Sponsored by:

GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:40 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The vast majority? MUCH closer to the GTS than previous generations of the GT3? Really? I'll join the hyperbolic fun and say that's WAY over the top.

Never mind that PDK-S has impressed virtually everyone who's actually driven with it as opposed to speculated about it. I'd just like to understand why anyone would drive their 991 PDK in automatic 90% of the time, when it's the least involving and least fun way to use the gearbox.
The 991 GT3 isn't even a GT3 in any way other than the chassis, a couple suspension components, and name. The 991 GT3 would be more honestly referred to as the 991 GTS-R.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:45 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
destaccado wrote:

The factory "plastic" wing on the 997.2 GT3 is $14,000 if you want to buy one. Its VERY functional and adjustable, just like the RS. Its Fiberglass which is just like Carbon Fiber, just a different color. Personally I like the NON GT3 wing better its not so showy as the RS and really for street and light track work, you dont need the extra down force of the RS wing.

As far as the "manual Transmission " goes. Most GT3 drivers are of the opinion that most modern race cars now use some sort of sequential transmission or something like the PDK. The PDK came off the LeMans winner from 1984. No reason for the GT3 not to use whats in modern racers. This is my second PDK and I think its a blast.

This GTS is just like the 50th anniversary edition only not limited-X51
Of course it's 14,000. Let me know when people are routinely purchasing them because of it's great functionality and adjustability. Porsche clearly hedged their profits on that part via sales due to insurance claims. If you're willing to pay $14,000 for that wing I've got some other fantastic deals to sell you!

"Most GT3 drivers are of the opinion that most modern race cars now use some sort of sequential transmission or something like the PDK."

- Bull****. Most 991 GT3 drivers maybe. Most GT3 drivers drove the price of the manual Mezger cars up to the stratosphere as soon as the 991 was announced.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Desperado, you think you could just quietly go away? No, I didn't think so...okay guys have at him.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:56 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
At the end of the day the 991 GT3 is MUCH closer to the 991 GTS than it is to the previous generations of GT3.
If you haven't read Elephant Racing's article on GT3 suspension Vs C2S, that alone is quite a departure from the standard models which a GTS seems to be. Then I would say you are very much mistaken.

Edit: links.

http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-b...n-overview.htm

http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-b...Comparison.htm

"In conclusion, the cup car is a true example of a great race car, and although our beloved GT3 is missing some features, it is very close to the track-only cousin. The GT3 features a near-perfect mixture of street comfort and pure performance; borrowing components from the regular Carrera and the Cup racecar to make an impressive and versatile supercar. This comparison makes it clear that the GT3s suspension pendulum is swinging a lot more towards the Cup Car side than the regular Carrera side."
Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

The 991 GT3 isn't even a GT3 in any way other than the chassis, a couple suspension components, and name. The 991 GT3 would be more honestly referred to as the 991 GTS-R.
Again, with all due respect. You have no conceivable clue what you are talking about.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:04 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Again, with all due respect. You have no conceivable clue what you are talking about.
Actually I do. Now please show me what parts on the actual GT3 car Porsche races it shares in common with the street car besides what I already listed. Does the Cup use the same steering? The same transmission? The same motor? How about that $14,000 fiberglass wing? Well surely the suspension is the same? Oh...the answer to all those is no? Well I'll be damned.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:08 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Actually I do. Now please show me what parts on the actual GT3 car Porsche races it shares in common with the street car besides what I already listed.
Kindly find links edited in previous post.

Makes a great bed time story
Old 10-08-2014, 04:10 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Kindly find links edited in previous post.

Makes a great bed time story
I read your link the day they put it out on the forums. You even quoted me saying - "The 991 GT3 isn't even a GT3 in any way other than the chassis, a couple suspension components, and name. The 991 GT3 would be more honestly referred to as the 991 GTS-R."

Perhaps you should come up with a better way to dispute my statement than a link that demonstrates what I said.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:51 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

I read your link the day they put it out on the forums. You even quoted me saying - "The 991 GT3 isn't even a GT3 in any way other than the chassis, a couple suspension components, and name. The 991 GT3 would be more honestly referred to as the 991 GTS-R." Perhaps you should come up with a better way to dispute my statement than a link that demonstrates what I said.
Perhaps you would like to provide some factual evidence, contrary to what I have done, to support you claims before you go on a tangent rant!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:10 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

I have a 997.2 GT3 and am waiting for my 2015. Only time will tell if the 991 is a true "3". It does seem on this version the suspension is much more like a Cup than previous GT3's while part of the power train is more like the cup (PDK-S). The motor is still my main concern. I have asked Porsche motorsport the direct question about why the 9a1 hasn't been raced and have gotten mixed answers. It seems as if they are waiting for the ACO to create the new regs before going full bore with this or a flat-8. Howver it is a highly suspect to me that in the 991 Cup, a car designed for the 9a1, they specifically fitted the Mezger when it was never even meant for that chassis. Something is definitely fishy and I wish they would've just come out and made a statement about it earlier.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Perhaps you would like to provide some factual evidence, contrary to what I have done, to support you claims before you go on a tangent rant!
You haven't done anything but reinforce the claim I made -- "The 991 GT3 isn't even a GT3 in any way other than the chassis, a couple suspension components, and name. The 991 GT3 would be more honestly referred to as the 991 GTS-R."

Thanks for demonstrating via your link that a few of the suspension components of the GT3 are shared with the GT3 CUP -- I already stated that prior to your original post.

If reading comprehension is an issue I suggest you go back and read the thread again.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Trench
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTS Configurator available on UK website. Here's the link.
http://www.porsche.com/uk/modelstart...modelrange=911
Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 434 Posts

Except that historical buyers of the GT3 aren't necessarily the same buyers of the 991 GT3 anymore. I would bet the vast majority of 991 GT3 buyers are closer to the 911 GTS buyers than 997.2 GT3 buyers.
^ This (certainly not 'most' but I'd say quite a few have made the change from a C2S to a GT3 with the new chassis), and hence why the new GTS will be a great seller for the crowd who were stuck in the 'Is the GT3 too harsh for DD?', 'Should I do it? I'm not quite sure' dilemma who were considering a GT3 for the first time with the offering of the PDK-S.

With the introduction of the PDK gearbox on the GT3, the line has become a lot more transparent between the 'hardcore GT3' crowd and the people who only want the badge on the rear.

Also the limited production of the GT3 will make this new crowd buy the GTS without hesitation.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

As I noted in another thread, I talked with a respected pro racer who owns a 991 GT3 and has tracked it, along with racing the various cup cars over the years, including racing the the 991 cup for a year. He also has a company that does various mods to these cars, and he personally is intimately familiar with components of these cars. I'm told that when he first got his 991 GT3, first thing he did was disassemble much of the car so that he could see what it was really made of.

His conclusion from examining the car and driving it on track is that the 991 GT3 is basically a race car, and has very little meaningfully in common with any other 991. He also said that this engine is slated to be used in the race cars.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:52 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

There's an old saying. When someone chooses not to speak others may think him wise or a fool. Once he does speak the question is answered.

Quick Reply: GTS