Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to do a DIY 991 GT3 Oil Change

Old 11-13-2014, 07:00 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Christian, I'm pretty sure that the model 1532 jack and the model 1533 jack are identical; the 1533 just comes packaged with jackstands. They look the same and I can only find one 2 ton aluminum racing jack on the OTC web site. The descriptions on Amazon are the same too; 5 pumps with an 18" maximum height. Also, my jack only measures 24" long (not counting the handle) so I think the dimensions on Amazon refer to the overall packaging not the jack itself.

All that said, I have the 1532.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1533-Alumi...words=otc+1533
Thanks Mike! Thanks for links!
Adding that to my shopping list!
My freaking Sales guy said that to change the oil the service dept. needs to remove rear bumper. Can you believe the stupidity?
Old 11-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
That is where I planned to buy it hence the size confusion. I noticed you removed the side handles on your Jack. I assume that is necessary for Jack point stand clearance ? the stands are impressive. I am getting all these parts and accessories and I don't have a car yet...lol
I also got my sharwerks kit today and was checking out the tips...they are massive...my excitement level is hard to contain.
Yup, at least one handle must be removed so that the stand can straddle the jack frame and be properly positioned under the lifting pad. For max flexibility in placing the stand I removed both handles. Fortunately it's a cinch to do and if you need them on the jack again for some other purpose they can be reinstalled very easily. Hang in there, your time will come!

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Thanks Mike! Thanks for links!
Adding that to my shopping list!
My freaking Sales guy said that to change the oil the service dept. needs to remove rear bumper. Can you believe the stupidity?
My pleasure, Rob. Your sales guy must have gotten the air and oil filters confused; I believe the bumper does have to come off for the air filters. As for stupidity, nothing surprises me any more! lol
Old 01-06-2015, 10:49 PM
carlostmata
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, or anybody who has done a DIY oil change on a 991 GT3.

I purchased the oil filter and the two seals from a Porsche dealership, but they also sold me the o-ring (99970134240). I questioned whether this o-ring was needed or not and the person I was talking to told me that he was not sure, but the diagram seemed to indicate it was needed (see the diagram below). It seems to go on the threads where the filter mounts. When I removed the filter I could not find any o-ring, so I didn't include it. I was wondering if anybody has run into this. Has anybody witnessed their dealership performed an oil change? Now I'm wondering whether this o-ring is needed or not.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:59 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Interesting about the O ring. I looked at the PET diagram I have which is dated 02.02.14 and it also shows the O ring. I'll ask the Tech at my dealership about it.

Mike, did you send an oil sample out for analysis?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:24 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by carlostmata
Mike, or anybody who has done a DIY oil change on a 991 GT3.

I purchased the oil filter and the two seals from a Porsche dealership, but they also sold me the o-ring (99970134240). I questioned whether this o-ring was needed or not and the person I was talking to told me that he was not sure, but the diagram seemed to indicate it was needed (see the diagram below). It seems to go on the threads where the filter mounts. When I removed the filter I could not find any o-ring, so I didn't include it. I was wondering if anybody has run into this. Has anybody witnessed their dealership performed an oil change? Now I'm wondering whether this o-ring is needed or not.

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Interesting about the O ring. I looked at the PET diagram I have which is dated 02.02.14 and it also shows the O ring. I'll ask the Tech at my dealership about it.

Mike, did you send an oil sample out for analysis?
I had a conversation with the folks at Suncoast about this as they originally included the O-ring in their kit. They forwarded me a copy of that PET and we talked about it at some length as they were unsure if it was need as well.

I have never seen an O-ring used with a spin on filter so I was skeptical that one would be needed in this application. As a result, like you carlos, I paid very close attention as I was removing the old filter and there was no existing O-ring to be found anywhere. I double and triple checked, then just spun on the new filter and seated it with it's built in gasket. Given that there is also an adaptor shown in that diagram I wonder if that PET shows some previous iteration of the filter assembly. FWIW, after 2K miles there have been no leaks, weird oil pressure readings, or any sign of a problem. If there is a problem with the installation then it's a problem that existed already with my new motor as there was no O-ring on that sucker from the factory.

Alan, I didn't send the oil out for analysis.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^thats interesting cuz Ive never heard of that before. Thats why the built in gasket is there.
Perhaps this was BEFORE the recall?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kosmo
^^^thats interesting cuz Ive never heard of that before. Thats why the built in gasket is there.
Perhaps this was BEFORE the recall?
Exactly....
Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Exactly....
Being that's a PET for a MY14, I wonder if there is a different version of that PET for MY15 not showing the O-ring?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

The date on the PET in post 50 is 19.12.14. Less than a month old.

I agree with Mike I have never seen an O-ring like the one on the PET diagram for a spin on filter.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The date on the PET in post 50 is 19.12.14. Less than a month old.

I agree with Mike I have never seen an O-ring like the one on the PET diagram for a spin on filter.
Good catch Alan. Once I saw where it said 14MY, never scanned across the rest of the top line. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:07 AM
carlostmata
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to one of the mechanics from my dealer and he told me that he has changed the oil on one GT3 and he does not recall the o-ring. He said that that part of the engine did not change from the old to the new engines, so that is not the issue. I'll be taking the car to the 48 hours of Sebring, so I'll definitely know if there is something wrong. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:15 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought. Does anyone with a CUP car have the ring at the oil filter? Perhaps it is a motorsports design, and was put into the PET diagrams as it "could" be used, but for street purpose designed oil filters, it doesn't need it? Is there different oil filter design requirements for motorsports?
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by carlostmata
I talked to one of the mechanics from my dealer and he told me that he has changed the oil on one GT3 and he does not recall the o-ring. He said that that part of the engine did not change from the old to the new engines, so that is not the issue. I'll be taking the car to the 48 hours of Sebring, so I'll definitely know if there is something wrong. I'll keep you posted.
really? the mezger had a cartridge type filter on the top of the engine and the 991 has a canister filter on the bottom.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Just a thought. Does anyone with a CUP car have the ring at the oil filter? Perhaps it is a motorsports design, and was put into the PET diagrams as it "could" be used, but for street purpose designed oil filters, it doesn't need it? Is there different oil filter design requirements for motorsports?
well the 991 Cups are stilling using the old engine design.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Great post! It should be pinned. The Jackpoints are the way to go - beautiful design. I like the OTC floor jack, however, someone I know has this one from Harbor Freight and is very pleased. He does not have Jackpoints, but a while ago I emailed the Jackpoint manufacturer inquiring about these and he said it should fit and had also good feedback on these jacks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to do a DIY 991 GT3 Oil Change