Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to do a DIY 991 GT3 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:14 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Great writeup! I'll definitely try it for next oil change.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I enjoy doing my own oil changes and I'm glad sharing my experience was useful.

As for the jack stands, Montoya had the link to the site in his post but here it is again:

http://jackpointjackstands.com/

They are made in the USA and very nicely done. The pics below show how they work. The aluminum pin fits through a hole in the replaceable rubber piece which then is placed on top of the pad which has a recessed area to accommodate the pin. The pad comes in different sizes; the low profile version is appropriate for low cars like Porsches.

The pad goes on the jack and the pin is aligned with the hole in the jacking point on the frame. The car is raised high enough to slide the stand under the pad from the back side with the opening in the stand straddling the jack. The pad is then lowered onto the stand and the jack can be removed and used at the next jacking point. Each stand is capacity rated at 4000 lbs so they can be used with much heavier vehicles if desired.

They aren't cheap but neither is my car or my body parts. I really like them.

BTW, for those asking about the jack, it's available on Amazon. It's also a nice piece and comes with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1532-Capac...words=otc+jack
Attached Images      
The following 3 users liked this post by Mike in CA:
Captain_ (02-25-2021), Grdi (06-04-2020), JT198 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-17-2014, 01:49 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Every forum should have a Mike in CA.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:03 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Great, Mike. As always very helpful. Where did you get those jack stands from? They seem ideal. As a side note, how do you like the i3? Is it what you expected? Are you getting the mileage advertised or less?
Thanks, Sam. Hopefully the bit above answers the jack stand question. We really like the i3 so far. Nowhere near as beautiful or sexy as your i8 but it does what it's designed to do. The mileage is coming up a little short of what was advertised but to be fair we've been using the car with AC on a lot during our recent warm spell and on the freeway I zip along at 65-70 with the rest of the traffic. In the middle mode which limits speed to 75 and cuts back a little on AC we're getting about 80 miles of range which is off of the 90-100 that was advertised. We (well, I) would get more with a lighter foot. The nice thing is that the range extender motor kicks in to charge the battery when it get's low and gives another 60-70 miles with no noticeable fall off in performance. It's not a long distance cruiser, but then that's not what it was designed for.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Great write up Mike! I knew it would be coming from you!
Thanks for keeping the 991GT3 forum interesting!
I'll just mention if you don't mind...I would add a brief write up about how you got the car off the ground and onto the jack stands :lifting points etc.(for those that might not be familiar...and no offense,reading the forum lately,I reckon they'll be a few... )
Also,do you have better pictures with the filter and its location?

It is rewarding in the end,isn't it? That beer certainly tastes better after some good work!

Enjoy Mike!

Thanks Nick. To add briefly to what I wrote above on the jack stands, and for those unfamiliar with Porsches, there are four jacking points on the frame that are identified in the manual. Each jack point has a hole for a specialized pad. I lift the car from the rear first, one stand on each side. (I block the front wheels just in case the car wants to roll once the braked rear wheels are off the ground) Then I raise the front end. It's interesting that after the first front jack is in place the chassis is so stiff that I barely need to raise the other front jacking point to get the stand under it.

I don't have any other pics of the filter but it's easy to locate once the engine guard is off. The pic with the "oil filter" label and the pic below that are taken at the front of the engine right next to the transverse beam with "Porsche" embossed on it. You can't really miss the filter.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by silverrules
What was your mileage for the 1st oil change?
Kamal, I'm almost at 2000 miles on the second motor. I actually wanted to do the change sooner, right after I finished my break-in but a number of things, including getting the parts issue straightened out conspired to keep that from happening.

Originally Posted by Money2536
Yes! You just saved me a few hours trying to figure this out. I'm psyched that the oil filter is underneath the car. I just ordered the filter kit from Suncoast on Monday and got it today. Thanks!
Money, make sure you have the right parts before you start the project. Originally the kit I got from Suncoast included the filter, two oil pan plugs and sealing rings (you only need one of each), no oil tank plug and sealing ring, and some small rubber O rings that weren't required.

I was on the phone today with them finalizing the info on the kit so if you got yours last Monday I'm not sure what they sent you. At minimum you need the filter and new sealing rings for the oil pan plug and the oil tank plug. (they are different sizes). I don't know if they have now decided to include a new oil pan plug and oil tank plug.

I'd also suggest that you think about buying the Porsche oil filter tool if you didn't already. If you believe you have something that will work you may want to test first to see if it will fit. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2014, 04:17 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those jacks are very nice. Best I've seen!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Awesome Mike. Can you also do a report on how to change the oil in my VW polo?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is excellent Mike! Great effort
Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Money, make sure you have the right parts before you start the project. Originally the kit I got from Suncoast included the filter, two oil pan plugs and sealing rings (you only need one of each), no oil tank plug and sealing ring, and some small rubber O rings that weren't required.

I was on the phone today with them finalizing the info on the kit so if you got yours last Monday I'm not sure what they sent you. At minimum you need the filter and new sealing rings for the oil pan plug and the oil tank plug. (they are different sizes). I don't know if they have now decided to include a new oil pan plug and oil tank plug.

I'd also suggest that you think about buying the Porsche oil filter tool if you didn't already. If you believe you have something that will work you may want to test first to see if it will fit. Good luck!
Thanks! I'll check out the acutal parts I got. I ordered it this Monday and got it on Wednesday, so I hope it's up-to-date. I take a photo and post it. I also got the Filter tool.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:17 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Very nice Mike. Old school.

Dan (pays to avoid oil disposal and for record of changes at dealership for warranty compliance)
Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Looks like all- in on good oil and the filter kit shipped you're out about $150 in parts for the oil change.

What is the standard dealer rate for a GT3 oil change?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:34 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Mike - I'm ordering 4- JackPoint Stands and the OTC 2 ton Aluminum stand now!!
Al the best with your new toy!!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Awesome Mike. Can you also do a report on how to change the oil in my VW polo?
LOL!

Originally Posted by hfm
Very nice Mike. Old school.

Dan (pays to avoid oil disposal and for record of changes at dealership for warranty compliance)
Our weekly recycler provides containers for used oil and a bag for the filter. I keep the receipts for the parts and document mileage and date which is all you need for warranty issues; never been questioned.

Mike (who worries about that stuff too...now Dan has me doing it!)

Originally Posted by Mech33
Looks like all- in on good oil and the filter kit shipped you're out about $150 in parts for the oil change.

What is the standard dealer rate for a GT3 oil change?
The cost of the Suncoast kit has gone up; looks like they now include both drain plugs. If you just bought the filter and sealing rings (you don't need to replace plugs every time), it would be cheaper than the $54 they're charging. Still total cost is more like $130 with shipping, including $65 for oil from Amazon. I think a change at the dealer is about $300 as you'd get to add labor to those parts plus, in my case, travel time and expense.

AFAIC, it's not about the money anyway. I enjoy being able to do some of the maintenance on my car.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:19 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Those jack stands are pretty cool. We must be killing the website though, it's unresponsive... lol
Old 10-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
AFAIC, it's not about the money anyway. I enjoy being able to do some of the maintenance on my car.
It's definitely nice bonding time with your new baby.

Quick Reply: How to do a DIY 991 GT3 Oil Change