Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: PCCB or Full Leather?
KEEP PCCB - Ditch the leather
32.94%
REMOVE PCCB - Red deviated full leather is worth it
67.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Full Leather or PCCB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:16 PM
SECRET
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Full Leather or PCCB?

Guys,

I need your thoughts on this one. I'm going with bucket seats, but I'm waffling on between:

KEEP PCCB and going partial leather with no red in the interior

or

REMOVE PCCB and going full leather with red deviated stitching and red seat belts to go with the red brakes.

Help?

Rich
Old 10-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,386 Likes on 720 Posts

Wow - this could be quite a debate.

I had similar decision and went with the done-up interior and red calipers but there is no right nor wrong
Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

If both or not an option I would say it depends on your usage. I went with full later because I like a nice looking cabin, and I have no need to upgraded the brakes. (Money was not the issue it was actual usage). Honestly you will get a 50/50 distribution on this board, and the best answer is always get what you want because you will have to live with it. But if you look at actual need you will land in the right place. As I said I like a very nice cabin, and I like my cars to look great on the inside and outside. I'm not into the dull look of the standard interior just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,386 Likes on 720 Posts

^Agree and nicely put
Old 10-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET M
Guys,

I need your thoughts on this one. I'm going with bucket seats, but I'm waffling on between:

KEEP PCCB and going partial leather with no red in the interior

or

REMOVE PCCB and going full leather with red deviated stitching and red seat belts to go with the red brakes.

Help?

Rich
This was a decision I wrestled with. The $10K that PCCB cost will allow you to load up the interior, which is what I chose to do. Now I would guess it depends on what you will be doing. I chose to go with Steel and load up the interior because though this car will see the track, it's not going to see it often, maybe 5 times per year. The stitching is addictive! Once you get started, you will be doing the steering column, extended dash, and air vents too!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:43 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

crumudgedy corner kicking in here...

are you serious?

you're going to avoid a performance option on the GT3 that reduces unsprung weight, improves braking, eliminates brake dust, etc. because you are torn on whether or not you need added stitching in the interior? If you are tracking the car a lot, you should get the iron brakes regardless, which has been discussed here ad nauseum. But if you are only doing a few track events per year, to me this is a no brainer. I am quite certain I will get flamed for this post. I am prepared. There is nothing wrong with getting what you want, and for some they want more luxury in the car. Understood. But I think this is the first time I read of someone deciding between the extra leather/stitching and PCCBs. To me that is a different question. Now personally, I don't care if Porsche was making me the car for free, I just don't like all the extra leather and stitching (especially red). I feel that it makes the interior look so damn busy. There are already so many angles, different materials, etc. in that interior. To add more just makes it look gawdy. To each their own. But when someone says its that or PCCBs... well, just had to voice an opinion. Thanks for indulging

look at this... bleh...
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2014, 07:48 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

vs. this... I personally am not sure about the white gauges, but otherwise...

simple, subtle, taut, dark, all business.... German. Not Italian.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2014, 07:59 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are not going to track the car very often....get PCCB so you can get all those advantages of lighter unsprung weight for street driving LOL. Bag the pccb's
Old 10-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
If you are not going to track the car very often....get PCCB so you can get all those advantages of lighter unsprung weight for street driving LOL. Bag the pccb's
That was pretty funny I must say!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:20 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

countless articles covering the benefits of driving dynamics from that much unsprung weight... even on the street... besides, that's not the question here... he's going to get one or the other... money is spent... rockitman, being such a hardcore track guy, if you HAD to pick between PCCBs or extra leather and stitching for a street car, you would pick the latter? with someone elses money? you may say you would, but I'm not buying it...

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...gt3/specs.html
Old 10-05-2014, 08:26 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only benefit the PCCB give you is the unsprung weight, which is minimal, given the larger diameter rotor. They do not bring the car to a stop any shorter than the steel brakes. The braking system on the GT3 is far more capable than anything you need on the street.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jonathan,

I plan to track 7-10 days per year...hardly hard core. I just don't see pccb's making me any faster. They are too fragile, IMO to justify their increase in cost for better braking(perhaps) and lower unsprung weight . I am confident I will have plenty of fun toiling around the track with cast iron rotors. I remember all the issues people had tracking pccb during the 996 GT3'era. I am also not crazy about yellow calipers on anything but a racing yellow Porsche. different strokes for different folks.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
crumudgedy corner kicking in here...

are you serious?

you're going to avoid a performance option on the GT3 that reduces unsprung weight, improves braking, eliminates brake dust, etc. because you are torn on whether or not you need added stitching in the interior? If you are tracking the car a lot, you should get the iron brakes regardless, which has been discussed here ad nauseum. But if you are only doing a few track events per year, to me this is a no brainer. I am quite certain I will get flamed for this post. I am prepared. There is nothing wrong with getting what you want, and for some they want more luxury in the car. Understood. But I think this is the first time I read of someone deciding between the extra leather/stitching and PCCBs. To me that is a different question. Now personally, I don't care if Porsche was making me the car for free, I just don't like all the extra leather and stitching (especially red). I feel that it makes the interior look so damn busy. There are already so many angles, different materials, etc. in that interior. To add more just makes it look gawdy. To each their own. But when someone says its that or PCCBs... well, just had to voice an opinion. Thanks for indulging

look at this... bleh...
No flame here. You're exactly right; it's a performance car so you go with the performance option if it's a choice between that and dress up. If the car is being used for heavy tracking then there are different issues to consider as has been pointed out many times.

The argument that there is no reason enjoy the benefit of PCCB's in a car driven mostly on the street is a non-starter, IMHO. If that's the case why bother with a GT3, 475HP, RWS, and <100ms shifts in the first place. Buy a nice Carrera Cab, fill it with leather, and call it a day.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:34 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I really considered the carbon fiber package, but given it's 2k, it didn't seem worth it. The aluminum look in my 991S is pretty nice already.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rockitman
Jonathan,

I plan to track 7-10 days per year...hardly hard core. I just don't see pccb's making me any faster. They are too fragile, IMO to justify their increase in cost for better braking(perhaps) and lower unsprung weight . I am confident I will have plenty of fun toiling around the track with cast iron rotors. I remember all the issues people had tracking pccb during the 996 GT3'era. I am also not crazy about yellow calipers on anything but a racing yellow Porsche. different strokes for different folks.
indeed... as I said too, this is all personal...

I want us all to remember the question here (the way I saw it) wasn't really PCCB vs. Iron.

The question was whether he should DROP PCCB to have a full leather interior in his GT3.... sorry, on that question I agree with Mike in CA sentiments exactly...

Quick Reply: Full Leather or PCCB?