Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Anyone miss a manual transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:03 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

BTW: for those that consider heel toe and issue of danger and it can be. Porsche has given the 7 mt in the GTS and I presume the 991s with sc. Rev matching capabilities on down shifting. Even though I know how to heal toe and get it right 93% of the time. All that is require now is brake and clutch on down shift. Rather than the left foot clutch, right foot brake and gas configuration which was a douzi to learn.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:07 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
I think for every customer that Porsche lose over making the GT3 a PDK-S only car instead of manual only. They will gain a few extra for having PDK.

The thing that sets this generation of GT3 apart from prior ones (any most other cars in this class) is the fact that it's well behave enough to be driven everywhere. It's this dual character that makes this the best GT3 ever.

The best car for me isn't the car that offers the rawest experience, or the fastest. Instead, it's the car that you can always bring with you. So when the moment is right, it's there for you to take advantage of.
I don't thing your getting my point. Why loose any customers? Just offer a 7 speed MT as well. I don't care if they get a million new ones.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I don't thing your getting my point. Why loose any costumers? Just offer a 7 speed MT as well. I don't care if they get a million new ones.
Makes sense from a logic standpoint offer both. However, from a production/supply chain sourcing standpoint it's make zero economic financial sense. Traded in my 991S manual with 4100 miles last October, and it's still sitting on the lot. Dealers are having a hard time moving the manuals.

It's a business decision cross road make a car for all types, or take the risk to reduce supply chain and keep happy customers. Looks like the risk worked because the inventory is depleted. Can't make everyone happy in business. I would have been happy with the stick if that was the only option, now with being forced to the PDK if had the choice for a stick I would decline. My buddy with a 4.0 RS, and a 25 year Porsche guy said the PDK-S is the best thing he has driven. He's a track guy with over 20 P-cars. Clearly a debate topic, but I doubt if Porsche goes back does not make economical sense going forward.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:40 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't thing your getting my point. Why loose any customers? Just offer a 7 speed MT as well. I don't care if they get a million new ones.
The really sad thing is, there are a lot more two pedal automatic trans guys out there today. I think you would find the major supporters of the automatics are by guys that never really enjoyed a three pedal car for one reason or another.

I watched the review of the Z28 vs the GT3. Completely different cars and there is no doubt that the GT3 quality absolutely blows away the Z28. Having said that, it sure seemed like the driver on the track was a lot more involved with the manual box in the Z28 vs the automatic in the Porsche. He even said, "in the GT3 all you have to do is plant your right foot and let the computer do the rest".
Old 12-29-2014, 02:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Being " involved " is overrated IMO... Who cares about that?! You can learn heal and toe in 15 min on the street,so you can scratch that...
Being able to steer and brake the car on a track are the real challenges. But I've heard the technology they've been using for a few years now on the street cars is coming to the track capable cars. " Lane departure " and " Lane keeping assist " will be coming at software level into " Nail your APEX " technology and " Brake Assist " will be called " Nail your braking point Assist ". Personally,I am looking forward to these technologies as they will make me FASTER!
As a baby boomer,all I want is to be a racer. Lap times are crucial! If I can't be faster than anyone else what's the point... When I buy a car I look at the Ring time : if it's not one of the fastest out there I'm not interested : I don't care what computers help me to get to that performance...it can basically drive itself,all I care is how fast I am!

Hope this clears it once and for all....
Old 12-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rather have a fully optimized PDK-S for the GT3 than option for either a half baked PDK and half baked 7 speed manual.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Ikepotato
Intermediate

This is a point of pain for me, and it seems many of the actual potential BUYERS of these cars.

For some people, the lap time means everything, and that's great for you. If you feel that you will be a better racer with a PDK then great, but stop ****ting on everyone that wants to drive the car and feel it the way you can ONLY do in a true manual.

The new GT3 has more tech and features, a warranty, and updating styling... Why is the 997 gt3 fetching close or MORE than the 991 is getting? The buyers and people who care want the manual.

This is a road-going track car, not an exclusive track car.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:52 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ikepotato
This is a point of pain for me, and it seems many of the actual potential BUYERS of these cars. For some people, the lap time means everything, and that's great for you. If you feel that you will be a better racer with a PDK then great, but stop ****ting on everyone that wants to drive the car and feel it the way you can ONLY do in a true manual. The new GT3 has more tech and features, a warranty, and updating styling... Why is the 997 gt3 fetching close or MORE than the 991 is getting? The buyers and people who care want the manual. This is a road-going track car, not an exclusive track car.
LOL

You're obviously new to the forum and don't know me...read my signature. If you can't see it on the Rennlist app,go to Settings>Show signatures.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by neanicu
LOL

You're obviously new to the forum and don't know me...read my signature. If you can't see it on the Rennlist app,go to Settings>Show signatures.

You caught me off guard as well.
Meteorically speaking I see it this way. Why use the navigation if I already know where I'm going.
At that point the only advantage to a PDK is launch control.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Ikepotato
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neanicu
LOL

I saw your icon and was confused too.

Cheers
Old 12-30-2014, 01:53 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

disclaimer: I have never driven an auto rev matching manual. I think its kind of hypocritical to be against the PDK-S and be ok with a rev matching manual
Old 12-30-2014, 02:47 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

FWIW,for those who don't know,the rev matching feature only activates when driving the car in Sport Plus for 991 models 2013 and on that come with the optional Sport Chrono pkg. If you want to rev match yourself just drive it in Sport. Win-win situation in my book...
BTW,I do not believe anyone " is against " PDK-S...at least those passed primary school shouldn't " be against " it...
Old 12-30-2014, 02:56 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by dark knight
disclaimer: I have never driven an auto rev matching manual. I think its kind of hypocritical to be against the PDK-S and be ok with a rev matching manual
Your correct. I had only mentioned it because someone suggested that heel toe can be dangerous if not executed by a professional.
I also just want to clarify that I'm not against auto transmissions. I am against Porsche for not offering a 7 MT as an option for those that like it. That's all. Now If I were hypocritical I would get out the steel horse altogether in favor of walking.

Quick Reply: GT3 Anyone miss a manual transmission??