Sponsored by:

Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:25 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Hey Matt, in your 2nd day video of the Smoky trip your trailer had no running lights. And you mentioned your winch not working anymore. Dear god I hope this isn't the mice again.

When was the last time you drove the GT350?

And...how are the cats doing?
Bad battery I think. I just replaced it last night. Winch is working again. I have to hook up my truck to test it.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:26 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
Bad battery I think. I just replaced it last night. Winch is working again. I have to hook up my truck to test it.
Good news. Feared another mouse attack.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:20 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by robmypro
Good news. Feared another mouse attack.
Me too...me too...
Old 05-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Default GT Smokies 2017 Vlog

This was my 3rd Spring Event and 4th trip to the Smokey Mountains in my GT3 with the amazing group of what I now call my friends. It seems every trip get's better and better.

As a self proclaimed introvert and somewhat anti-social dude, the most interesting part about these events is that I don't care nearly as much about the cars or the driving as much as I look forward to breakfast, dinner, and (a first for me) late night gatherings where discussions about business, cars, garages,...life all happen naturally. We come from all over the country with many different backgrounds, but all have a common passion that unites us. It makes it all flow so easily.

There is just enough structure, but we end up with an extremely natural flow from driving to gathering. It's really amazing how it all fits (not selling short all the prep and intentionality) that Sean/Mayur put into this).

Who would have thought it would lead to this:

- 71 GT Cars and a couple of 918s and a 911R
- Booking of an Entire Resort
- Major Sponsors like Michelin, PorscheNA, HRE, Cantrell, Dundon (and not
so major - me @ObsessedGarage Ha, ha...)
- And most importantly, raising over $100,000 for the Cystic Fibrosis
Foundation

To be perfectly honest, I suffer from a condition known a VasoVagal Syncope where my trigger is anything medical or disease related. So I need to keep my distance from the CF side of the event. Despite me being in a complete panic through them telling the story, I believe having a cause like this and listening to the Baker family tell their story will change your life.

I did this year's video of my take on the event a little differently than I have in the past. I normally don't like holding the camera in front of my face. I didn't take photos, I simply carried mirrorless, hand-held Cannon G7XMKII camera around with me and shot a vlog ("video log" for you old timers) of the entire event from prep the days before to arrival back home over the course of 5 days.

I thought sharing would help you understand how amazing this whole experience is. I've made life long friends credited exclusively to a few guys that got together thinking they'd have a few people to spend a weekend in the mountains driving their cars. I'm so thankful they opened it up to Rennlist over 3 years ago and invited us all into their live. Shoot, I bought a truck and trailer just for the two Smokies GT events a year, so I'm committed.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Default Tweak to Audio Upgrade

After the mouse jacked up the wiring, the dealer disconnected my audio system and didn't want to mess with the re-wiring it. Back when finishing the system, I ended up needing to use a ground loop isolator on the input side of the Mosconi. Even with that there is still some faint audible noise that I want to eliminate.

If you hadn't seen the series here are the original 9 parts of me doing the install myself.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...M_CMoB8LgscSHQ

I connected the wires on night and for some reason the ground loop was worse. It possible the RCAs got damaged a bit when the dealer removed them. I decided to just do an aftermarket head unit in the car.

My friends at Sound In Motion in Boston turned me on to the simple fact that many other countries don't have a PCM solution. They get an aftermarket Clarion. So that means Porsche has an OEM trim ring for and aftermarket headunit.

It's $140 at Suncoast, and they had it in stock.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1DD.html

I chose, despite being very unpopular on Instagram and YouTube, to do a Kenwood Excelon DDX-9903S. I didn't want internal navigation especially since then head unit provide Apple Car Play. That way I can use the much better Apple Maps. It has 5.0V pre-out and is worlds better than the 2007 technology in the PCM head unit.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/ddx9903s/

This time I decided to hire someone to rewire and add the head unit. It's not as simple as using a Metra-harness like the old days, so I'm glad I went to Ocala Car Audio get it done.

The final result is much better audio. Like, a ton better. I thought is great before. Even the untuned solution with the headunit has cleaner highs, snappier mid-range, and a crap ton more low end. Most importantly, no noise!
Old 10-21-2017, 04:21 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

This isn't a perfect solution, but I think it looks better than the really loud looking stickers on the visors. Under certain light conditions you can still see the outline of the sticker. It's acceptable to me and I'm picky.

Get some IPA. I went to the store to get closer to 99%, but they didn't have it. So that means, I added a solid hour to my rubbing. Oh well, the job still got done.
An oldy, but goodie guide. Super helpful. Inserting the wire into the headliner was a little tougher than I thought, it's a tight fit ha.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Time to close this thread and start the new one!!
Old 02-08-2019, 06:20 PM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

I've loved watching your videos and thread. I need to look more into the GT3 mods you had done and I'm sure it's covered somewhere but I don't see a stage II tune on the TTFS site.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:35 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks , great reading , I enjoyed your videos and sapphire blue is fantastic.... looking at one
Old 02-14-2019, 09:08 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 72 Posts

Matt
Great thread but it is going to cost me money thought I was over the GT car thing when I got rid of the 2011 GT 3 until I starting reading our thread and my dealer at the same time got a 2018 Sapphire blue GT3 which would match my 2012 aqua blue Spyder perfectly . At almost 77 I need a GT3 like a hole in my head .... but maybe I have that hole besides as my license plate frame says “ Fighter pilots never grow up” and I don’t plan to
remember all you young folks “ growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional”
thanks again Matt for a great thread with some very good videos
Old 12-05-2020, 11:48 AM
JlewGt3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What was your final exhaust? Ans was it valued or no valves Thank you
Old 12-05-2020, 11:53 AM
JlewGt3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Great videos!, I’m curious i What the final exhaust choice was and did you have valved or not if it was, was is as quiet closed as the shark worksthanks
Old 12-18-2020, 02:33 PM
wtforce
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m the current owner of this car and have had it for a little over a year now.

it’s been fantastic so far!
Old 12-07-2022, 06:37 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by wtforce
I’m the current owner of this car and have had it for a little over a year now.

it’s been fantastic so far!
Do you still have it? I'd be interested in buying it back someday if you sell it.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:11 PM
wtforce
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you still have it? I'd be interested in buying it back someday if you sell it.
yeah still got it!

Quick Reply: Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal