Sponsored by:

Do I need the chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:01 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
^ Perfect Marcus! if that doesn't improve one's track performance nothing will!

Just some light hearted humor amigos!

Ya Haku

Since I'm still just a lowly 991 C2S guy I don't have a dog in the GT3 fight or discussion just yet I try to add some humor where I can.

I love the wart in my car. Some like blondes, some like brunettes. Irish Guitar, that goes for girls too! If that last $1,600 or $1,800 matters, don't get it. If you love it and are spending what most people spend on their houses on this amazing machine and will second guess yourself every time you get in your car when it arrives like an OCD sufferer like I am just get it and don't look back.

Sorry for the run on sentence.

Carry on!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:57 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Ya Haku

Since I'm still just a lowly 991 C2S guy I don't have a dog in the GT3 fight or discussion just yet I try to add some humor where I can.

I love the wart in my car. Some like blondes, some like brunettes. Irish Guitar, that goes for girls too! If that last $1,600 or $1,800 matters, don't get it. If you love it and are spending what most people spend on their houses on this amazing machine and will second guess yourself every time you get in your car when it arrives like an OCD sufferer like I am just get it and don't look back.

Sorry for the run on sentence.

Carry on!
Marcus,

you're not the first person to make an incorrect assumption on my gender based upon my name. Even in Ireland it's an uncommon name for a man.

Nothing wrong with a 'lowly C2S', by the way; my 'lowly 997.1 S' is still my faithful daily driver and faithfully provides miles of smiles.

Now back on topic.

Vivian.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:09 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

holy crap.

Sorry bro. I was attempting to be PC since we all know Suzy could be around checking it out.

I didn't know, but I know now. Vivan can be a man's name. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2014, 05:25 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to enjoy the track ghost feature...it wil give you immediate feedback that you are slower in part(s) or faster compared to your reference lap...Just like grand turismo.

Edit: imagine every lap you are faster, the new ref lap is set and you are in affect racing yourself to improve lap times...on the PCM out of the corner of your eye. If it does ghost like GT4 simulator...what better to make you faster other than sniffing the fumes of a car faster than you ahead of you ?

Last edited by rockitman; 10-09-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Haku - If you did not get the SC you saved yourself money and you will be fine. If you had the chance and ordered it then you are also fine. You can not look back on anything you have done. Believe me - when you drive this beast the only thing that matters is the engine and transmission - all the rest is just ornamental
Old 10-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Haku - If you did not get the SC you saved yourself money and you will be fine. If you had the chance and ordered it then you are also fine. You can not look back on anything you have done. Believe me - when you drive this beast the only thing that matters is the engine and transmission - all the rest is just ornamental
As always, the voice of reason JD. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a similar state of flux. Have the order submitted through Porsche but have time to change details.

Dealer saying they order it on 'all' the cars. I have the chrono in my 997.2 C4S but never use it. On the track I use Harry's lap timer and find it great.

I see this as a way to get some of the other car details (throttle, brake, RPM) that I can't easily get now. That could of course be fixed with a dongle set up for a few hundred bucks.

The shadow racing thing is cool but honestly when I'm on the track, the last thing I want to be focusing on is a display screen showing me I could go faster. I worry it's a distraction.

As technology develops over the life of the car, I imagine that apps like HLP will become even more robust and I don't want to be stuck with a really awesome 'tape deck' when the world has moved on to MP3.

I'm also somewhat concerned that the data recorded by the unit could come back and hurt you in some way (from insurance to Porsche warranty) by providing more 'data excuses' why it's your fault (ie running time, temps, g forces, intervals, etc)

Is there something I'm missing here in terms of value-added with the SC?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
I'm also somewhat concerned that the data recorded by the unit could come back and hurt you in some way (from insurance to Porsche warranty) by providing more 'data excuses' why it's your fault (ie running time, temps, g forces, intervals, etc)
Don't kid yourself. That stuff is being recorded regardless of whether or not sport chrono is optioned or not.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:20 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Don't kid yourself. That stuff is being recorded regardless of whether or not sport chrono is optioned or not.
Ed Zachary...the info critical for accident investigation is recorded whether we like it or not. Cuts both ways I suppose.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:53 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Well said. I thought the lack of porsche entry and Drive was going to bother me since I had it on my c2s. Comical concern. Nothing matters... The little details are meaningless.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to this thread, I just canceled the SC on my order.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:49 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

^ Smart move!
Old 10-11-2014, 11:35 PM
datapath
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default unbundling the track precision app option from the chrono

Hi all. Like some of you, I keep going back and forth on this.

I am not sure I like the look of the chrono. When am I going to consult the big yellow seconds hand? Not during DD, and probably not during track events either. I don't want to be ruled by a stopwatch. I am afraid it may be a nuisance distraction, actually. But on the other hand ... the dash does look a little empty there without it.

On the other hand, the track precision app sounds interesting, and with unknown future potential. I'd hate to miss out on some useful functionality yet to come. I considered ordering the chrono package just for that.

I see now that the track precision app can be purchased separately through Tequipment, p/n "991 044 901 10" for ~$1500, excluding "installation".

Now, like me, you may be wondering why the app costs $1500. Two theories:
1. to amortize the cost of the software development
2. because the app requires the installation of significant additional hardware

It may be both, of course. But it does appear there is additional hardware involved:

From the UK Tequipment site:
http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessorie...kprecisionapp/
"This app enables your driving stats to be displayed in detail, logged and analysed on your smartphone *** (data acquired by a special control unit fitted in your car) ***."

From the US precision app FAQ:
http://files2.porsche.com/filestore....e-001a64c55f5c
"3. Look for the *** WLAN generated by the vehicle *** in your smartphone's WLAN settings. (Sample WLAN name: “My_Porsche_XXXXXX”)."

This WLAN connection is also detailed in the Track Precision iOS app Help screens.

and also:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...hrono-package/
"The lap trigger available through Porsche Tequipment allows even more precise measurement of the lap times."

The trigger appears to be light based. Again from the iOS app Help screen:
"... when you drive across the start/finish line ... automatically upon driving through the light barrier of the lap trigger..."

So I conclude that the sport precision app option includes a hardware component, which acts as a WLAN (WiFi) access point and service to the app, and also includes an optical lap trigger sensor/receiver, which, triggers as you drive by.

(Perhaps the lap trigger sensor is in the chrono itself?)

Further intrigue lies within this line from the Tequipment data:
"1) Further costs may be incurred for installation, assembly and painting. Contact your Porsche partner for further information."

Painting?! Well, that would make sense if the trigger receiver needs to be installed on the exterior of the car.

It's too bad Porsche does not describe exactly what the track precision app installation actually entails. Does it require taking apart the dash, or installing something on the exterior of the vehicle? In that case, it might be better and cheaper to have it all installed at the factory.

Oh well. I guess I'm still not sure whether to include this option in my build, or not.

Some other thoughts:

I will hazard a guess as to why Porsche did not provide unbundled configuration options
* Sport Chrono $500
* Track Precision App, $1400
(or so) -- e.g. a calculation by Porsche product planners that by bundling them together, desire for the chrono will drive sales of the otherwise unknown app and its hardware, and therefore grow the installed base of app users quickly -- although not as quickly as just bundling it with the car up front.

I would not be surprised to see the track precision app as an option for all 98x/991/918 in the future. The car photo in the app is not a GT3 but a Cup car.

If an app-enabled car is indeed providing a WiFi access point, I hope the Porsche embedded software engineers have done their computer security homework. Also, can you turn the WiFi off? I don't want to drive everywhere broadcasting an AP.

Does anyone have a 2015 GT3 with this feature and if so can they please describe how it works? Or summarize the "Lap trigger" section in the Driver's Manual?
Old 10-11-2014, 11:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Nice post. I'm sticking with the SC option right now, but have serious doubts about the utility of the app when compared to my solo DL. Nobody has a 2015 to report on this, but it shouldn't be much longer. The app is available for download right now on iTunes, and I took a look at it. It does look like the gt3 is a wifi access point:
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Would love to see some walkthroughs of the app as soon as someone has it on a 2015 near a track. Or even just to see if there is a new performance screen in the PCM always viewable.

Quick Reply: Do I need the chrono?