fan doesn't always happen to the other guy, it can happen to any of us, though risks can be mitigated through monitoring and managing our mental and physical states, building pace incrementally, getting good instruction/coaching, diligent car tech, maximizing safety equipment compatible with the use of the car, learning risk profiles of tracks and characteristics of runoff areas, and mentally rehearsing how to handle the various 'emergency' scenarios which can develop on track.

I'm convinced that risks can greatly be reduced by these measures, without overly compromising fun and learning.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

You can be the most conservative, safest driver on the planet and if someone drops oil or coolant in front of you, you are just along for the ride. So yes, there are things you can do to reduce the risk, but it cannot be eliminated.

Quick Reply: How common are crashes at the track?