Sponsored by:

GT Silver vs White

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts
Default GT Silver vs White

Beyond personal preference, are there any benefits of one of these two colors? I like how the white pops and matches the launch car in all of the posters, etc. But I also like a metallic color like GT silver that is a little different. I wasn't sure if one was more "Porsche racing heritage" or if one would have higher resale value someday.

I also love Agate and Black but feel like it hides the awesome black vent work on the gt3 too much.

My gut tells me stick with white, but I can't seem to put GT silver out of my mind :-).
Old 10-26-2014, 09:37 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I went with a metallic, I think GT Silver would have been it. But I am one of the people that originally wanted paint-to-sample in a bright color and ended up not being able to get it. I was planning on Mexico Blue, so I decided to stay with a non metallic bright color that pops on the road. For this car, I just think it suits it. But you have indeed asked a very subjective personal opinion type question. I like the way the white looks against the black trim. Race car ish. The GT Silver shows the lines of the car better and deeper than any other metallic I think.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

After seeing both, and working on them a lot, GT Silver is definitely more unique than white. With 991 generation, White is a popular color, and it works on the GT3...so, popular, go with white, unique and different, GT Silver. They're look amazing regardless of which one you choose.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

White is a no-brainer. Its a race car color and it looks awesome on the GT3. I was between white, Agate and GT Silver. I eliminated white because I wanted something a little different - lots of white GT3s. Agate is beautiful and has a sinister twist to it, but it has some brown in it that threw me a bit. I think I would have been happy with it but I just couldn't get away from GT Silver. There was a TTS in the showroom at a local dealership that looked very special and I kept coming back to it. Here is a thread by sgroer showing his GT Silver car. While the pictures are awesome it looks even better in person.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...he-s-here.html

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

White = White is nice but no longer unique

GT Silver = Striking and unique!
Old 10-26-2014, 11:51 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

>60% of all GT3's are white. It depends if you want to be part of the crowd or outside it. I have a pure white Cayenne GTS. The matching GT3 would have been a cool match...I went with one of the more uncommon colors....<10%. Silver colors are also part of German race history in addition to white.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:56 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I originally spec'd GT Silver but after seeing many photos I felt like the color blended too much with the wheels and the street. In showrooms it looks great but I thought it would be too subtle on the road.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:00 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I originally spec'd GT Silver but after seeing many photos I felt like the color blended too much with the wheels and the street. In showrooms it looks great but I thought it would be too subtle on the road.
I think it comes down to this. The GT silver is unique, deep, beautiful. But there are lots of silver 911s on the road, I think it is the more subtle choice. While there are many white Porsches, that color on the GT3 just makes it look like a race car driving down the road. Depends what look youre going for.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Interesting conversation on colors I'm in the process on trading my 991S which is Aqua blue, and the dealer thought it was sapphire blue. First thing he said they will have trouble moving it because it's not a desirable color. Ha funny they don't tell you that when you buy the darn things. Once I said sorry it's Aqua blue he gave me a good offer.

My GT3 is metallic white, and I have learned buying cars you must get what you like, and never buy for the new guy. The goodness about the GT3 it will hold value due to the low production, and not so much the color. Hell they're selling the lemon titles with no issues. Good luck with your choices, and the average person has no idea what a race car color looks like on the freeway. They will just say your car is bad ***(:
Old 10-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas991
Beyond personal preference, are there any benefits of one of these two colors? I like how the white pops and matches the launch car in all of the posters, etc. But I also like a metallic color like GT silver that is a little different. I wasn't sure if one was more "Porsche racing heritage" or if one would have higher resale value someday.

I also love Agate and Black but feel like it hides the awesome black vent work on the gt3 too much.

My gut tells me stick with white, but I can't seem to put GT silver out of my mind :-).
How about going the best of both worlds and get metallic white?
Old 10-26-2014, 12:42 PM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes white is common choice for gt3, but the gt3 is not a common car, you won't see many on the road
Old 10-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If Rhodium Silver looks anywhere near as good on a GT3 as it does on a Panamera, that might be another contender. I have always been a fan of the GT Silver, but the Rhodium is quite striking and plays to the positives of GT Silver, White, and Metallic White.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:33 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
If Rhodium Silver looks anywhere near as good on a GT3 as it does on a Panamera, that might be another contender. I have always been a fan of the GT Silver, but the Rhodium is quite striking and plays to the positives of GT Silver, White, and Metallic White.
I liked it enough to order it...
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2014, 03:37 PM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianBond
yes white is common choice for gt3, but the gt3 is not a common car, you won't see many on the road
Exactly. Very true
Old 10-26-2014, 04:06 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Surely one color speaks to you more than the other. I know you like both but it's difficult to like both exactly the same. My car is GT silver and I've never had a car that gets so many compliments on the color. Many comments on the uniqueness of the dark, deep silver.

I am in love with GT silver. I don't think it blends with the wheels - the wheels still have quite a bit of pop. Have you considered black wheels?

I am very biased.

Quick Reply: GT Silver vs White