Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Understand, though I still like skid plates. Or more likely a couple UHMWPE and aluminum skid rails, one on either side, attached under or replacing the existing side skirts where the car would touch using those mounting holes. Skids work great for this kind of thing: I used to crew chief U2 spy planes, and it dropped a wing every time it landed and dragged it on a skid plate at 25 mph. Then we'd go pick it up and stick a wheel in to taxi...

Am I the only on that thinks you'd be the man bottoming out on the way into your garage every day? If you change your mind let me know and I'll donate my engineering services to take a more serious look at it...
Old 10-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Petevb. Thats a great story mate!

Alex. Thats more like it. Looking on the bright side.

P.S. You didnt say you were renting! Easy. Give notice and go rent a place in the outer burbs with a double garage and decent entry....and find a new Gfriend I suspect!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Petevb. Thats a great story mate!

Alex. Thats more like it. Looking on the bright side.

P.S. You didnt say you were renting! Easy. Give notice and go rent a place in the outer burbs with a double garage and decent entry....and find a new Gfriend I suspect!
HAHA... you have no idea the kind of waiting lists that there are to live here... people OUT-BID each to other to rent at prices which would make a Hong-Kong penthouse look like a homeless shelter. Marin County across the golden gate is the most expensive county in the country next to Manhattan, and I would have to go waaaaaay out (like where Mike in CA is happily retired) in order to find a good place... the traffic is insane.

Lastly... the apartment I have is literally one of most incredible places I have every lived, and while I pay stupid money for it... the prices have actually gone up by almost 25% since a year ago. It's not an easy place to find housing.. full of internet millionaires (and a few Billionaires) whose money comes in 7 figures at a time... I got lucky and i'm staying put. Every day i see people commute out of the city, while I bicycle or walk to my house and sit on the roof with a glass of wine... i thank my stars. wouldn't change it, even for a gt3.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Fair enough mate!

The way Im feeling at the moment about the markets I would advise you rotate from equities to real estate, but then Id almost certainly be sending you to ruin!

I thought property in NZ (Auckland) was stupidly priced (even investors from the USA have a hard time accepting the pricing - though that may change if the USD gets stronger as the NZD has been at record highs these last 4-5 years) but I forget there are places like SA and HK to make everything seem more reasonable! We stayed in a friends rented 62m2 (2 tiny bedroom!!) apartment in HK in Jan for four days. Almost fell over when she said it had just changed hands for over $1.6 mill USD. OMG. Doesn't matter what you earn IMO its not worth it!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Don't worry - GT3's actually don't exist. They make it to the port and then sit there forever. ;-) I'm bummed. I've enjoyed your posts and your enthusiasm and you will be sorely missed. Even if you could find a way to shoehorn it in, Macca's point was a good one - it would significantly impact the enjoyment of it and therefore diminish it's value to you.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:13 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so hard to believe there isn't SOME solution for your driveway. Hell, call a concrete truck to show up and re-do the whole thing? few thousand?

anyway, regardless, beautiful view and even more beautiful girl...she is a keeper, don't screw that up...
Old 10-06-2014, 10:32 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Since you've got the bikes, I'm surprised you didn't really look into garaging the GT3 elsewhere and riding your bikes to go take it for a drive.

I don't store my track car at home and it's actually more of an experience to go drive it. My GT3 will stay at home, but I'll drive it to the tracks and switch to my track car...
Old 10-06-2014, 10:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
LOL, I love the creativity, The lift would also have to stretch out into the tiny one way street, and then tilt both laterally and make a 90 degree turn to scoop up the car. Well, that made me smile for sure
Also... if your garage is only 5" wider than the car (assuming interior dimension) how can you ingress/egress on a car with such a wide door? Sorry to hear about your garage situation.

I would still investigate further and perhaps there's a neighbor who could swap garages with you.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:40 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petevb
Understand, though I still like skid plates. Or more likely a couple UHMWPE and aluminum skid rails, one on either side, attached under or replacing the existing side skirts where the car would touch using those mounting holes. Skids work great for this kind of thing: I used to crew chief U2 spy planes, and it dropped a wing every time it landed and dragged it on a skid plate at 25 mph. Then we'd go pick it up and stick a wheel in to taxi...

Am I the only on that thinks you'd be the man bottoming out on the way into your garage every day? If you change your mind let me know and I'll donate my engineering services to take a more serious look at it...
Very, VERY cool, Pete. Ever get any work on the SR71??
Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Alexio,
You will be missed. I always enjoyed your posts, perspective, and humor. Come lurk anytime.

Seriously, I would look into Nateoz's idea of renting a garage on the outskirts of town, (where it is cheaper), or putting a portable garage on the land of a friend in suburbia.
You just drive the Ducati over there when you want to use the GT3, which will make your GT3 time even more of an event.

If traffic is such a nightmare in downtown SF, you wouldn't want your GT3 in that mess anyway.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:04 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I have a 991 GT3 in jet black, buckets, and almost every leather option you can think of. Come to Dallas in January and you can drive it.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I am sort of bummed out. "Where there is a will there is a way". You probably have thought this all out and to each their own. Some times all the extra agony for a solution is not worth the additional money and time. I have a gut feeling though we will not be hearing the last from you.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:17 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
There is a reason this is a 1%r group lol.. You Guys don't give up! So, I share a tandem garage with a neighbor.. It's so tight in there you wouldn't believe, just having a garage in this hilly little place is a luxury I guess. All these amazing ramp contraptions require a single use garage with some level of storage, or access. As mike correctly stated; it's not a lip issue, the whole left side of the car would get totally stuck in the center to get over the hump. No swinging in as there these little cement structures on the sides which some genius added for no apparent reason which limit entry to just 2.5in on each side of the Max width of a gt3.. Garage opens slightly once inside. I actually saw a boxster get into an underground garage recently whereby the rear tire came of the ground a whole foot as the front went in.. I probably would put up with that. But when you're coming in off an off-camber incline into a flat surface almost a foot off the street.. And Only on one side... It gets pretty complex. Trust me, I sat and stared at that car with 1/16th of an inch left before it touched with a sense of panic and despair. My buddy just laughed and laughed.. He said you'd think a family member had just died.. I think he was just jealous he had a lowly 911 and not a gt3. My sweet girlfriend said "look on the bright side, you'll have more mOney to spare for jewelry for me, and you'll spend less time on that damn phone texting strangers"... I resented that last part but had to remind myself women are built differently than guys. I'm sure Brett at Sonnen has already contacted another lucky soul to let him know his spot just magically opened up... It's outta my hands now... I'm sure we'll meet the lucky guy at any moment starting an oh so cheery thread with a title like "last minute spot for ED.. Weeeee... Lucky meeee!"... ***.
OMG! How can you give up after she said that?

Dan (would get a jackhammer to flatten out the garage if he had to)
Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I have a 991 GT3 in jet black, buckets, and almost every leather option you can think of. Come to Dallas in January and you can drive it.
I'd love to respond to everyone, and glad to know my attempts at humor didn't come through as assholery... But I had to quote kyrocks so that he can't take it back.

Anyway, you guys are too nice, I'll stick around and make snarky comments veiled with a tinge of jealousy for awhile. But Only if people keep debating the important subjects like PLASTIDIP and post more pics. I hate threads without pics.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:54 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK Alex, what I like to know is who are you going to make the designated Plasti-dipping expert during your absence? Save your money and buy one later. There will always be better ones later. Ducati is more fun than any car. I ride one to work almost every day.

Cheers. Love SF.

Quick Reply: My garage