Sponsored by:

Door VIN sticker

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Door VIN sticker

Hello all, does anyone know at what point the door vin sticker is installed ( or stuck on ) the door? I am speaking of the black/silver sticker that has the VIN and the build date. It says Made In Germany on the side?

I am specifically speaking in regards to GT3. Many cars were completed, but didn't ship while awaiting a new motor, so will the build date be(an example) February ( when a car was built but held from shipment ) or August (when it got a new motor?)

My initial thought was it would show the February build date, but watching different cars and VINs on ebay suggests that the sticker was placed on after the 2nd motor install, or maybe an updated sticker was installed?

I have been watching every GT3 VIN I can find, and haven't figured this out yet.

Anyone have any idea?

Thank you

Rich
Old 10-14-2014, 02:57 AM
///MMB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand it, the 10th digit in the vin is the MY.

Also every 2014 had a motor replaced and a VIN generated before the stop sale/recall. Any after where labeled 15s.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:06 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Rich, the sticker you are referring to is in the driver's door jamb and was not replaced. It will reflect the month and year of initial production, VIN, manufacturer, and other info, but does not show the engine number.

There are other smaller stickers in 3 locations (edge of hood, passenger door jamb near the door hinges, edge of rear deck lid) that do show only the engine number and VIN. These were to be replaced when new engines were installed.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-14-2014 at 03:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2014, 03:39 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Mike, I don't think that is accurate as pertains to cars that had the swap done at the factory. As I recall, Clocked has a sticker with a July 2014 date, which is consistent with his engine swap date. His car was pulled from the line with the original engine back in February.

My V300 Vehicle Completion date was Sept. 16 ( my engine swap date in Germany) and I fully expect that door sticker to show that same date. The oddity is that there are 2015s with an earlier build date!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:40 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Mike, I don't think that is accurate as pertains to cars that had the swap done at the factory. As I recall, Clocked has a sticker with a July 2014 date, which is consistent with his engine swap date. His car was pulled from the line with the original engine back in February. My V300 Vehicle Completion date was Sept. 16 ( my engine swap date in Germany) and I fully expect that door sticker to show that same date. The oddity is that there are 2015s with an earlier build date!
Mine has the exact same date as clocked.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:53 AM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have maybe the last 14 out of the factory. It was due 11/25 but my salesmen just said it was bumped to months end... It is a 14. I already heard of 15 deliveries soooo... Yeah, they're going out of order
Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Mike, I don't think that is accurate as pertains to cars that had the swap done at the factory. As I recall, Clocked has a sticker with a July 2014 date, which is consistent with his engine swap date. His car was pulled from the line with the original engine back in February.

My V300 Vehicle Completion date was Sept. 16 ( my engine swap date in Germany) and I fully expect that door sticker to show that same date. The oddity is that there are 2015s with an earlier build date!
I guess the question is, at what point in the process does that VIN/build date sticker get applied. If it's applied after all work on the car is complete, which would include the engine swap, then it would make sense that your car would have the later date on the sticker, as well as cars that were pulled from the line. I would expect that all of your stickers, including the small engine ones, would be original and not replacements. Another interesting tweak to this whole mess.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:10 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Racin
I have maybe the last 14 out of the factory. It was due 11/25 but my salesmen just said it was bumped to months end... It is a 14. I already heard of 15 deliveries soooo... Yeah, they're going out of order
I understand that our 2015 even if the reach US shore before yours they well be held up at port till all the 2014 arrive and are delivered. That's what PCNA has informed me.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car had the Factory engine install - Sticker Date June 14.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Mine has a Jan 2014 and expected March delivery but received Aug 23. Have no idea what their method or madness is but I am happy with the compensation and they certainly did a spectacular job with the replacement. As a matter of fact; I do not think those Engineers will ever get the credit they deserve; but how many replacements did they do ? And I have not heard boo about any thing. They took the long but correct action and we all should be ecstatic with the results
Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Mine has a Jan 2014 and expected March delivery but received Aug 23. Have no idea what their method or madness is but I am happy with the compensation and they certainly did a spectacular job with the replacement. As a matter of fact; I do not think those Engineers will ever get the credit they deserve; but how many replacements did they do ? And I have not heard boo about any thing. They took the long but correct action and we all should be ecstatic with the results
Totally agree Jimmy. When I tell the story to friends and family, they are blown away with the service we received.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about 14 deliveries I assumed that the 15s would be held back as well but my MY 15 arrived October 9
Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 PM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

The reason I thought the sticker would reflect the date of the motor swap is I have been following all the vins and build dates. My car was finished and held back at the factory, this was February, I have seen cars with lower VINS by 1-200 units with June and July build dates, so it makes me think the sticker may get updated to the motor swap.

I will know for sure when mine arrives. If it has a 2-14 build date, the sticker stays on, if it has a 8-14 then they changed it with the new motor.

More 2014 exceptions! I will say, if these cars become collectible and we are all long gone, there will be some real confused restorers out there!!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^I hope you'll post the info on your sticker when you get the car. Just another piece of the puzzle as to how all of this was handled by Porsche!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:17 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Hello Doubleurx, not trying to start a fight, but I am not sure what kind of service you got that "blew you or your family away".

I got zip from Porsche until I called them. Then I asked for it in writing and after several calls, I got a vague email.

I call my dealer and he says call my rep. I call the rep and get no response. Being my car is not here, and it was ordered in 2013, and I have no clue as to when it will come, I am not seeing any customer service at all. Yes I paid a deposit in 2013 and had a commission number in January and even a VIN but no car.

Am I doing something wrong? Like I said, I am not trying to fight, I just want to understand what service is/was offered to others?

If I had my car 2 months ago, it may be easier to swallow, but at this point, I think Porsche service ranks pretty low.

Thanks for any insight you can offer

Rich

Quick Reply: Door VIN sticker