Ceramics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:14 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I just like yellow breaks.

Tired of looking at red calipers all the time.
that's a valid reason too. Whatever makes you happy with your car. You can paint red calipers yellow too for steel brakes...lol
Old 10-18-2014, 01:55 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
I don't think it's placebo at all. When I changed to the aftermarket wheels I'm not sure I even knew the heavier specs before hand. The car felt different and I went back and looked at the weight spec. Ditched em, back to stock, back to
+1 definitely not placebo in a car with decent steering feedback. I've noticed huge differences on changing wheelsets in the past.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:56 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by rockitman
that's a valid reason too. Whatever makes you happy with your car. You can paint red calipers yellow too for steel brakes...lol
If you're happy to look like a PCCB wannabe poser Lol - paint them any color but yellow...
Old 10-18-2014, 02:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I'm inclined to believe 99% of that feeling is placebo, as you suggested.
come on, I said it for you so that you didn't have to! :-)

One question that I have never seen asked of those who think 30-40lbs of unsprung rotating mass is unnoticeable except in extreme track scenarios...

How much would be required before you would feel it in spirited street driving... 50lbs? 75lbs? 100 lbs? 1000lbs? Seriously, just curious if there is a perspective on this....
Old 10-18-2014, 03:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Ok, I've tried to stay away from this thread for as long as I could, but I have to throw in my 2 cents. LOL.

The placebo effect is EXTREMELY powerful.

30-40 pounds, even if it is unsprung? Not noticeable in a heavy (+3000lb) car that makes a lot of HP (475+). I would totally buy that you can feel it in a 2000lb, 120hp car. However, the GT3 is a heavy, high HP car. I couldn't notice it in a lighter car (2800lb spyder) with less HP (320hp). No way you'll notice it in a 991 GT3.

Before you guys call BS, Walter Rohl himself has said that he can't feel the weight difference with PCCB. If Walter Rohl can't feel the difference....
Old 10-18-2014, 03:33 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I can feel the difference in weight....in my wallet.

That being said, my current TTS has them and they are amazing. I wouldn't spec them for a car I tracked often.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:13 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ok, I've tried to stay away from this thread for as long as I could, but I have to throw in my 2 cents. LOL.

30-40 pounds, even if it is unsprung? Not noticeable in a heavy (+3000lb) car that makes a lot of HP (475+). I would totally buy that you can feel it in a 2000lb, 120hp car. However, the GT3 is a heavy, high HP car. I couldn't notice it in a lighter car (2800lb spyder) with less HP (320hp). No way you'll notice it in a 991 GT3.

Before you guys call BS, Walter Rohl himself has said that he can't feel the weight difference with PCCB. If Walter Rohl can't feel the difference....
I was wondering where you were :-)

No but seriously, in your opinion, how much unsprung rotating mass reduction would cause a feeling in a 3k car?

I was unfamiliar with that quote by Rohl... Was it a magazine article? Edit : I actually remember something like this back in the 2007 timeframe maybe, with gen 1 pccb

Thanks
Old 10-18-2014, 05:21 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I was wondering where you were :-)

No but seriously, in your opinion, how much unsprung rotating mass reduction would cause a feeling in a 3k car?

I was unfamiliar with that quote by Rohl... Was it a magazine article?

Thanks
I bet if you replaced all the various control arms front and rear from the rubber bushing type to metal ***** like the elephant racing stuff...the advantages of lower unsprung weight may be more noticeable since the suspension won't be as compliant...stiffer. Of course you would also need to be driving the crap out if at the track. A suspension upgrade like that would be a bit rougher on the public roads.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I was wondering where you were :-) No but seriously, in your opinion, how much unsprung rotating mass reduction would cause a feeling in a 3k car? I was unfamiliar with that quote by Rohl... Was it a magazine article? Thanks
Lol. Unless I'm at the track, I'm always lurking around here.

You ask a good question that I cannot definitely answer. I can only put out a guess, which really means nothing. My guess at which the threshold may be for noticing a difference in a car like the gt3 could be 20lb per corner?

As far as Rohl's comment goes, it was not in a magazine article (yet). It was from a conversation that a well known and respected magazine editor had with him.

Originally Posted by rockitman
I bet if you replaced all the various control arms front and rear from the rubber bushing type to metal ***** like the elephant racing stuff...the advantages of lower unsprung weight may be more noticeable since the suspension won't be as compliant...stiffer. Of course you would also need to be driving the crap out if at the track. A suspension upgrade like that would be a bit rougher on the public roads.
You make a great point here. I'll buy into that!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:37 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Actually, if you look at the scientific research it matters more in heavier vehicles. The greater the portion/ratio of sprung weight to unsprung weight the greater the impact is on suspension, acceleration, deceleration and steering.

So the fact you couldn't notice it in the Spyder is actually supported by the scientific research and laws of physics.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Actually, if you look at the scientific research it matters more in heavier vehicles. The greater the portion/ratio of sprung weight to unsprung weight the greater the impact is on suspension, acceleration, deceleration and steering. So the fact you couldn't notice it in the Spyder is actually supported by the scientific research and laws of physics.
I'm not sure I understand. According to what you write:
The greater the ratio of sprung/unsprung, the greater the impact.

Therefore, a 5000 pound car will have a greater improvement in acceleration from a 40 pound unsprung weight loss than a 500 pound car with a 40 pound unsprung weight loss. Intuitively, that doesn't make sense to me. I would like to read more of the details on this. My guess is that there is some variable that is not being mentioned.

Last edited by orthojoe; 10-18-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Lol. Unless I'm at the track, I'm always lurking around here.

You ask a good question that I cannot definitely answer. I can only put out a guess, which really means nothing. My guess at which the threshold may be for noticing a difference in a car like the gt3 could be 20lb per corner?

As far as Rohl's comment goes, it was not in a magazine article (yet). It was from a conversation that a well known and respected magazine editor had with him.

You make a great point here. I'll buy into that!
ok, thanks for your thoughts.

I think you may be referring to the Chris Harris interview with Walter Rohl back in the 2007 timeframe. He actually later came back and made different statements in 2008. But regardless, I don't think he has made any such statement about the current or even last generation of PCCB. I put a lot of stake in what he says, that's why you got my attention for sure with that one!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:07 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

May 2008 GT Porsche magazine

Chris Harris: "What are your thoughts on PCCB"?

WR: "First I thought it was too expensive then I had it first on a 996 GT3 which I used for one year and did 30,000km. Just before I let the car go, I took it for a service and they said the brakes were like new. But then I go very gently with the brakes and since then I always have PCCB. The car rides much better & you can feel the weight not being there".
Old 10-18-2014, 06:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

ok, thanks for your thoughts. I think you may be referring to the Chris Harris interview with Walter Rohl back in the 2007 timeframe. He actually later came back and made different statements in 2008. But regardless, I don't think he has made any such statement about the current or even last generation of PCCB. I put a lot of stake in what he says, that's why you got my attention for sure with that one!
Wasn't Chris Harris. If you're a PCA member, keep an eye out for an upcoming article in panorama.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:24 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Wasn't Chris Harris. If you're a PCA member, keep an eye out for an upcoming article in panorama.
now you tell me after I already spent the $9k! :-) I am a PCA member, I will take a look...

I would have done it for no brake dust and to be different... I have never had them before... many Porsches, always the irons, no problems for sure... we will see if this becomes my only set or if I like them for street spirited driving in the TX hill country!

Quick Reply: Ceramics?