Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Anyone miss a manual transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 07:16 PM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO; I do not because I have 997.1 6-speed 911 turbo, and drive it occasionally; it is still fun to be able to operate the manual properly (toe-and-heel, rev-matching, etc...) Nevertheless, I use the turbo less often now because I prefer PDK-S in GT3. Having said that, I find it difficult to abandon stick shift entirely but not in GT3 (had 996 GT3 for several years).
Old 12-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Manual??? What's that?
Old 12-26-2014, 02:06 AM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

Manual transmission/stick shift
Old 12-26-2014, 08:35 AM
LindsayMac
Advanced

I imagine this is a natural progression, similar to the Nissan GTR. The way this car revs and accelerates especially on a Scottish B road you are seriously "busy" in the vehicle and the PDK-S is outstanding. I always heel and toe and to be honest I don't miss it, with the lesser cars in the family I can play with the 3 pedals but happy happy with the PDK except during tight manoeuvres, parking etc.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:34 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

This pic says it all. You are either part of the experience or along for the ride. The good news is the automatic cars will continue to drive up the values of the older three pedal cars.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2014, 01:52 PM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

your are entitled to your opinion. Fortunately you have a choice; don't buy 991 GT3.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:11 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRossRSA
This pic says it all. You are either part of the experience or along for the ride. The good news is the automatic cars will continue to drive up the values of the older three pedal cars.
Totally disagree with that take (other than the values of the older cars). The GT3 with the PDK-S is a perfect combination. You are definitely not just along for the ride. I have always had manual transmissions in cars and still own three MT cars - 2 of them are 911 Porsche's. Comments like these come from folks who haven't had the opportunity to ring out a 991 GT3.

If you have the opportunity, take it and I'm confident you will be impressed with the experience. To me, I enjoy shifting a car for sure; but that is a small aspect to the enjoyment factor. I don't get the high mystique awarded the manual transmission. My 17 year old son can heel/toe rev match. It's not like it's some crazy super skill of the driver elite.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:02 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Totally disagree with that take (other than the values of the older cars). The GT3 with the PDK-S is a perfect combination. You are definitely not just along for the ride. I have always had manual transmissions in cars and still own three MT cars - 2 of them are 911 Porsche's. Comments like these come from folks who haven't had the opportunity to ring out a 991 GT3.

If you have the opportunity, take it and I'm confident you will be impressed with the experience. To me, I enjoy shifting a car for sure; but that is a small aspect to the enjoyment factor. I don't get the high mystique awarded the manual transmission. My 17 year old son can heel/toe rev match. It's not like it's some crazy super skill of the driver elite.
+1000
Old 12-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I would just like to say to those who haven't tried PDK-S before making a comment. Give it a shot, and when you do, "Shut up and drive!"
Old 12-26-2014, 05:55 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drove the PDK-S for about 4 hours in Munich suburbs and the autobahn. Great gearbox, best dual clutch I've driven. That said…

991 GT3? Not for me. I like "rowing" in my car, it's fun. It takes a little more energy than flicking my fingers. So I got to eat a little more.

Left foot braking? Don't need a clutch delete to do that.

Evolution? Plasma TVs still have the best picture. Plenty of extinct species that "evolved."

Some people like manual and some don't. One is better than the other in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:25 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
Drove the PDK-S for about 4 hours in Munich suburbs and the autobahn. Great gearbox, best dual clutch I've driven. That said… 991 GT3? Not for me. I like "rowing" in my car, it's fun. It takes a little more energy than flicking my fingers. So I got to eat a little more. Left foot braking? Don't need a clutch delete to do that. Evolution? Plasma TVs still have the best picture. Plenty of extinct species that "evolved." Some people like manual and some don't. One is better than the other in the eye of the beholder.
Wait, plasma? You're kidding I assume? 4k led ips is far superior in every possible way.

How do you down shift and left foot brake? Just curious.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:51 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Wait, plasma? You're kidding I assume? 4k led ips is far superior in every possible way.

How do you down shift and left foot brake? Just curious.
Do you watch TV in a distance of 2 ft or less? Just curious.

Why would I need to downshift and left foot brake? Is there an advantage to downshifting and left foot braking versus heel toeing?
Old 12-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Kaes
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a lot of guys miss the manual, and I can understand why. Now that I've driven the PDK-S, if there was a choice, I would still choose it over a manual for the 2015 GT3.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:47 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like / have both and also i like sequential the Most on track. That being said, pdk is amazing but hate how you can't get to neutral on the stick without going to D first. Also dislike having to hold both paddles down to go to N and STAY there while coming to a light... If you lift either one of your fingers it goes back to gear.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:08 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
I like / have both and also i like sequential the Most on track. That being said, pdk is amazing but hate how you can't get to neutral on the stick without going to D first. Also dislike having to hold both paddles down to go to N and STAY there while coming to a light... If you lift either one of your fingers it goes back to gear.
There's a reason for selecting neutral at a stoplight with a MT but there really isn't with PDK-S. It's true that 1st gear still shows in the display, but the clutches are actually completely disengaged without even the partial engagement simulating auto gearbox creep that one gets with regular PDK.

At a stop, hopefully with your foot on the brake, you're essentially in neutral until you step on the gas again to re-engage the drive. Why bother to hold the paddles or shift the lever to N?

Quick Reply: GT3 Anyone miss a manual transmission??