Old 12-05-2014, 09:42 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Old 12-05-2014, 09:53 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

saw it yday. CH seems to like it. Im surprised to hear him say that the car is envolving and "loud." I was expecting it to be a plush GT. Kudos to MB for keeping the traditional steering rack. Porsche, are you listening????
Old 12-05-2014, 10:41 AM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default AMG-GTs rear view

Was on the fence on purchasing one until I saw the US version rear clip. Next to license plate for the US gets the "lovely" bumper pads the fill the gap from the Euro bumper, totally ruined the flow for me, take a look.
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/...14-600x309.jpg
Old 12-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Putting MPSC2 instead of MPSS on it would likely improve feel and performance substantially. Seems like an impressive car, maybe even suited for track use if it's reliable and durable enough. And the 'cool' factor is certainly there, AMG is very good at that (love my '11 C63). But if the price is in the ballpark of the GT3, it'll need to be damn good to take sales away from the GT3.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:07 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by odwa
Was on the fence on purchasing one until I saw the US version rear clip. Next to license plate for the US gets the "lovely" bumper pads the fill the gap from the Euro bumper, totally ruined the flow for me, take a look.
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/...14-600x309.jpg
Yeah, that is not good - glad that porsche stopped this with the 991.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:44 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps they will offer EUro "bumperettes"?

I dont think this iteration is aimed at the GT3. Perhaps they will offer a Black series or similar to compete w/ that/ . I think the natural comp will be the TT.

Last edited by kosmo; 12-06-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:19 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's probably a strong chance that the GT3 is completely sold-out prior to the AMG-GT being available anyways... I don't think there is really any 'competing' for these lower volume cars - all will sell out without much worry... The real competition is the 911S and TT markets, where availability is not limited...

I personally think it's a cool looking car, and will be a solid competitor for the 991 and R8/9... AMG's always have an amazing sound, with well appointed and comfortable interiors...
Old 12-05-2014, 03:29 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the 991 GT3 even true dry sump? I've heard conflicting reports.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:39 PM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It's more beautiful than the SLS. The rear spoiler is a little bit 'awkward' but it's ok!
Old 12-05-2014, 03:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by 908/3fan
It's more beautiful than the SLS. The rear spoiler is a little bit 'awkward' but it's ok!
Strange that the rear spoiler isn't adjustable or mobile
Old 12-05-2014, 04:26 PM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Rear spoiler is only on the Edition 1, the first 380 units, its a specific introductory release.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:58 PM
shawsan
Instructor

Thanks for this. I've owned 5 ferraris and 5 porsches, but have even never driven a Merc, not even once. Can't believe I'm admitting this! The single thing that does tug on me when I think of Merc's is they are built like a tank and have been dipped 5 times when painted. That has appeal but not enough to get me to drive one yet.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Is the 991 GT3 even true dry sump? I've heard conflicting reports.
Conflicting, as in, the reports saying it's a true dry sump are correct and the others are wrong! Be conflicted no more....

1.10 Oil supply
Compared with the current 911 Carrera models, the new 911 GT3 features classic
dry-sump lubrication with a separate engine oil tank. This system ensures a reliable
oil supply for street and race circuit use.
Red - Pressure side
Orange - Intake side

Dry-sump lubrication
To allow dry-sump lubrication based on the new generation of engines (991), the oil
pan had to be completely redeveloped. The basis for this is the oil supply system
used in the current 911 Carrera models with four oil extraction pumps for the cylinder
heads, an additional oil extraction pump in the oil pan and an oil pressure pump.
There are also two additional oil extraction points in the oil pan at the front and rear
so that the oil can be pumped out reliably into the separate oil tank even during
heavy acceleration and intensive braking phases.

Oil windage tray
The new 911 GT3 also has an oil windage tray. This system originates from motor
racing and has been introduced as a new component. The oil windage tray consists
of a cover between the crankcase and oil pan with 18 individual openings (3 per
cylinder) with sickle-shaped blades. This system separates (“scrapes off”) the spray
oil, which is set in rotary motion by the crankshaft, at the sickle-shaped blades and
lets it drain back into the oil pan, particularly at high engine speeds. As a result,
there is less spray oil in the crankcase and the engine’s so-called “churning losses”
are reduced.
The oil-water heat exchanger and the oil filter are also located on the new oil pan.
Compared with the 911 Carrera engines where the oil-water heat exchanger and oil
filter are mounted above the engine block, their low position serves to further lower
the center of gravity of both the engine and the vehicle.

Engine oil tank
The separate engine oil tank was also newly developed. By changing it to a funnelshaped
design, it was possible to reduce the oil fill volume of the new tank from 7.9
qts (7.5 l) (997 GT3 II) to 6.3 qts (6.0 l) compared with the previous model. This
reduces the vehicle weight by approximately 2.9 lbs (1.3 kg).

Oil pump
In order to reduce the drive losses of auxiliary units as well as churning losses, the
new 911 GT3 is equipped with an electronic demand-controlled oil pump. With this
oil pump, the delivery pressure and volume are controlled for the entire engine map.
It also ensures demand-controlled lubrication and minimizes the energy consumption
of the oil pump.
1 - Variable pressure pump
2 - Suction pump (4 x)
3 - Control valve
In addition to the demand-controlled oil pump, the new 911 GT3 is fitted with not
just one (911 Carrera) but two piston oil spray nozzles, which are opened together,
depending on the temperature, load and engine speed. This allows more intensive
cooling of the pistons, which are subjected to high thermal loads.
Attached Images    
Old 12-05-2014, 07:23 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
No interest for me. I am sure the performance numbers will be very good but I do not like the front end and have never been a fan of Mercedes styling. Plus, my Wife has owned a few and they always have issues
I have several friends in the business including wholesellers and dealership owners and I can tell that insiders know that MBs are not built like were in the 60s- 90s. They have many reliablity issues. And as far as being built like a tank, my friends in the autobody business tell me that Porsches and Audis are probably more tank like than the MBs. I have driven many MBs over the years including various AMGs and even the SLS and the SLS black series. They never seem to the handling and feel of porsches and Ferraris or even Lambos.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
I have several friends in the business including wholesellers and dealership owners and I can tell that insiders know that MBs are not built like were in the 60s- 90s. They have many reliablity issues. And as far as being built like a tank, my friends in the autobody business tell me that Porsches and Audis are probably more tank like than the MBs. I have driven many MBs over the years including various AMGs and even the SLS and the SLS black series. They never seem to the handling and feel of porsches and Ferraris or even Lambos.
I have a 2004 Mercedes ML (tank like) no uni-body.

My mechanic shop who ONLY works on Mercedes has unfortunately echoed your comments as well. Many problems with the new Benz's.

Quick Reply: AMG GT S