Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Anyone miss a manual transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:01 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kept the M3 6 speed to row if I get the urge.

One of the reasons I bought the GT3 was for the PDK-S. It is even better than I thought it would be. I do not miss it in the GT3 at all.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Miss The manual? Yes And no. Today I took back to back rides. GT3 first (delivered by Santa last Saturday) then the 997.1S. The PDK-S in auto mode is nothing to write home about. Manual and PDK-S exceptional, superb. Use my fingers to shift, keep my hands on the wheel as The Lord intended. Becomes second nature very quickly. The 997S manual delightful, notchy, very satisfying matching revs! Yes and no...maybe.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Now that there are a bunch of new GT3s on the road with the super revised PDK, my question is, do any of you guys miss rowing through the gears? I am not lucky enough to have a new GT3 yet but I just got an M4 w the DCT. While it is pretty cool and very efficient I can see missing the manual box sometimes in my old 997. After you have experienced the new would anyone consider going back?
Jim
I don't really miss it. I had a M5 with DCT and I was missing it. The F10 M5 just didn't give the visceral feel I missed in previous cars. So I bought a 991S in 7-speed manual. I had an opportunity to get out the Carrera and get a GT3. The M5 was also traded in prior and I got a M4 as well.

That all being said, the PDK in the GT3 is truly sublime. The DCT is inferior compared the PDK-S. The way it shifts feels so much faster, visceral, and F1 like. I will say however the DCT is a little smoother and feels less mechanical around town. So to answer your question, No I don't miss it. For track use its one less thing to do while negotiating maneuvers albeit some people yearn for that. I enjoy both but in this particular car you still feel very connected...IMO at least.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-25-2014, 12:14 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will let you know in a few months. Not driven the 991 GT3 yet, I can't wait to experience what I'm in for. Hopefully it's as exciting as each and everyone of you are saying.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:35 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
I don't really miss it. I had a M5 with DCT and I was missing it. The F10 M5 just didn't give the visceral feel I missed in previous cars. So I bought a 991S in 7-speed manual. I had an opportunity to get out the Carrera and get a GT3. The M5 was also traded in prior and I got a M4 as well.

That all being said, the PDK in the GT3 is truly sublime. The DCT is inferior compared the PDK-S. The way it shifts feels so much faster, visceral, and F1 like. I will say however the DCT is a little smoother and feels less mechanical around town. So to answer your question, No I don't miss it. For track use its one less thing to do while negotiating maneuvers albeit some people yearn for that. I enjoy both but in this particular car you still feel very connected...IMO at least.

Happy Holidays
Agree with your comments on the DCT, but it's a perfect pair.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Maverick787; 01-17-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:54 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Agree with your comments on the DCT, but it's a perfect pair.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not at all. In fact, I sold all my classics that had H-pattern manual transmissions.

Hopefully one day Porsche will use a version of PDK in the Cup. The 997 and 991 Cup car sequential is way faster than the old H-pattern in 996 Cups. But it's still somewhat archaic in its operation (and the very heavy clutch/light flywheel combo is a major PITA in the pits/paddock).
Old 12-25-2014, 01:08 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Easiest way to answer this is that I HATE that I love the PDK-S...never thought that I would love it as much as I do. I have in the past been just about the most stubborn person in north america about needing a manual to really be a motorsports car. I couldn't have been more wrong and the track and DD have proved it over and over to me. I am lucky enough that I can get my manual feel with several other cars I own but this car is just so fast on shifts (458 as well)...it really does feel like a race car box. When you accept that its faster then you won't miss a manual much.
+1. Could not have said it better.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:14 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RUF RS
+1. Could not have said it better.
Agree 100 percent!!!! The manual is better suited for driving when the fastest pace is not needed. It is fun, involved, pleasing.......but too much so when needing full concentration on the track. That's why it is not in motorsports anymore.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get my pleasure form the feel of the car as a whole. Manual box is a big part of that in that it allows you to better steer the car with throttle, both on and off with delicate modulation. This is not lost with the PDKs in any way. I even like the feel pulling away in that you can feel the clutch take up just without the left foot. As far as what to do with my left hand; best for driving tends to be 10 and 2 on the wheel and just take away to right hand long enough to row a gear. I for one and no missing this, so in my mind I gained a bunch and lost nothing.

If speed is the issue and left foot breaking is best and learning to properly modulate using left foot is a whole new challenge.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:10 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual Verses PDK

98/993 verses 2014 Cayman S with all the go fast options & PDK. Mountain driving plenty of real curves. 993 I feel that I am more involved with the car. Gear selections (anticipation of the correct gear for the curve and hill) power band and getting a good smooth shift. I feel that I am driving the entire car. PDK seem to be in more control than I like. Yea yea I know use manual. Well I do but the paddles are often in the wrong position for shifting on curves. Use the stick for shifts. Ok, get used to one pattern and when I get the GT3 a new pattern. I am a old man and learn slow. Overall I love the PDK. Tincture of time will cure all.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:15 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual Verses PDK

98/993 verses 2014 Cayman S with all the go fast options & PDK. Mountain driving plenty of real curves. 993 I feel that I am more involved with the car. Gear selections (anticipation of the correct gear for the curve and hill) power band and getting a good smooth shift. I feel that I am driving the entire car. PDK seem to be in more control than I like. Yea yea I know use manual. Well I do but the paddles are often in the wrong position for shifting on curves. Use the stick for shifts. Ok, get used to one pattern and when I get the GT3 a new pattern. I am a old man and learn slow. Overall I love the PDK. Tincture of time will cure all.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MACH 86
If you have not driven a PDKs then give us an update when you do. Much more manual like to me than PDK. As for preselecting a gear for a turn, you have a point of that means your intention is to use that gear though the whole turn. If an increasing radius then the PDKs gets five stars.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:12 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

PDK-S is just perfect and there is absolutely no way I would order a stick over PDK-S. Hope other mfg can mimic GT3 solution.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I miss the manual tranny. Gives me a reason to buy another car just for that

Quick Reply: GT3 Anyone miss a manual transmission??