Sponsored by:

Brembo Type 3 Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:24 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I replaced the pccb rotors on my spyder with brembo type 3. For how much they cost, I was disappointed with how long they lasted. I'm going to guess that OEM rotors will last just as long and will be cheaper. I bedded the rotors per instructions when they were brand new, and they ended up lasting only 12 track days. In fact, oddly enough, the pfc08 pads (barely) outlasted the rotor. The rears still look new, though.
WTF. I'd be furious seeing that after 12 days on a car as light as Spyder. My Alcons on a porky M3 looked better after 30 tracks days - cracks would not even catch a fingernail (except they were worn so thin that the ridges were gone - I live dangerously).

My stock rotors look slightly better than Sam's after 10 track days, so will probably look the same after 13. Tiny cracks appeared after 3-4 days, but they barely grow at all. Unless deterioration accelerates, seems like OEM rotors are good for 20-25 days.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:26 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
No easy one-size-fits-all answer for brake rotor and pad life. I for one am pretty hard on brakes and chew though them pretty quickly. My pad of choice on the 7.2 RS and my Cup is the Endless. Expensive, but well worth it. For a rotor on the RS I used the PFC slotted.
I'm getting endless on Monday as well. Hope PFC makes rotors for 991 GT3 at some point - from what I've seen, PFC appears to be very good in terms of $$$/day ratio.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:28 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
WTF. I'd be furious seeing that after 12 days on a car as light as Spyder. My Alcons on a porky M3 looked better after 30 tracks days - cracks would not even catch a fingernail (except they were worn so thin that the ridges were gone - I live dangerously).

My stock rotors look slightly better than Sam's after 10 track days, so will probably look the same after 13. Tiny cracks appeared after 3-4 days, but they barely grow at all. Unless deterioration accelerates, seems like OEM rotors are good for 20-25 days.
My guess, he is driving the crap out of that Spyder and braking very hard...Alcons are different. He was using brembo.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:58 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
My guess, he is driving the crap out of that Spyder and braking very hard...
I can tell you from first hand experience... Joe is no slouch!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:39 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the input. Back to topic, I heard from a pro racer yesterday that the 991 Cup drivers are unhappy with the PFC setup. Take this FWIW.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:41 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the first time I hear of Endless. Are there discs good but not the pads?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:12 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know for sure, but I believe Endless is only a pad manufacturer. They are a Japanese company and don't seem to have made much headway in getting into the pro racing ranks. In fact, one of their application engineers I met has now defected to Brembo. He said he was disillusioned with their marketing strategy. He also tells me that Brembo is now putting out some fantastic new race pads, but I've yet to try them.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

If my rotors looked like that I'd have a spare set and check them after every run. Takes all of 2 minutes. You might get a few more days out of them. Probably wouldn't be my choice to start a 90 minute enduro on them.

I've heard a few say the Endless pads are pretty good. I've never tried them. I have used Alcons and had great results with them. Took them all the way down to the bottom of the slots and they still had not severely cracked. Tried a set of Colemans and they turned to crap in 3 days.

Two people with the same setup can get quite different results depending on driving style.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I caution anyone against Giro rotors. This is what happened to the last set I bought a couple of years back, after only a handful of track days...
Holy! For my info, what does it feel/sound like when this happens?

WTF. I'd be furious seeing that after 12 days on a car as light as Spyder. My Alcons on a porky M3 looked better after 30 tracks days - cracks would not even catch a fingernail (except they were worn so thin that the ridges were gone - I live dangerously). My stock rotors look slightly better than Sam's after 10 track days, so will probably look the same after 13. Tiny cracks appeared after 3-4 days, but they barely grow at all. Unless deterioration accelerates, seems like OEM rotors are good for 20-25 days.
Yeah, I was less than impressed with the longevity. It costed me $1200 to get a new pair of rings and hardware to replace. I was hoping to get 20 days out of them at least. I didn't know RB had replacement options for me, so I bought another set of brembo. I'll definitely give RB a try next time.

I can tell you from first hand experience... Joe is no slouch!
Aw shucks, thanks Lar (the guy who blows by me like I'm standing still).

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
This is the first time I hear of Endless. Are there discs good but not the pads?
Endless ME20 are supposed to be one of the best pads out there. I love PFC11, but my friend says ME20 are even better. The problem with ME20 is that they are much more expensive. I think like 60% more...
Old 10-26-2014, 09:56 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I have 13 track days on my rotors, with 4 or 5 on OEM pads and the rest R29. Porsche specs says rotors myst be replaced if cracks exceed 5 mm in length (used to be 7mm). Mine are about 7-9 mm but don't look too bad. Can anyone who knows tell me if this looks bad enough to replace? Looking at Joe's, they look pristine
Sam – I think you have some decent life left. My fronts looked like that 3 (hard) trackdays ago and they didn’t get much worse until the end of my last event. Now the cracks are much bigger. Not hole-to-hole, but another day or so and I’ll be there.

I just ordered new front rotors – original factory ones should be toast next week after 11 track days & around 7,500km in total (4,700 miles). I’ve been running mainly at tracks that are very hard on brakes though, so not disappointed in OEM longevity. Looks like Brembo are the only aftermarket option right now. My rears have a long way to go so I just ordered a pair of OEM fronts (bloody expensive!) and will go aftermarket slotted when all 4 give up next time around.

I caution anyone against Giro rotors. This is what happened to the last set I bought a couple of years back, after only a handful of track days...
Damn, that’s not good. Anyone else have bad experience with Giro? I have a few friends who track their 2-piece slotted rotors with great results so I’ve been thinking that would be the move – cheaper than OEM or Brembo (and I thought great performance & wear). Word is they will have discs for our car in 4-6 weeks.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm getting endless on Monday as well. Hope PFC makes rotors for 991 GT3 at some point - from what I've seen, PFC appears to be very good in terms of $$$/day ratio.
Max, they make endless in 991 GT3 sizes? Nice! I was hoping to avoid Pagid if I could. How much are the endless?

Hoping PFC steps up to the plate, but they haven't made anything for the 991 or 981 yet...
Old 10-27-2014, 04:21 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Ideally I would like to use APs J-hook rotors if they will be available for this car. Type 3 seems to be a better option over drilled stock rotors.

I've seen rotors lasting for a very long time and some won't last a few track days. It all depends on how you take care of them.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:35 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know for sure, but I believe Endless is only a pad manufacturer. They are a Japanese company and don't seem to have made much headway in getting into the pro racing ranks. In fact, one of their application engineers I met has now defected to Brembo. He said he was disillusioned with their marketing strategy. He also tells me that Brembo is now putting out some fantastic new race pads, but I've yet to try them.
Endless makes excellent pads, excellent brake fluid and rotors as well. Don't have any experience with rotors, but brake pads are far better than RS19/29 compounds. Great initial bite, good modulation and they last a very long time. Also racing compound seems to be much quiter compare to RS29 or PFC or Hawk pads.

Ganesh designed those pads for Endless and now works at Brembo. New Brembo pads are great but I don't think they are any different from Endless. I used both Endless and Brembo and didn't see any difference in performance. So both work very well!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Endless are awesome pads. I use the MX72 street/track compound on my 993 and if bedded in properly they are silent. They perform and last very well. I have just ordered the same compound for the 991 GT3 and these will be ready mid November (the factory in Japan is running off their first 991 GT3 fitments pads as we speak). The Me22 & Me20 are the perfect compound for guys like Sam & Max whos cars see more track miles than street miles. They would be most similar to R29 but infact superior. Endless fluid is equivalent to SFR Castrol but cheaper and is factory fill for GT3 RSR/Cup in European series....you cant miss them they are blue - this is what they look like fitted to my 993...
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

WOW!! What did you hear and feel when that happened?

Quick Reply: Brembo Type 3 Rotors