Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice needed on track driving.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Schroth makes a set for the Porsche GT2 buckets. See: http://www.usracegear.com/product/SH-91127

You can also get these with 2" shoulder belts for a HANS. Easier to keep on the HANS.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The clubsport package doesn't come with harnesses?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:22 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The clubsport package doesn't come with harnesses?
+1. I thought it does.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 PM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Dosen't say on the option list.
This is one of 2014 onthespot engine swap cars which I didnt order or had interests in until they give huge discount. Saw option list and 6 point harness check box was unchecked, so I assumed it will not have one.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

IMO, no amount of safety gear is 'too much', if one can afford it and prefers to reduce risk. Who cares what other guys in the paddock think? It's YOUR life, and bad things can happen due to no fault of the driver (eg, mechanical failures, fluids on track, etc.). I personally know an experienced driver who was very seriously injured, and another who was killed, both while instructing at DEs. At an event I attended this past weekend, lug bolts broke on a wheel of a car, causing the wheel to come off and sending the car into the woods (fortunately driver was uninjured, possibly due to harnesses, HANS, and halo seats).

And in this discussion, we need to remember the context that we're talking about tracking a 991 GT3, which is an extraordinarily fast car. Even in the hands of a novice, speeds will be high if the instructor doesn't slow things down, and fact is that many instructors will allow relatively high speeds, particularly on straights. But crash energy increases with speed squared, so energy at 150 mph is roughly double what it is 105 mph. Doubling crash energy can mean a difference between no injury and death, in some cases.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:02 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I had never had a serious off in any of the cars I've run in DE and open lapping events. A couple of scares but nothing serious. Got into a Cup car at Barber, 5 laps in felt good and boom into a wall at 90mph. Glad I had the full cage, Halo Recaros and 6 points. Not sure about legality for street but I know I want the full protection now in my GT3. Is it overkill for a nooby? I think it might be the more prudent way to go. especially as you grow in confidence. No one wants it when you don't need it, but I sure am glad I had it when I did, and now I feel really naked in my stock GT3. Can'e imagine really running hard without that stuff and it took a crash for me to feel this way. No disrespect and I understand everyones logic I guess I'm just still gun shy and until I have a better seat and a roll cage I know I'm taking it extremely slow. I think a full face is a must gives you more protection and if anyone gets a chance at open cockpit it's a must, so no brainer for me. I went with Stilo carbon ST wide and very happy. Also fire suit I think is a good investment. Yes only like 2 cars actually caught fire on the street yet I really like my skin so good to have.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:08 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The driver's side harness is included in the Clubsport option but I can't remember if it could be deselected or not (I don't think it could). The option you saw on the option list was most likely the one for the passenger's side, which was a $1200 option for Australia.

You can get exactly the same harness from a UK seller on eBay here; I got one for ~AU$450 delivered and it arrived in less than a week. It has identical Porsche and Schroth part numbers as the factory supplied harness does (991.803.017.90 and 44036B-KIT respectively) and, as a bonus, its certifications expire a year later due to it being manufactured more recently. It comes with all of the mounting hardware required to bolt it into the factory mount points on the chassis.

Quick Reply: advice needed on track driving.