991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Out of curiosity, I just went into the configurator for the Carrera S to see what it would cost to get it as close as possible to a base GT3. Came to about $131K, basically the same as the GT3. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFTUBY42

But that leaves you well short of the GT3 in terms of engine, transmission, suspension, aero, etc.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Okay- The Gt3 is a bargain and no one can argue that but Porsche is brilliant. - This car has back seats and you can get it as a convertible. Has a "GT"(S) badge and is a modest upgrade over the Carrera-S.
Now - for me, and the hardcore Porsche fanatic - no interest and I get it. But for the common person they will eat this up. The GT3 is for a selective group and we are very few compared to the masses. That is a good thing and never want that to change.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:33 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why the GTS can be better than the GT3:

1. Rear seats
2. Option of topless
3. Option of 4 wheel drive
4. Parking sensors
5. Lower buying price (but poorer value and higher depreciation)
6. Better sound at lower rpm for showing off in town? (Engine overrun when you lift off, you dont get that in GT3)
7. Option of Burnmaster audio

Anything else to add?
Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 AM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

991 GT3 engine is almost entirely different from 9A1 engine in 991 Carreras, including the specials, with a few common components shared in both (bolts in cylinder heads, chain for the valvetrain, and raw crankcase casting: Panorama, May 2013/41).
Old 10-08-2014, 12:39 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by huracan

1. Rear seats
2. Option of topless
4. Parking sensors
6. Better sound at lower rpm for showing off in town? (Engine overrun when you lift off, you dont get that in GT3)

Anything else to add?
Lower insurance premiums
Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Why the GTS can be better than the GT3: 1. Rear seats 2. Option of topless 3. Option of 4 wheel drive 4. Parking sensors 5. Lower buying price (but poorer value and higher depreciation) 6. Better sound at lower rpm for showing off in town? (Engine overrun when you lift off, you dont get that in GT3) 7. Option of Burnmaster audio Anything else to add?
8). Manual tranny
9). Centerlocks optional
Old 10-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeGT3
991 GT3 engine is almost entirely different from 9A1 engine in 991 Carreras, including the specials, with a few common components shared in both (bolts in cylinder heads, chain for the valvetrain, and raw crankcase casting: Panorama, May 2013/41).
Also the PDK-S is very different from the PDK normal. PDK-S isn't just some software change.

The electric steering on the other hand is another story.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WernerE
Lower insurance premiums
I don't think so! I suspect GT3 may actually have comparable premiums.

Its about historical claims! I can't help myself, but GT3 owners are prob on average better drivers than GTS owner.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

1. Rear seats
2. Option of topless
4. Parking sensors

Anything else to add?
I thought we were comparing base prices and their relative value. So you can get a Cab, or AWD, or Burmester stereo for a base of $114K...

AWD has a $7K+ premium; a Cab is +$12K; Burmester is +$5K. Hmm...let's add some "free" optional sport buckets to the GT3 side of the equation and.....
Old 10-08-2014, 12:58 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

The GTS will probably have 6-8% discounts right off the bat meaning the delta is close to 25k than 15.

- Better looking back-end without cheap boy-racer spoiler. Every GT3 should have had a carbon spoiler like the RS.

- Better looking front-end without large overhang.

- Rear seats

- No rear wheel steering which some people don't want.

- Manual transmission

- No centerlocks. I'll take cast 5-lugs over forged centerlocks for a street car every day of the week.

The only thing I'd want from the GT3 is the motor and suspension and for 25k I would say they'd be worth it. Unfortunately that's not an option so pick your poison.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:13 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The GTS will probably have 6-8% discounts right off the bat meaning the delta is close to 25k than 15. - Better looking back-end without cheap boy-racer spoiler. Every GT3 should have had a carbon spoiler like the RS. - Better looking front-end without large overhang. - Rear seats - No rear wheel steering which some people don't want. - Manual transmission - No centerlocks. I'll take cast 5-lugs over forged centerlocks for a street car every day of the week. The only thing I'd want from the GT3 is the motor and suspension and for 25k I would say they'd be worth it. Unfortunately that's not an option so pick your poison.
6-8% on a newly released model?....maybe
Better looking back end?......debatable.
GT3rear spoiler -cheap?....go try to order one.
Rear seats....yes for 10 and under
Manual transmission....I'll take the PDK-S over the current 7 speed.
No center locks...well that is good in my book, but I wouldn't pass up the gt3 wheels (nicest stock wheel design to date).

Now, let's talk driving experience!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:14 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
I don't think so! I suspect GT3 may actually have comparable premiums.

Its about historical claims! I can't help myself, but GT3 owners are prob on average better drivers than GTS owner.
Except that historical buyers of the GT3 aren't necessarily the same buyers of the 991 GT3 anymore. I would bet the vast majority of 991 GT3 buyers are closer to the 911 GTS buyers than 997.2 GT3 buyers.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:17 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Default !

Originally Posted by doubleurx
6-8% on a newly released model?....maybe
Better looking back end?......debatable.
GT3rear spoiler -cheap?....go try to order one.
Rear seats....yes for 10 and under
Manual transmission....I'll take the PDK-S over the current 7 speed.
No center locks...well that is good in my book, but I wouldn't pass up the gt3 wheels (nicest stock wheel design to date).

Now, let's talk driving experience!
I have next to zero doubts on that discount percent. This doesn't appear to be limited production and Porsche will probably build every car they can sell.

I'm not talking about Porsche's price on the wing; I'm talking about the fact that it's really no better quality than what you'd find on a Subaru. There's no excuse for a plastic wing on a 130k+ car.

I've had grown women in the back seats of the 991 on the passenger side. They didn't like the lack of lateral support but for short distances it isn't an issue at all. Unless you like your women bigger than I do it shouldn't be an issue!

The driving experience is probably gonna be best with the manual if you're driving the car on American streets. If you're on the track I'm sure the GT3 will blow it away.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:17 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Okay- The Gt3 is a bargain and no one can argue that but Porsche is brilliant. - This car has back seats and you can get it as a convertible. Has a "GT"(S) badge and is a modest upgrade over the Carrera-S.
Now - for me, and the hardcore Porsche fanatic - no interest and I get it. But for the common person they will eat this up. The GT3 is for a selective group and we are very few compared to the masses. That is a good thing and never want that to change.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I thought we were comparing base prices and their relative value. So you can get a Cab, or AWD, or Burmester stereo for a base of $114K...

AWD has a $7K+ premium; a Cab is +$12K; Burmester is +$5K. Hmm...let's add some "free" optional sport buckets to the GT3 side of the equation and.....
Okay fully agree on that. It is so easy to configure it to be more expensive than a base gt3. I plan to DD my gt3 in the city and the only missing options I want are the parking sensors and the 5 wheel lug wheel option.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:22 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
I have next to zero doubts on that discount percent. This doesn't appear to be limited production and Porsche will probably build every car they can sell. I'm not talking about Porsche's price on the wing; I'm talking about the fact that it's really no better quality than what you'd find on a Subaru. There's no excuse for a plastic wing on a 130k+ car. I've had grown women in the back seats of the 991 on the passenger side. They didn't like the lack of lateral support but for short distances it isn't an issue at all. Unless you like your women bigger than I do it shouldn't be an issue! The driving experience is probably gonna be best with the manual if you're driving the car on American streets. If you're on the track I'm sure the GT3 will blow it away.
Looks like you've found your next car! On the back seats, you put your women there? People in front must be really short

Quick Reply: GTS