Sponsored by:

'15 GT3 allocation available - Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol
I wasn't complaining about the bit over msrp, even though I don't like it. The issue is that the dealer sat on my order preventing me from getting PTS even though it was available. Their goal was to book the revenue in december insted of january and that would not be possible with PTS cars. I can't even imagine how tiny an amount the extra interest would be for the 2 month delay in their ability to book the sale.
They wouldn't care about the interest. They may be trying to hit an internal sales goal or are trying to hit a certain market share percentage by year end. Could also affect future allocations by booking more sales this year. iMO.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:21 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm fairly confident dealers can charge over MSRP without being in violation of their franchise agreement. These agreements are fairly consistent across brands, and I doubt Porsche is any different in this respect.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WernerE
I'm fairly confident dealers can charge over MSRP without being in violation of their franchise agreement. These agreements are fairly consistent across brands, and I doubt Porsche is any different in this respect.
Exactly.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:29 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

I think it's fairly obvious that the dealers can charge over MSRP? WHY? BECAUSE THEY DO ALL THE TIME.....how can one argue THAT simple fact???
Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
It's called market value. Dealers that have markets that support over MSRP, like BHP, will charge over MSRP. Other dealers will charge MSRP. If the cars sit and don't sell you will be able to buy them for less than MSRP. If they sit long enough, they will lose money to sell them.

"Dealers are free to set their own prices and prices may vary"

The fact that you and your buddy refuse to believe what is posted right on the Porsche website is laughable.

Stop wasting my time if you can not produce a document that says Porsche dealers in the US are not free to set their own prices or you can give me the name of ONE dealer who lost his franchise for charging over MSRP.
And that is why every dealer in the same market will charge differently.

Again, you cannot disproof it on your end and hinge your argument on whats posted - which I interpret as dealer charging less. Even Saturn had that on their website and we all know that was an attempt to charge MSRP. And what about the VP of Fiat coming out openly admonishing dealers for charging over MSRP for the Hellcat and the consequences those dealers could face. They also have your often quoted statement on their website.

Why don't you go to your trusted dealer and ask him to violate confidence and show you the agreement; afterall you are asking people on here that don't agree with you to violate confidence and produce it.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ExMB
And that is why every dealer in the same market will charge differently.

Again, you cannot disproof it on your end and hinge your argument on whats posted - which I interpret as dealer charging less. Even Saturn had that on their website and we all know that was an attempt to charge MSRP. And what about the VP of Fiat coming out openly admonishing dealers for charging over MSRP for the Hellcat and the consequences those dealers could face. They also have your often quoted statement on their website.

Why don't you go to your trusted dealer and ask him to violate confidence and show you the agreement; afterall you are asking people on here that don't agree with you to violate confidence and produce it.
Seriously? You say there is a tooth fairy, I say no there isn't , then I have prove it doesn't exist?

Did you even read what the head of Dodge said? The first thing he said is that dealers could price there cars any way they wanted. IF, they did not sell them as quickly as dealers that did not mark them up then they would not earn additional allocations as quickly as the dealers that were selling cars. This is nothing new. Import dealers have been doing this since the 70's. The more you sell you earn. If a dodge dealer that does mark his cars up and sells them quickly he will earn more. Period. Not sure why you are so excited about this.

Saturn's MARKETING plan was one price and they advertised it accordingly. We all know how that worked out for them. Please show me Porsche's advertising that says they are one price or dealer sets price "but can not exceed MSRP".

Try actually reading what you are using as a base for your argument before posting it as evidence. Either provide ONE piece of evidence that backs your claim or admit that you are mistaken and move on.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:56 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Seriously? You say there is a tooth fairy, I say no there isn't , then I have prove it doesn't exist?

Saturn's MARKETING plan was one price and they advertised it accordingly. We all know how that worked out for them. Please show me Porsche's advertising that says they are one price or dealer sets price "but can not exceed MSRP".

Try actually reading what you are using as a base for your argument before posting it as evidence. Either provide ONE piece of evidence that backs your claim or admit that you are mistaken and move on.
Yup, you fell for it and researched it. Now, since you admitted to the Saturn plan its up to you to prove it doesn't or admit the possibility and move on.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ExMB
Yup, you fell for it and researched it. Now, since you admitted to the Saturn plan its up to you to prove it doesn't or admit the possibility and move on.
I have to admit that you have a great imagination. Now you believe that Saturn = Porsche.

Also, when you see this posted on the Porsche website: Actual selling prices are set by dealers and may vary
You see: Actual selling price set by dealers as long as they don't exceed MSRP.

It is nice to have an imagination. If I try hard I think that it says if I buy one Porsche at MSRP I get one for free! Wow, this is fun!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

I have to admit that you have a great imagination. Now you believe that Saturn = Porsche.

Also, when you see this posted on the Porsche website: Actual selling prices are set by dealers and may vary
You see: Actual selling price set by dealers as long as they don't exceed MSRP.

It is nice to have an imagination. If I try hard I think that it says if I buy one Porsche at MSRP I get one for free! Wow, this is fun!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know why I feel the need to continue to chime in on this thread. I know I'm asking for trouble but I can't help myself. Maybe it's the fact that someone would actually suggest that I'm lying when I say I'm aware of the particulars having been a paid consultant to PCNA. I don't know. But I will state again. Auto manufacturers have franchise and license agreements. Porsche is no different. They prohibit price gouging. This includes charging over MSRP. Is it enforced? Obviously not all the time. Other ways around it? "Market adjustments" etc.? Obviously. Does Porsche frown on dealers charging more than MSRP? They absolutely do.

Once again, try to play the argument out. Where is the line drawn? Why don't they just charge over MSRP for all their cars? Because people will just go to the next dealer? What if they're in a remote area? Why can't the dealer charge over MSRP for every car on their lot? Why can't they decide to change the Porsche brand without permission? The arrangement is not a reseller arrangement with no stipulations. There are very many stipulations that the dealers have to follow to be able to be authorized to carry Porsche product.

Here's a good test to make me eat my words. And believe me, I've had to eat them before in my long life and probably will again sooner or later. Send an email to PCNA customer service in Atlanta and let them know that a dealer is trying to charge you over MSRP for an inventory car. See what the reaction is.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:21 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RUF RS
I think it's fairly obvious that the dealers can charge over MSRP? WHY? BECAUSE THEY DO ALL THE TIME.....how can one argue THAT simple fact???
Selective reading on your part: The key point is that dealers can do so without violating their franchise agreement.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:27 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I don't know why I feel the need to continue to chime in on this thread. I know I'm asking for trouble but I can't help myself. Maybe it's the fact that someone would actually suggest that I'm lying when I say I'm aware of the particulars having been a paid consultant to PCNA. I don't know. But I will state again. Auto manufacturers have franchise and license agreements. Porsche is no different. They prohibit price gouging. This includes charging over MSRP. Is it enforced? Obviously not all the time. Other ways around it? "Market adjustments" etc.? Obviously. Does Porsche frown on dealers charging more than MSRP? They absolutely do.

Once again, try to play the argument out. Where is the line drawn? Why don't they just charge over MSRP for all their cars? Because people will just go to the next dealer? What if they're in a remote area? Why can't the dealer charge over MSRP for every car on their lot? Why can't they decide to change the Porsche brand without permission? The arrangement is not a reseller arrangement with no stipulations. There are very many stipulations that the dealers have to follow to be able to be authorized to carry Porsche product.

Here's a good test to make me eat my words. And believe me, I've had to eat them before in my long life and probably will again sooner or later. Send an email to PCNA customer service in Atlanta and let them know that a dealer is trying to charge you over MSRP for an inventory car. See what the reaction is.
Are you saying you've read Porsche's franchise agreement that contains language that specifically forbids selling over MSRP?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Are you saying you've read Porsche's franchise agreement that contains language that specifically forbids selling over MSRP?
No. But I am saying that I have discussed this exact topic with senior executives at PCNA during my consulting work for the company. And it was made very clear that it is part of the franchise agreement. No ambiguity. I have not paged through the agreement and read it myself. But unless those senior executives were lying to me, I consider their word good on this topic. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, someone can decide to believe me or think that this is some elaborate scam to comment on a topic that has no bearing on me personally.

Once again, take my simple test and reach out to PCNA in Atlanta to complain about a dealer charging over MSRP. Don't take my word for it, ask them.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:49 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure it's really important what the agreement says since dealers do it openly and regularly in some markets anyway. During a year's period I was contemplating a GT3, every dealer where I became aware of a car in inventory in Southern California --wanted to charge over MSRP. The order allocation openings that I found, on the other hand, were at MSRP. I find it hard to believe that PCNA does not know this is going on in one of their larger markets. Maybe they just are looking the other way, or allowing for little title tricks or "custom' vehicle prep charges. In any event, the impact on the consumer is the same.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LAGinz
Not sure it's really important what the agreement says since dealers do it openly and regularly in some markets anyway. During a year's period during which I was contemplating a GT3, every dealer where I became aware of a car in inventory in Southern California --wanted to charge over MSRP. The order allocation openings that I found, on the other hand, were at MSRP. I find it hard to believe that PCNA does not know this is going on in one of their larger markets. Maybe they just are looking the other way, or allowing for little title tricks or allowances for "custom' vehicle prep charges. In any event, the impact on the consumer is the same.
Were the openings you found in Southern California? Did you ever contact Porsche about it, or just assumed it was typical business?

I never said dealers don't try and in some cases get away with doing this. And I mentioned in my first post I am not sure about enforcement. But I do know of examples I witnessed whereby customers came to Porsche to complain and msrp was honored.

Quick Reply: '15 GT3 allocation available - Los Angeles