Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: PCCB or Full Leather?
KEEP PCCB - Ditch the leather
32.94%
REMOVE PCCB - Red deviated full leather is worth it
67.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Full Leather or PCCB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:57 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET M
this is awesome feedback so far, and i really do value each of your points of view.

one thing i wanted to ask you guys was your thoughts on longevity of the dash with or without leather. this may ultimately open the door wide open for speculative answers, but does anyone know if a leather dash is less likely to dry/crack etc than the stock plastic dash?

just thinking about my future grandkids 30-40 years from now. [yes, i just caught myself wondering why i am thinking that far out, but has that crossed anyone's mind?]
this is another reason I don't like the leather dash.... if you're keeping the car a fairly short amount of time, probably not a big deal...but when I look at leather dashes in 996 and 993 cars, they don't look like they have weathered TX sun well... people talk of not wanting cheap/plastic looking parts in the interior, but I feel that is just something to say to justify an option they don't have to justify...the leather is beautiful and if you want it, get it... but the standard interior doesn't look cheap to me, the materials are awesome...
Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Isn't the PCCB also over double the price of full leather with stiching on the GT3?

It seems the PCCB argument is - "it's a performance car - get the performance option." Well when they put the PCCB on the CUP car than maybe that will make sense.

You're basically paying 9k for an uglier looking caliper to most people (that's why they sell more Ducatis and Ferraris in red than yellow) and less brake dust. If you drive the car on the street you're not gonna notice the minor unsprung weight difference and if you drive the car on the track you don't want ceramics anyways -

Further, the 991 GT3 is really just a raced-up 911 -- not at toned down GT3 CUP. At the end of the day you'll probably notice the nicer interior a lot more than slightly lighter brakes which don't stop any faster.

Go with the slightly heavier brakes and the much heavier wallet.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:24 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
I struggled for ages on the exact same decision. And went with neither.

But now I've lived with the car for 9,000 kms i can give you a definitive answer. Get the PCCBs.

Reason is that although the car is 100% awesome I'm constantly pained by the fact that I could have slightly better handling and steering feel.

I wish there were an objective test to answer whether that would be true or not.

As for the leather, I had it on the loaner Boxter and when I first got the plastic GT3 the interior felt like a step down and I regretted that too. But having lived with it I actually prefer the plastic. The simplicity reminds me I'm in a sports car.
interesting to hear your real life perspective...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET M
this is awesome feedback so far, and i really do value each of your points of view.

one thing i wanted to ask you guys was your thoughts on longevity of the dash with or without leather. this may ultimately open the door wide open for speculative answers, but does anyone know if a leather dash is less likely to dry/crack etc than the stock plastic dash?

just thinking about my future grandkids 30-40 years from now. [yes, i just caught myself wondering why i am thinking that far out, but has that crossed anyone's mind?]
My guess is that longevity should not be a concern if your car is well cared for. I think either material will hold up just fine. Now, if you are comparing PCCB and cast iron let me tell you about longevity...... just kidding!

At the end of the day, picking your options is a fun and nerve wracking process. Do your homework and pick the options that will put the biggest smile on your face when you get in your car every morning, regardless of what anyone here tells you. If its having the confidence of PCCBs under your foot then get them. If its knowing that your butt is wrapped in leather go for it. There is not a right or wrong answer. Above all have fun!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
There is not a right or wrong answer. Above all have fun!
^^That's the best comment, IMHO! Sports car = fun = do what you want that allows you to enjoy the ownership experience to the fullest.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Depends on how you will use the car.

As a DD or weekend fun car? You will spend more time looking at the interior of the car than the exterior. Once you have owned a full leather Porsche, the standard interior just doesn't measure up.

As a track car? Don't really need or want either PCCB or full leather. Use the money for some 19" wheels and track tires.

As a show car? The full leather looks nice. So do the PCCB's. Either or both would be fine.

I wrestled with the same decision. While the PCCB's may offer a theoretic advantage, I doubt anyone short of Patrick Long would be able to notice. Certainly not with legal street driving in the US. The only advantage of PCCB's I could realistically see was less brake dust. OK, for some that's a big deal. However, I could pay someone $100 a month to clean my wheels each and every month for over 7 and 1/2 years before I reached the cost of the PCCB's. Might be worth it to some folks I guess.

On the other hand, they are the same brakes on a 918 Spyder. How else can you have the seats and brakes from a 918 for under $200k??

Bottom line - get what you want for reasons that are important to you.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:53 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
I believe that our...errr....spare tires.....are sprung weight, and therefore not quite as bad
that's true of course; driver weight = sprung weight but so too is a lightweight bucket
Old 10-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Isn't the PCCB also over double the price of full leather with stiching on the GT3?

It seems the PCCB argument is - "it's a performance car - get the performance option." Well when they put the PCCB on the CUP car than maybe that will make sense.

You're basically paying 9k for an uglier looking caliper to most people (that's why they sell more Ducatis and Ferraris in red than yellow) and less brake dust. If you drive the car on the street you're not gonna notice the minor unsprung weight difference and if you drive the car on the track you don't want ceramics anyways -

Further, the 991 GT3 is really just a raced-up 911 -- not at toned down GT3 CUP. At the end of the day you'll probably notice the nicer interior a lot more than slightly lighter brakes which don't stop any faster.

Go with the slightly heavier brakes and the much heavier wallet.
Respectfully, you have no proof that the current generation PCCB's on the 991 GT3 stop the same as the current generation stock brakes. Please provide evidence if I'm wrong.

The Cup car example is a red herring because Cup cars are built to a specific standard. Porsche doesn't put computer adjustable suspension, infinitely variable electronic diff, ABS, or any number of other performance enhancements that are available on the street car on the Cup car, AFAIK. That doesn't mean those enhancements aren't worthwhile.

As to whether one can feel the difference I'll make a deal. When people stop talking about the advantages of saving weight with lighter wheels, lighter seats, lighter battery, or a lighter exhaust bypass, I'll stop talking about saving 30-35 lbs of un-sprung weight with lighter brakes.

Buy leather, buy brakes, buy both, buy neither. TEHO. I love the PCCB's and I also love the optional leather interior. But if I had to choose.....
Old 10-06-2014, 04:04 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread got me thinking about PCCB again. I searched all the forums, read all of the experiences and once again ruled them out. When you need to replace the rotors, it's $20K OEM or $16K if you go with the racingbrake solution. I could also by a complete set of RacingBrake's 2 piece iron rotors and better calipers for $10k.. http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe...por-irp-03.htm
They will be superior to any Porsche OEM brake kit whether PCCB or not. Since I will be tracking this car, this makes the most sense for me. YMMV.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:50 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
This thread got me thinking about PCCB again. I searched all the forums, read all of the experiences and once again ruled them out. When you need to replace the rotors, it's $20K OEM or $16K if you go with the racingbrake solution. I could also by a complete set of RacingBrake's 2 piece iron rotors and better calipers for $10k.. http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe...por-irp-03.htm
They will be superior to any Porsche OEM brake kit whether PCCB or not. Since I will be tracking this car, this makes the most sense for me. YMMV.
How many track days per year?
Old 10-06-2014, 04:53 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jlanka
How many track days per year?
I plan on 5 to 10 with 90% at Limerock Raceway Park...a pretty short but heavy braking track.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

ok i'll admit... I went back and took a second look at full leather too...

I still decided against it... I think its the stitching on the dash I really don't like...at least not in a GT3...

good thread though
Old 10-06-2014, 05:05 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I plan on 5 to 10 with 90% at Limerock Raceway Park...a pretty short but heavy braking track.
I hope to get there next season. Still not sure if I'll show up with red or yellow calipers...
Old 10-06-2014, 05:25 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jlanka
I hope to get there next season. Still not sure if I'll show up with red or yellow calipers...
Either way, the track is a blast...easy to learn and remember a bit tougher to drive fast where you need to be the fastest...the Uphiller and the downhiller corners which require some ***** to execute at 9/10ths.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I had Pccbs on the gt3 997.1 I just sold.

Driving with them is like having the Hand of God stopping you. No dust ,no noise, no wear in 20 k mi ,
I have them ordered on the 991 gt3 coming with out question. Gave up the leather and carbon stuff and didn't think twice.

BTW these are the same brakes on the 918 ...need I say more !
Elliot

Quick Reply: Full Leather or PCCB?