Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Event - Smokies & GT3 Sermons in Spring

Old 10-13-2014, 05:22 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts

When are you planning the event ?
My car is not due until 1/2/15...would be interested in any January or beyond events
PM incoming to Haku

Bill
Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

I may be in as well, depending on when. If work cooperates timing wise. No reason not to drive the car down.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:11 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

That's great. All dates are open and no date has been decided yet. So why don't you all throw in some dates and we take it from there.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I'm in, now I need my car(: Should be s blast ......too bad the new Porsche NA HQ will not be open yet next to the ATL airport.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/g...n-atlanta.html
Old 10-13-2014, 06:53 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Based on some of the previous years weather patterns, here is my input: Anytime before March, there are some roads, including the Cherahala skyway which tend to be cold or frozen and parts… While it was 70 or 80° in Atlanta, it would be 32 to 40 up on the skyway… You don't want to run into the situation, or worse, freezing rain which happens a lot up there. From April to June you have relatively mild weather, but it does tend to rain more often. Even on motorcycles, we always chose this time. In order to try to avoid the freezing weather at higher altitudes. Anytimeafter June it gets ridiculously hot. September all the way to early November is fantastic with all the leaves falling… Traction can sometimes be an issue with the falling leaves, as well as all the people coming down in RVs to watch the fall colors. All in all, I always have scheduled this event from May 8-11 at Fontana, weekends immediately before and after were occupied by other groups like the mini Cooper gathering which has over 600 cars, and other Harley groups. It's funny that just as I move from motorcycles to cars, and from Atlanta to San Francisco, the same event gets organized in the same part of the country that I am slowly working my way out of. (just this year I turned over the organizer roll to another very dependable guy in the Ducati forum who I know will do a great job.) I'm not out of this GT three group yet, I have been talking to a few people about renting garage space in a flat area of San Francisco… Clearly when the bug bites it bites hard. Regardless though, I would consider flying over to the East Coast for this meet just to watch you guys, I have family in Atlanta and I can rent a car or a motorcycle just to come up and meet some of you in person. Nothing, but nothing increases the quality of a forum, like actually meeting the people you're talking to online. Makes for amazing conversation throughout the rest of the year. I'm excited to see this event come to life, whether I can participate or not.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:47 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

For the list - my car will be Rhodium Silver (with potentially a matte wrap...we shall see)
Old 10-13-2014, 08:42 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kencollinsjr
Haku: I am Facebook friends w/ the director of sales at AMP. Just emailed her about how to go about this. Her name is Emily Stubbs. I'll let the group know what I hear back. I'm not a member though.
Ken,

I also called my guy and left a message, I will also reply when I find out!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

I may be in as well with my incoming 2015 Guards Red GT3.

Alexio speaks wise words from experience. I think anytime in May would be perfect for this.

Last edited by Drifting; 10-13-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-13-2014, 09:25 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest we have only one point of contact at AMP. Jeremy Porter is the Managing Partner and will make all the decisions. It would be preferable to have a date and good estimate of # of cars involved. Audi, PCA, Jaguar, and other groups have rented the track. Usually for a weekend. One day would be ok, but I assure you, it won't be enough to really get the full track experience. I am a Member there and have a lot of laps on the track, I would be happy to help with any aspect if it is decided this would be a fit.
Keep in mind AMP will be about 2+hours each way from our planned meeting area so, at least a full day of the weekend would be absorbed in this activity.
Allan
Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Haku

If you all are gathering for Sermons in the Mountains , you better have a Deacon in the mix

This sounds like it has the makings to be a whole lot of fun , and would really look forward to be

apart of the event if am able ; Please add me with the "*" My order in white schedule to build last

week of this month , Dec Delivery
Old 10-13-2014, 09:39 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drifting

Alexio speaks wise words from experience. I think anytime in May would be perfect for this.
Except for Mother's Day weekend...couple of prior commitments.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:56 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be in. Depends on a lot of work-related factors and timing.

Agate Grey, Nov/Dec arrival.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I'm in, now I need my car(: Should be s blast ......too bad the new Porsche NA HQ will not be open yet next to the ATL airport.
Great, added to the list.
Re. the car?... we all need our cars mate! Otherwise it's going to be a model RC GT3 meet!

Originally Posted by mwar99
I may be in as well, depending on when. If work cooperates timing wise. No reason not to drive the car down.
Originally Posted by mwar99
For the list - my car will be Rhodium Silver (with potentially a matte wrap...we shall see)
Excellent effort mwar99! I was wondering whether we'd get a Rhodium and you turned up. You're dded to the list.

Originally Posted by Drifting
You're added. GR in the Smokies...stunning!
Alexio is quite right. The Smokies and particularly the US129 (The Tail of the Dragon) is packed with car an motorcycle clubs. Whilst one should drive the Dragon at least once, it is not my favourite road in the area. In fact in season the place is crawling with those who protect us. Not much fun I can assure you. The Cherohala is awesome but there are some little used gems in the area that are epic. Collectively I'm sure we'll identify some wonderful driving roads.

Originally Posted by WSH
When are you planning the event ?
My car is not due until 1/2/15...would be interested in any January or beyond events
PM incoming to Haku
Bill
Bill you've been added to the list.
Looks like late April or May seems popular. I hope that works for you.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Based on some of the previous years weather patterns, here is my input: Anytime before March, there are some roads, including the Cherahala skyway which tend to be cold or frozen and parts… While it was 70 or 80° in Atlanta, it would be 32 to 40 up on the skyway… You don't want to run into the situation, or worse, freezing rain which happens a lot up there. From April to June you have relatively mild weather, but it does tend to rain more often. Even on motorcycles, we always chose this time. In order to try to avoid the freezing weather at higher altitudes. Anytimeafter June it gets ridiculously hot. September all the way to early November is fantastic with all the leaves falling… Traction can sometimes be an issue with the falling leaves, as well as all the people coming down in RVs to watch the fall colors. All in all, I always have scheduled this event from May 8-11 at Fontana, weekends immediately before and after were occupied by other groups like the mini Cooper gathering which has over 600 cars, and other Harley groups. It's funny that just as I move from motorcycles to cars, and from Atlanta to San Francisco, the same event gets organized in the same part of the country that I am slowly working my way out of. (just this year I turned over the organizer roll to another very dependable guy in the Ducati forum who I know will do a great job.) I'm not out of this GT three group yet, I have been talking to a few people about renting garage space in a flat area of San Francisco… Clearly when the bug bites it bites hard. Regardless though, I would consider flying over to the East Coast for this meet just to watch you guys, I have family in Atlanta and I can rent a car or a motorcycle just to come up and meet some of you in person. Nothing, but nothing increases the quality of a forum, like actually meeting the people you're talking to online. Makes for amazing conversation throughout the rest of the year. I'm excited to see this event come to life, whether I can participate or not.
CAlexio, true and very useful information. Along with others who have experience of the locality, your input will help determine the date, time, and route. Lets get you on the drives and route planning group. I'm familiar with the area as well but have not organised any events like this before. So I'd be eager to have you onboard. Any others with experience of the area and who could join the Route Planners?

It would be simply awesome if you could come over and partake in any way, shape or form! If you get yourself or make it in a GT3, even better! I do hope your garage woes sort themselves out.

Originally Posted by allans
I would suggest we have only one point of contact at AMP. Jeremy Porter is the Managing Partner and will make all the decisions. It would be preferable to have a date and good estimate of # of cars involved. Audi, PCA, Jaguar, and other groups have rented the track. Usually for a weekend. One day would be ok, but I assure you, it won't be enough to really get the full track experience. I am a Member there and have a lot of laps on the track, I would be happy to help with any aspect if it is decided this would be a fit.
Keep in mind AMP will be about 2+hours each way from our planned meeting area so, at least a full day of the weekend would be absorbed in this activity.
Allan
Allan, great info. Would you take up the banner of Track Activity Planner and folks can channel their contact and relevant input to you?

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Haku

If you all are gathering for Sermons in the Mountains , you better have a Deacon in the mix

This sounds like it has the makings to be a whole lot of fun , and would really look forward to be

apart of the event if am able ; Please add me with the "*" My order in white schedule to build last

week of this month , Dec Delivery
Heavens above! We are glad to have you on board!
You've been added to the list and as we know... ask and ye shall be receive! You've been assigned the role of "Preacher & GT3 Sermon Giver". We look to you for all things spiritual & inspirational, safety, and fair weather. Any of this screws up and we know who to come after!

Originally Posted by 1pvr
I could be in. Depends on a lot of work-related factors and timing.
Agate Grey, Nov/Dec arrival.
You've been added to the list. Welcome! Just let our ^Preacher take care of all your work-related and other stuff. He'll fix it!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sideh2o
Please add me to the list. I live in Buckhead as well.....sapphire blue expected delivery the end of December.

A drive sounds great!

sideh2o
You've been added to the list. Welcome!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 AM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allan, great info. Would you take up the banner of Track Activity Planner and folks can channel their contact and relevant input to you?

Yes, I'll be happy to do it. I'll be at AMP on Friday, will check out options and report back. If anyone would like to join me shoot me a PM.
Allan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Event - Smokies & GT3 Sermons in Spring