Sponsored by:

advice needed on track driving.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 PM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default advice needed on track driving.

Question is what helmet should I buy? Open or full face?
3point seatbelt or more?
Where should I put fire extinguisher? Roll cage or under seat?
What kind of data logger should I buy?

I am getting the yellow gt3 with club sport packge.
Will track the car with instructor for the most time. He will teach me full time for this winter.
I will learn to drive but no intension of racing at all. Just want to find out how to handle the car and to learn how to enjoy on the track safely so later on if I want to track my other expensive cars, I should know what I am doing. Mainly this lessons from pro driver is for fun not competition.
Lesson will consist of at least 10 days.
What do you think?
Thank you all.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Full face, you need a roll bar or harness bar to use 5 or more pt. Harnesses
Extinguisher under the seat is more driver accessible...the whole point. Placing it with brackets on the roll bar is semi poser, IMO.
data logger ? Get on the track first, lol......aim system appeals to me.
Through instruction and experience, everything will fall into place. Don't rush it, enjoy it. Sounds like you have funds to invest into your driving project.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:18 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Club-sport package comes with roll/harness bar and bucket seats (and harnesses too?), so you only need a (full face) helmet and HANS device. You need a 5pt or 6pt harnesses. Fire extinguisher under seat.

Yellow, good color on a GT3.

AiM Solo DL is a great lap timer but you won't be needing one for your first 10-20 track days.

Be warned. Your current plans about racing (or not) and your current appreciation of your other cars are likely to change dramatically going forward. Enjoy it and good luck!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:45 PM
j09333
Instructor

Wow! Quick responses guys!
Thank you rockitman and hf1!
At first, I didn't even look at open faced helmets but the guy at the shop!!! told me since I am not racing at all and will have roll cage, hans and open face with 4 or more point seatbelt will be enough.
I am now confused. I will strap myself tight with seatbelts inside closed car so it feels ok to drive with open face helmet on rather than full face, using its benefit from visibility and less heat issues?
Tried Stilo carbon open face and it was so light and felt good, I wanted to buy one at the spot! Lol.
Originally I wanted to go for Arai full face for it will be easier to have service done if needed.
Buying both will be one solution but the question remains.
Should one wear full face if one will
a. drive non competetive track days
b. strap himself with 4 or more point seat belts
c. be inside of closed car
Old 10-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,924 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Safety is about risk management, and risk is always more than zero, even with the best available safety equipment. Each person has their own risk tolerance, but if one can afford a 991 GT3, no good reason not to invest in maximizing safety while still enabling the car to be driven on the street.

So I'd go with full face helmet, track seats with halos (Porsche bucket seats can be used, but be aware that they lack head/neck protection for side impact), 6-pt harnesses, head/neck restraint (eg, HANS), and fire extinguisher in an accessible location (I don't consider the fire extinguisher to be as mandatory as the other items - fire is much less likely than a crash, previously burning engines notwithstanding). You already have roll bar with the clubsport package. More can be done with safety, but this should be enough. And make sure passenger has (at least) the same protection as the driver.

Find a great instructor, follow her instructions, be patient, and have fun! Data logger not needed right now, focus on the basics.

Edit: Just saw your second post. Ignore the guy at the shop.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:59 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Halo seats to drive on the street ? talk about blind spots. I think that's a bit over the top for a beginner, don't you think ? If I were to race my car, it would soon become inadequate for street. If you want to have spirited track days...the clubsport package is all you need being over seas and available.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:02 PM
j09333
Instructor

Thank you Manifold!
I knew it!!!!! He was busy handing me open face helmet and telling me why full face is not for me at all. Lol.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:06 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Halo seats to drive on the street ? talk about blind spots. I think that's a bit over the top for a beginner, don't you think ? If I were to race my car, it would soon become inadequate for street. If you want to have spirited track days...the clubsport package is all you need being over seas and available.
I agree - skip the Halos for now. Later on you can add Halos, fire suppression, window nets, Lexan instead of glass etc.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by j09333
a. drive non competetive track days
Stuff happens on the track. When it does, it doesn't matter whether you crashed in a competitive event or just doing laps. Your speed and potential to get hurt will be the same. Get a full face helmet, no question about it. They make them light and very comfortable these days.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,924 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I agree - skip the Halos for now. Later on you can add Halos, fire suppression, window nets, Lexan instead of glass etc.
Sorry, I should have been more specific: Sparco Ergo.

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/ergo
Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Totally agree. Way overkill for the beginner DE student. Just get the car teched and go have fun for the first few events. Make sure this is something you want to do. Believe it or not, some people attempt track driving and don't like it. While others just don't "get it" and OSB (Other Sports Beckon). Don't spend a ton of money on mods and/or extra equipment at the very beginning.

Good luck. Have fun. Listen to your instructor. And don't show up to your first event decked out in Stand 21 gear from head to toe........
Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Full face helmet. No reason not to
Old 10-16-2014, 03:19 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

Full face helmet. When airbag deploys it hurts like hell!!! Anyway drive as is and get a feel for car. Keep your ego at home- most important safety factor. Pca events would be a great start. Mike
Old 10-17-2014, 04:45 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,964 Likes on 915 Posts

With Hans is a full face still recommended?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:05 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
With Hans is a full face still recommended?
Those 2 things are not related, I've been told. Have been shopping for all this stuff over the last couple of weeks because I'll join the new TRD 86 Cup races at Yas coming season. Full face is simply more protection, with very little downside these days. HANS has its own added value and my view is similar to others stated earlier: get the best possible protection, because you'll never know what will happen...

Quick Reply: advice needed on track driving.