Sponsored by:

Do I need the chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:13 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Since Limerock my closest track 2.5 hrs away and my other Watkins Glen 3.5 hrs away are supported tracks on the app, it's worth it for me. Aim is always an option down the road if I feel it necessary. My order is locked anyway...no going back. The clock wart does not affect how I mount my Valentine 1 radar detector.

Ps: even has Monticello Motor Club if I get the urge to join @ $60k large. That club is only 2.5 hours away too.
Monticello keeps asking me to do a taste of the track day. Told them I am waiting for the GT3, which means spring. Tough for me to justify the money, but it is a nice track. We should bring the Rhodiium GT3's for a day!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rookie1
Sounds like insider knowledge... ;-) What company is developing the app?
My money is on HLT. Too many similarities. I just downloaded the app to check it out. I'm not so sure about trying out this option anymore. Wireless connections ALWAYS drop out. It's why I refuse to use HLT. Any word on what kind of data and in what format can be exported straight off the car?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like insider knowledge... ;-)
What company is developing the app?
My "mission impossible" computer with the company secrets just melted and caught fire after a countdown from 5 ha ha
Old 10-08-2014, 09:34 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Monticello keeps asking me to do a taste of the track day. Told them I am waiting for the GT3, which means spring. Tough for me to justify the money, but it is a nice track. We should bring the Rhodiium GT3's for a day!
You ordered Rhodium ? That would be awesome getting a track day and tour of the club. It is a big initiation nut though...not sure I can justify it either...if I lived close by, I would be a member.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:00 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

You ordered Rhodium ? That would be awesome getting a track day and tour of the club. It is a big initiation nut though...not sure I can justify it either...if I lived close by, I would be a member.
Most, if not all, of their members live in NYC. Some in Boston. I have my cars and a house 20mins from Limerock and still don't find the club membership there attractive. I prefer to go to DE's with PCA, BMWCCA, SCDA, or other clubs. Could still do only Limerock with them or change things up at will. Plus more $$ left for the racing budget (Skip Barber, rentals, etc.). Keeps things interesting.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:25 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
Most, if not all, of their members live in NYC. Some in Boston. I have my cars and a house 20mins from Limerock and still don't find the club membership there attractive. I prefer to go to DE's with PCA, BMWCCA, SCDA, or other clubs. Could still do only Limerock with them or change things up at will. Plus more $$ left for the racing budget (Skip Barber, rentals, etc.). Keeps things interesting.
I was not aware limerock has a membership club. Time too Google for that info.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Sounds to me like they're off their rockers!

http://www.monticellomotorclub.com/membership/

SILVER
Initiation Fee: $75,000
Annual Dues: $4,600
Lifetime Membership
15 Driving Days Allowed Per Season
8 Weekend Days Allowed Per Season
Unlimited Family Access (Non-Driver)
5 Non-Driver Guest Passes Included
5 Qualified-Driver Guest Passes ($500/per)
Transferable and resalable membership
5% Events Discount
CONTACT US
GOLD
Initiation Fee: $125,000
Annual Dues: $11,900
Lifetime Membership
Unlimited Driving Days Allowed Per Season
Unlimited Weekend Days Allowed Per Season
Unlimited Family Access (Non-Driver)
Unlimited Non-Driver Guest Passes
6 Qualified-Driver Guest Passes Included (Addtnl passes at $250/per)
Transferable and resalable membership
10% Events Discount
1st Priority for Track amenities and events
CONTACT US
BRONZE
Initiation Fee: $40,000
Annual Dues: $3,800
10 Year Membership
12 Driving Days Allowed Per Season
6 Weekend Days Allowed Per Season
#
#
#
#
Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Limerock membership is more affordable and gives you more track days than Monticello.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:33 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I was not aware limerock has a membership club. Time too Google for that info.
Oh sure they do. They are eager for new members too. Bargain hard.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the original thread goes. Get the stopwatch. Dash looks rather empty without it have done it in red looks not so good but all my P cars have had it and it's great for timing the long distance drives. However if you turn the ignition off it stops also. So washroom/ gas breaks don't time unless you leave it running. As far as the track ops go. So many better options But I have always ordered it as there seems to be a hole in the dash when it's not there. Even got it in my panamera.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like there is no Android version
Old 10-08-2014, 11:18 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Looks like there is no Android version
In their FAQ they say the app supports Android as well:
"Which smartphones are compatible with
the Porsche Track Precision app?
The app is available for the iOS* and
Android™** operating systems.
a) iOS: iOS7 or later and iPhone 5 or later,
resolution: 1136*×*640.
b) Android: Android 4.0 or later.
Minimum requirement: Dual core,
1*GB*RAM, min. resolution 1280*x*720."

Source:
http://files2.porsche.com/filestore....e-001a64c55f5c

I suspect it's just not ready yet and will come (hopefully) soon.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

In their FAQ they say the app supports Android as well:
"Which smartphones are compatible with
the Porsche Track Precision app?
The app is available for the iOS* and
Android™** operating systems.
a) iOS: iOS7 or later and iPhone 5 or later,
resolution: 1136*×*640.
b) Android: Android 4.0 or later.
Minimum requirement: Dual core,
1*GB*RAM, min. resolution 1280*x*720."

Source:
http://files2.porsche.com/filestore....e-001a64c55f5c

I suspect it's just not ready yet and will come (hopefully) soon.

Yeah I thought I had seen that but I couldn't find it in the Google Play Store or a Google search. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:50 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
My money is on HLT. Too many similarities. I just downloaded the app to check it out. I'm not so sure about trying out this option anymore. Wireless connections ALWAYS drop out. It's why I refuse to use HLT. Any word on what kind of data and in what format can be exported straight off the car?
My $.02 based on track experience- HLT, even with Bluetooth satellite enhanced receiver just doesn't have the resolution of dedicated hardware. This shows up most when you try to dissect lap times down to individual cornering speeds- the resolution is just not good enough to use with a good degree of certainty or repeatability. I'm not saying it's inaccurate, because lap times are usually extremely accurate, just the resolution makes breaking lap information down problematic. AIM Solo and others like it use something like a 10X time the resolution so there is never any issue zooming in on a turn and dissecting your entry, apex and exit speed lap after lap, session after session. I don't know how good the Precision Track App is- if it has hardware separate from the phone for GPS reception and just uses the smart phone for presenting the data, it may be equivalent to AIM Solo, etc, but since the data is limited to an APP environment, it can only be so useful as a training tool.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

montoya. 100%! You are on to it.

IMO this new track app from Porsche is just "silver foil for magpies". Any of the long time hard core track junkie set on here will tell you HLT and any battery operated WiFi/BT connection inside the car is compromised. Resolution (via the GPS chipset), reliability (flat batteries or unstable wifi connections), convince (multiple devices need to be switched on an active and lack of homogeneity (ability to email a simply small 30kb file to another user of the same system for analysis and overlay) all add up to "NO GO" for the track initiated.

I use VBox + GoPro (both hardwired), but Im about to move to AIM Solo DL, Canbus with Smartycam HD so Im trying to be unbiased here.

If you are a track day regular you want a system that turns on and off the moment your car moves forward, produces the least effort in car overlay footage and gives you a file you can load up into something like circuit tools for ultimate evaluation and comparison with others to actually learn and benefit from your telemetry.

Here is a run as an example comparing multiple laps from different drivers for example.

Most of us who have been to the track know how important it is to have a no fussy, 100% reliable dedicated system. Apps like HLT are great for the money but give you limited after session analysis and tools to dissect. With the need to put on a helmet, harness, neck restraint one doesnt need the additional hassle of mounting their iPhone, turning it on, finding a connection initiating an app then plugging the phone in so its battery stays charged. If the App required the iPhone for GPS or video then the overall result is compromised for non fit for purpose design and execution (i.e. resolution, FOV, durability, GPS sample rate).

If you are serious about the track buy a dedicated and proven system. If you want a "gadget" then Porsche provide this $1850 wart for you.

All IMHO of course!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Do I need the chrono?