Sponsored by:

How common are crashes at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
E meets W Bay? That's crazy talk! Next thing you know mooty will be going on about how he loves Sonoma and Joe about Thunderhill
Lol! I don't know what you're talking about.

Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2014, 05:48 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

[QUOT PCA tends to have much stricter vetting and you won't get nearly as much "advanced" BS that you're experiencing. Of course, it varies region to region.[/QUOTE]

Regions are not the same. The PCA here only run one track and same direction Sept through April, then other direction in summer. So some people can advance in levels and only have gone one direction on one track.
I'm with many here; request a log book (I have one, I guess lesson from scuba diving days) and in order to go to advanced introduce some minimum criteria, for example X number of different tracks, clubs and configurations, car control school and or professional school like Barber or Bondurant, others.

Staying safe is a reason I continue to drive on street tires, AD08, vs going to R compound or slicks. More forgiving and easier to correct when starting to slide.

Last edited by tgavem; 11-04-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^^ Agreed, PCA regions vary hugely, even in South Florida 2 neighboring regions are very different.
A beginner in one is an instructor in the other.....

Example I hate driving with windows down, a relic rule that is too stupid for words in modern cars and made my red alcantara dirty, but they are old and senile so it sticks.
Up north we can drive PCA Nord Stern (The awesomest PCA region ever) with windows up because well, they are cold and not senile I guess..

You can see your own breath in the car mid summer. I'd pay more for that at Sebring!!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:20 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
4-5 crashes per day? What's typical for NNJR?

Lots of people think VIR is relatively safe because they see all the green space and apparent runoff areas. Then they discover, when it's too late, that there are actually plenty of walls, as they're heading for them. Add in the complexity and relatively high speeds of the track, and you have a good recipe for incidents.
Not the norm for sure...but they were dropping like flies. turn 6 begining of lower esses "carries resemblance to the infamous Kink at Road America" collected two of my friends cars...I saw a car way way out at the other end of the green by the Hogpin, not sure what was up with that event, and so on.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:36 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Dude should not have been running advanced. His entry into the fatal turn was like nothing I've ever seen.
I'm running late to the party but I was there that weekend as well. The other crash was a silver 911 (997 I think) that came under the bridge and then as he started down the hill he got sideways, slide for a bit, and then shot off track and hit the inside wall with his passenger side. My son and I were down in the media center trying to stay cool and we saw it happen.

Steve
Old 03-20-2015, 11:05 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't tracked in a few years, but I used to go about once a month. There were incidents at every event, from mild offs with little to no damage, to complete losses and injuries with the latter being rare.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

At a well-attended event of one to three days, having zero incidents would be doing well, having more than a few incidents is not doing well, and most events are somewhere in between ('incident' means car is damaged).

The organization you drive with is a key factor as far as incident rate, so do your homework and choose wisely - best to stay away if an organization has several incidents at most of their events.

When incidents occur, chance of significant injury is relatively low, but of course outcomes depend on the specifics of the incident (car, safety equipment, track, trajectory, runoff area, etc.), it's not simply random.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:19 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Over the years I have attended around 30-35 events.
No fatalities.
2-3 cars that were damaged enough they had to be towed off the track.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:51 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've attended about 10 track days with PCA and Adui clubs in AZ and Cali over the past 2 years. Yet to see an accident beyond Damage with all 4 off. No wall or roll over incidents. As much as I hate some of the rules, it's the only way I track my cars.

I've seen other groups run when I was not a participant, and it's a completely different story. Keeping the cars of relative value running in the same groups helps too.

I am out if the group thinks one major incident a weekend is good.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:46 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by az audi
I've attended about 10 track days with PCA and Adui clubs in AZ and Cali over the past 2 years. Yet to see an accident beyond Damage with all 4 off. No wall or roll over incidents. As much as I hate some of the rules, it's the only way I track my cars.

I've seen other groups run when I was not a participant, and it's a completely different story. Keeping the cars of relative value running in the same groups helps too.

I am out if the group thinks one major incident a weekend is good.
The worst I saw was probably on my third track day ever. It was with the Norcal Audi Group. They put on a great event.

However, on the morning we newbs all arrived, the instructors were out for a session. We were all watching, when one of the instructors in his nearly brand new S4 got two wheels off, over corrected, and rolled the car about 8 times. Thankfully no injuries, but the car was totaled. Definitely was not a confidence booster for all us new to tracking. No other incidents that day that were significant.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

I've been to well over 100 track days in Colorado and only seen one really sad event where an older guy died of a heart attack while driving - no contact. Seen a bunch of cars with mechanical failure and a few fender benders, but very rare to see serious injuries or total vehicle loss.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
The worst I saw was probably on my third track day ever. It was with the Norcal Audi Group. They put on a great event.

However, on the morning we newbs all arrived, the instructors were out for a session. We were all watching, when one of the instructors in his nearly brand new S4 got two wheels off, over corrected, and rolled the car about 8 times. Thankfully no injuries, but the car was totaled. Definitely was not a confidence booster for all us new to tracking. No other incidents that day that were significant.
if that's crazy perry E, tell him i said hi

Quick Reply: How common are crashes at the track?