Sponsored by:

Event - Smokies & GT3 Sermons in Spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:34 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I feel like al Pacino right now..

Ok, joking aside, a potential itinerary could be as follows.

-Meet in atlanta mid-week at porache in alpharetta in mansell rd... Have them organize a early am catered breakfast for you.
-Drive by the ferrari dealership.. Point and laugh as you pass.
-head up crabapple rd and hwy 9 all the way up to dahlonega up to AMP... Organize some go-kart races at their track so everyone can get a few laughs in and find out who knows how to carry momentum through the curves.. Their karts are slow as **** so it pays to keep the pedal to the metal and pick good lines. -have Jeremy porter set up a private track day at amp.. Have him advertise it as a way to generate memberships.. He'll love having a bunch of gt3's on premises.

-take hwy 9, go over blood mountain hey 129, then wolfpen gap up to suches, then 60 to Morgantown, then up to tellico planes and then cherohalla skyway to fontana, Ab 2 hrs from AMP to the lodge.

-set up a picture at the top of the fontana dam.. Contact Darryl (www.killboy.com) to take your group picture, and set up some organized times to run the dragon as a group and then do more pics at the overlook at other end of the dragon. Make sure to have him do an evening Intel session at the Lodge on who and where the cops are on the dragon!

-plan on 2-3 days there... Roads are infinite and we can go more in detail over these.

-Saturday night organize a big dinner with a speaker.. During ducati event I had the guys from ohlins USA from nearby Hendersonville come over for a suspension clinic.. I asked fontana lodge for av equipment, and ohlins guys left everyone with mouths wide open with thei explanation of how to adjust shocks, and how independently adjustable ttx remote reservoir suspension worked. Do the dinner on the last night before leaving... Huge climax to the whole event and brings everyone together to break bread before departing for home on sun am.

On your way back down to atl, see if you can plan a day or events at road atlanta so you can test top speed of the gt3's on back straight. I used to have a connection at Pirelli in Braselton.. Maybe a factory tour of the tire making facility can be organized, I'll ask, no promises.

Or ask Panoz to see their facility? The options are limitless...

4 days aren't enough for the whole event.. Makes me wish for living on the east coast for a few brief minutes thinking ab how amazing those roads were... 100's of miles of pure racetrack ribbon laid out at intersection of ga, nc, and tn... Just go up there and get lost in the sheer insanity of it all.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:46 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

I almost forgot.. We should call Eric Huffman, old Ducati racer and Porsche academy instructor.. He has a few 911 including a beautoful 997.2 gt3.. He lives in Alpharetta close to dealership.. I bet he would love to do a tech or driving session discussing finer points of some of the roads or cars.. Great friend with amazing driving skills.

Opportunities to make this an epic epic event are limitless. Just will take a strong leader, strong organization, and time.

Haku.. Have fun..;-)
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I almost forgot.. We should call Eric Huffman, old Ducati racer and Porsche academy instructor.. He has a few 911 including a beautoful 997.2 gt3.. He lives in Alpharetta close to dealership.. I bet he would love to do a tech or driving session discussing finer points of some of the roads or cars.. Great friend with amazing driving skills.

Opportunities to make this an epic epic event are limitless. Just will take a strong leader, strong organization, and time.

Haku.. Have fun..;-)
Thank you CA. Great input. With regard to the route I'll reply in more detail later.

You are so right about Eric. He helped spec out my 2S and especially advised me to go for PDCC at a time when the journo's were slagging it. It was by far the best option on that car! I first bumped into him at the Ducati (I had a Diavel) and Moto Guzzi dealership and then at the PDS Barber. Just an awesome instructor. and nice fellow overall.Agree, it would be quite something to have him give a talk or be involved in some way. If you have access to him, could you explore the possibility? That may also influence our date selection.

Ermm, re: strong leader..... Lets make this leader"s"!
Thank you again.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:28 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Allan, great info. Would you take up the banner of Track Activity Planner and folks can channel their contact and relevant input to you?

Yes, I'll be happy to do it. I'll be at AMP on Friday, will check out options and report back. If anyone would like to join me shoot me a PM.
Allan
Would have loved to but my car currently has 48 miles and I'm trying to go light for the first few hundred. Have fun!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Haku.. Have fun..;-)
Wow! CA.... seeing as you reside in California, you sure do know Georgia well!
Impressive. Sounds like you spent some time there too. As I always said, no one's actually from Atlanta, but we have all lived there!
Correct about Eric. Great guy and great PSDS instructor.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

LOL, before I was CAlexio, I was Alexio. Atlanta was my first landing spot when I came to the USA. Spent many weekends riding the north Georgia mountains trying to follow Eric on his bikes with the atlanta ducati owners club, aka the Wildducs (www.wildducs.org). Eric then ended up being one the instructors at porsche driving academy at barber... Whatever that dude drives or rides.. He's fast. Luckily.. He taught me well :-)

Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

I feel like al Pacino right now.. Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in. - YouTube

Ok, joking aside, a potential itinerary could be as follows.

-Meet in atlanta mid-week at porache in alpharetta in mansell rd... Have them organize a early am catered breakfast for you.
-Drive by the ferrari dealership.. Point and laugh as you pass.
-head up crabapple rd and hwy 9 all the way up to dahlonega up to AMP... Organize some go-kart races at their track so everyone can get a few laughs in and find out who knows how to carry momentum through the curves.. Their karts are slow as **** so it pays to keep the pedal to the metal and pick good lines. -have Jeremy porter set up a private track day at amp.. Have him advertise it as a way to generate memberships.. He'll love having a bunch of gt3's on premises.

-take hwy 9, go over blood mountain hey 129, then wolfpen gap up to suches, then 60 to Morgantown, then up to tellico planes and then cherohalla skyway to fontana, Ab 2 hrs from AMP to the lodge.

-set up a picture at the top of the fontana dam.. Contact Darryl (www.killboy.com) to take your group picture, and set up some organized times to run the dragon as a group and then do more pics at the overlook at other end of the dragon. Make sure to have him do an evening Intel session at the Lodge on who and where the cops are on the dragon!

-plan on 2-3 days there... Roads are infinite and we can go more in detail over these.

-Saturday night organize a big dinner with a speaker.. During ducati event I had the guys from ohlins USA from nearby Hendersonville come over for a suspension clinic.. I asked fontana lodge for av equipment, and ohlins guys left everyone with mouths wide open with thei explanation of how to adjust shocks, and how independently adjustable ttx remote reservoir suspension worked. Do the dinner on the last night before leaving... Huge climax to the whole event and brings everyone together to break bread before departing for home on sun am.

On your way back down to atl, see if you can plan a day or events at road atlanta so you can test top speed of the gt3's on back straight. I used to have a connection at Pirelli in Braselton.. Maybe a factory tour of the tire making facility can be organized, I'll ask, no promises.

Or ask Panoz to see their facility? The options are limitless...

4 days aren't enough for the whole event.. Makes me wish for living on the east coast for a few brief minutes thinking ab how amazing those roads were... 100's of miles of pure racetrack ribbon laid out at intersection of ga, nc, and tn... Just go up there and get lost in the sheer insanity of it all.
If you're going to run near Richard B. Russell (Ga Hwy 348) you might as well get it in! IMO best driving road in North Georgia, perhaps the southeast.

There is brand new pavement on the south end of 348 and on all of Wolfpen gap (180) between 60 and 129.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

LOL, before I was CAlexio, I was Alexio. Atlanta was my first landing spot when I came to the USA. Spent many weekends riding the north Georgia mountains trying to follow Eric on his bikes with the atlanta ducati owners club, aka the Wildducs (www.wildducs.org). Eric then ended up being one the instructors at porsche driving academy at barber... Whatever that dude drives or rides.. He's fast. Luckily.. He taught me well :-)
Awesome CA!

ATL was also my first landing spot when I moved here from the UK. For me it is such a treat to be living in this part of the country. I am about 170 miles from ATL up in the Cumberlands of TN. The Smokies and the Cumberland Plateau, the people and culture, I love it all. I count myself very fortunate to be here! Perfect 911 country.

A few years ago I bumped into Eric at the Ducati store (I eventually bought a Diavel) in Atl. We talked and he advised me on what I should look for on my order for my .2 GT3. I took his advice and it was spot on. Then I met him during a PDS at Barber and once again he helped me spec out my 2S. He insisted I go for PDCC, this at a time when all the journos were busy dissing it. It went with his advice, he was so right! He is an awesome instructor and a nice fellow.

So here's my request. If you have access to him, could you inform him of our event and explore the possibility of him conducting a GT3 lab session(tech and driving talk specific to the GT3). Maybe even do this at Barber or AMP.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
If you're going to run near Richard B. Russell (Ga Hwy 348) you might as well get it in! IMO best driving road in North Georgia, perhaps the southeast.

There is brand new pavement on the south end of 348 and on all of Wolfpen gap (180) between 60 and 129.
G, you seem to be well up on local info and roads. Would you be up for the joint position of Route Planner Person Thingy?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
G, you seem to be well up on local info and roads. Would you be up for the joint position of Route Planner Person Thingy?
If there's a portion that's in North Georgia, happy to help. Not as qualified to opine on NC or TN roads.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:27 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had Eric as my instructor in July at Barber. He's great. I was hoping he would be there next week when I go down for GT3 cup experience at Barber. Looks like it's going to be Cass, Hurley, Brian, Owen, Sean, and Peter for instructors. All great!! I'll make sure I get some good GoPro video!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rubbaman
I had Eric as my instructor in July at Barber. He's great. I was hoping he would be there next week when I go down for GT3 cup experience at Barber. Looks like it's going to be Cass, Hurley, Brian, Owen, Sean, and Peter for instructors. All great!! I'll make sure I get some good GoPro video!
That's going to be some crazy fun! I heard from a friend who attended the GT3 cup experience that it's a lot of driving, driving, driving! Packed and tons of fun!

Enjoy, and yes vids and pics please!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:34 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in for sure. The sooner we get firm dates the better for me.

Thanks for organizing this Haku!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _BrakeDust_
I'm in for sure. The sooner we get firm dates the better for me.

Thanks for organizing this Haku!

We should be able to determine the dates soon but it looks like:

April end

or

May
Old 10-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Your GT3 Event Needs You!

A small group of us are meeting on Thursday to firm up a few core things about the event (dates, length of event, potential activities, etc) so please submit any relevant requests/comments/suggestions asap.

Proposed event dates: April end or May

Question to all: How many days should the event last for?

Quick Reply: Event - Smokies & GT3 Sermons in Spring