Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

need to post full address or fix the link
Old 10-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,548 Likes on 2,585 Posts

This is why I bought it for the track, and why safety equipment is vitally important, along with adjusting driving to manage risks:
"But here's the rub. It's fast. Very fast. Dare I say too fast. With other cars punching at this level, like the 458 Italia or the McLaren, you can never explore their limits - my driving limits come into play before the car's do and public roads are no place for heroes – but you get a sense of what they can do. You get a glimpse into their performance. They give you a sample and make you say "wow". But I never felt this in the GT3. It's stupendous for sure and it impresses every time you're in it, but for me, it's at such a more purposeful level, I never got to dip into that moment where the car shows you exactly why it's so biblically special. That's what tracks are for, right? We race spec Miatas at CCC and drive things like Ariel atoms on track. Going into turn on New Jersey Motorsports Park's Thunderbolt, we're probably topping out at 113mph in a Miata. In the GT3, I would be doing that closer to 175mph. I'd be doing so in a road car with no cage, navigation and a three-point seatbelt. Bad things would happen.

I then saw this video featuring Andreas Preuninger, king of the GT3 project at Porsche. He likes to drive his early in the morning, before the roads become crowded. Makes sense. Then you see the roads. He lives in the German countryside with close proximity to the Autobahn. That video makes everything come into focus. Mr. Preuninger made this Porsche for him and his roads. This also means that when you drive a GT3, each outing should be an exploration to find the roads that let you explore the cars true capabilities and find the zing. I didn't find them in Tarrytown or Pleasantville, but they exist, and I think, White Rim, Route 550 or Denali Highway might be some of the US-appropriate stretches."
Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
This is why I bought it for the track, and why safety equipment is vitally important, along with adjusting driving to manage risks:
"But here's the rub. It's fast. Very fast. Dare I say too fast. With other cars punching at this level, like the 458 Italia or the McLaren, you can never explore their limits - my driving limits come into play before the car's do and public roads are no place for heroes – but you get a sense of what they can do. You get a glimpse into their performance. They give you a sample and make you say "wow". But I never felt this in the GT3. It's stupendous for sure and it impresses every time you're in it, but for me, it's at such a more purposeful level, I never got to dip into that moment where the car shows you exactly why it's so biblically special. That's what tracks are for, right? We race spec Miatas at CCC and drive things like Ariel atoms on track. Going into turn on New Jersey Motorsports Park's Thunderbolt, we're probably topping out at 113mph in a Miata. In the GT3, I would be doing that closer to 175mph. I'd be doing so in a road car with no cage, navigation and a three-point seatbelt. Bad things would happen.

I then saw this video featuring Andreas Preuninger, king of the GT3 project at Porsche. He likes to drive his early in the morning, before the roads become crowded. Makes sense. Then you see the roads. He lives in the German countryside with close proximity to the Autobahn. That video makes everything come into focus. Mr. Preuninger made this Porsche for him and his roads. This also means that when you drive a GT3, each outing should be an exploration to find the roads that let you explore the cars true capabilities and find the zing. I didn't find them in Tarrytown or Pleasantville, but they exist, and I think, White Rim, Route 550 or Denali Highway might be some of the US-appropriate stretches."
manifold , geez what a captivating post , so well written
Old 10-09-2014, 09:44 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

... And from a guy who owned the last gen. GT3 and put over 7K miles on it around the country.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

That is a well written review. Thank you for posting it 997xpress.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I got to get home from business travel and take her out. My poor Wife. I almost run thru her to get to my car

She is happy though, She tells every one I have a new girlfriend. I guess for her a better piece of mind it is a car

Quick Reply: 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 - Classic Car Club Review