Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One configuration consideration/piece of advice for those not locked - INTERIOR

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:58 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default One configuration consideration/piece of advice for those not locked - INTERIOR

My attempt to play it forward a bit...

The full leather or no full leather, stitching deviated, red, platinum, where to add leather, etc. has been discussed to death. So not here to convince you one way or the other on that topic.

However, something I learned when evaluating and talking with Suncoast Parts.

They have for sale the dash and center console trim in a variety of different applications - carbon fiber, aluminum, leather, and painted (in about 20 options, some of which I think would look really great in the car). These painted trim pieces are an easy snap out, snap in. And these deviated paint trims were not an option when ordering.

One of many reasons that convinced me in the end to not get full leather, is the options of these trims in the future. They do not have the pieces for the door to match, and they told me that the entire door panel has to be replaced. So the only way to ensure adjustability to the other trim options later is to leave the doors plain.

The lower alcantera pieces for dash are also available, albeit pricey, but also snap in options (2500).

Again, I know that for many, this is not desireable and they want the added stitching on the dash and doors. I just thought I would make those aware that were on the fence. I plan to live with the standard aluminum for a bit, but might very well decide to switch out for a black or grey painted trim inside. And I might splurge for the lower alcantera dash pieces, which I do not mind. Its the deviated stitching I don't like.

YMMV.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...ERIORTRIM.html
Old 10-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

That's an interesting point.

I'm in a similar boat where I like the leather / Alcantara bits, but I don't like the deviated stitching (looks too busy, not enough "race car".

Curreby my config is platinum stitching in hope that it is subtle (more medium gray than white). But I think no leather may look cleaner.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:48 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
That's an interesting point.

I'm in a similar boat where I like the leather / Alcantara bits, but I don't like the deviated stitching (looks too busy, not enough "race car".

Curreby my config is platinum stitching in hope that it is subtle (more medium gray than white). But I think no leather may look cleaner.
its exactly the reason I skipped full leather.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
its exactly the reason I skipped full leather.
Not worried the stitching on the seats will look out of place without matching in other places?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:11 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

not at all... my view is that there is already plenty of stitching on seats and doors without also putting more of it on the doors and the dash with full leather... this is for me an option that if it was free I still wouldn't get it, but I am definitely in the minority... I just think that fixed back carbon fiber race bucket seats don't go with deviated stitched dash, etc. Too busy for me. Less is more in the interior. If I could get a leather dash with no deviated stitching, I would have done that. If you look in a lot of other high end cars, that's how they do it. In the Porsche 918, the dash is either not leather, or it is leather (likely) and set up the way I describe - dark, subtle, without deviated stitching...
Old 10-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
not at all... my view is that there is already plenty of stitching on seats and doors without also putting more of it on the doors and the dash with full leather... this is for me an option that if it was free I still wouldn't get it, but I am definitely in the minority... I just think that fixed back carbon fiber race bucket seats don't go with deviated stitched dash, etc. Too busy for me. Less is more in the interior. If I could get a leather dash with no deviated stitching, I would have done that. If you look in a lot of other high end cars, that's how they do it. In the Porsche 918, the dash is either not leather, or it is leather (likely) and set up the way I describe - dark, subtle, without deviated stitching...
We are in the minority.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Default Not bad Eh

Last edited by Maverick787; 11-06-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:10 PM
kshu1991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the leather comes with the seat is enough, no need to add more leather.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:19 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Maverick787
looks beautiful... its a FERRARI

That is what Italian cars should look like...
Old 10-19-2014, 07:46 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

918 dash/interior
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Lovely. Still love the stitching(:
Old 10-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

As I've stated before, I love Ferrari sound and appearance but they are a bit impractical to own and drive. I love Porsche sound and performance, but they can look a bit plain on the inside.

Just look how much better the 458 interior looks compared to the 918!

So I ordered a guards red GT3 with leather interior and red deviated stitching including the seat backs and the extended dash leather, because I want my car to be a cross between Porsche performance/reliability and some Italian design flare in the interior.

Last edited by Drifting; 10-20-2014 at 04:38 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-20-2014, 01:36 AM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drifting
As I've stated before, I love Ferrari sound and appearance but they are a bit impractical to own and drive. I love Porsche sound and performance, but they can look a bit plain on the inside. Just look how much better the 458 interior looks compared to the 918! So ordered a guards red GT3 with leather interior and red deviated stitching including the seat backs and the extended dash leather, because I want my car to be a cross between Porsche performance and some Italian design flare in the interior.
+1
Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FeFe did a lot in terms on interior improvement since few years.

I can see on the picture that this 918 is not done with the full deviated stitching. Owner chose probably full black this is it.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just want the alcantara, couldn't care less about the leather. But I need the CF inserts to match the bucket seats. Thanks for the info, my build will lock in two weeks

Quick Reply: One configuration consideration/piece of advice for those not locked - INTERIOR