Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering column leather

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 05:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Id like to point out that the car with the red gauges in the pic has both leather venrs as well as painted slats. While that does look busy in my opinion, just the leather vents with the additional stitching are really nice. Unfortunately this owner didn't spec the leather steering column which is just bizarre after spending so much on other interior options.

In order of value-appearance (amount off stitching included, visibility, price) from what I've learned on forum and seen in person, my personal ranking of leather options is as follows: 1. Full leather interior
2. Steering column
3. Alcantara center console with emblem or script
4. Extended dash
5. Leather vents
6. Leather internal door sills
7. Leather upper dash
8. Leather visors
9. Leather mirror.
10. Extended door

I'm deciding whether to stop at 3, or go to 4.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Stop at 3 - I thinks that's what mike and I did. Almost all the dash is leather as we discovered just by selecting the extended leather option which is reasonable value. It's all you need. Everyone who has sat in the car has commented how well appointed it is....
Old 10-04-2014, 06:36 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

CAlexio, thanks for summarizing that. I'll add a couple of other points.

There are other leather options which you didn't mention that may be of interest to some:
- seat backs
- steering wheel
- interior package (i.e. the aluminum strips along the doors and dash)
- centre console trim (i.e. the aluminum trim around the shift lever and buttons)
- PCM package (i.e. around the centre display and PCM buttons)
- instrument surround
- fuse box cover
- floor mat edging
- key pouch

As a point of clarification, the alcantara storage compartment lid option with logo or crest does not add any additional alcantara; it only adds the logo or crest. That is, the standard lid is already alcantara.

And there is one additional alcantara option not mentioned in your list: belt outlet trims, which some have said are really nice.

Also, I am wondering if #3 and #7 on your list are duplicated.

For some people, these may be options to consider. Personally, I agree with how you've ordered your list, but liked the key pouch for no good reason. Others really raved about the seat backs. Many people chose the steering wheel in leather for a variety of reasons. The interior package plus centre console trim may be a way to get rid of the aluminum parts there (vs anthracite aluminum option or carbon fibre) without introducing other colours and textures than are already in the mix.

Bottom line, there are tons of options here. And I agree with you that there are a few great bang for your buck options, but there are also others of more dubious value.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:04 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

I should have clarified that this was my personal ranking of items I was considering, I know it's not a complete list of leather options.

3 and 7 arent duplicated, the leather upper dash is the area surrounding the gauges.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:38 PM
YarekO
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no regrets

Old 10-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by YarekO
I have no regrets
Ce qui est beau! And to paraphrase Piaf's tune that was adopted by the 'French Foreign Legion' as it's own, what is there to regret?

'Non, je ne regret rein'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 10-04-2014, 10:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Those leather covered vents are beautiful. It is a good point that you look at those more directly than the extended dash, maybe they should move up the list more. Haven't seen many cars ordered with them.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:24 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Eduardo,

having had more time to digest the information in your earlier post, I think the option I'm interested in is "air vents in leather", option code CTK. I'm interested in the stitching itself and not in having the vents themselves painted in exterior colour.

Attached is a picture of the option from the configurator. From your experience, do you think this is correct?

Vivian.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
air vents in leather.pdf (80.5 KB, 158 views)
Old 10-05-2014, 01:59 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Nice pics yareko!

Is amaranth red your exterior color?

I must admit the red stitching around the vents looks good.

I would also appreciate knowing which vent leather option that is from Eduardo.

Last edited by Drifting; 10-05-2014 at 02:00 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-05-2014, 03:02 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Nice pics yareko!

Originally Posted by irish guitar
Eduardo,

having had more time to digest the information in your earlier post, I think the option I'm interested in is "air vents in leather", option code CTK. I'm interested in the stitching itself and not in having the vents themselves painted in exterior colour.

Attached is a picture of the option from the configurator. From your experience, do you think this is correct?

Vivian.
For those mostly interested in the look of front dash air vents with leather surround with decorative stitching but not 'painted slats' to match the exterior, the 'Porsche Exclusive' option CTK is your answer! That is what 'YarekO' seems to have ordered for his 'Amaranth Red Metallic' 991 gt3 (see attachment 1 & 2). Option CTK and CDN both cost the same - US$1720. Other vent options offer either color on the surrounding trim (option CTR- attachment 3, 4 & 5) or just leather-covered slats but no leather in the surrounding trim (option CZV-attachment 6, but no additional photo to show you an example). CTR is equally expensive at $1720 but CZV is cheaper at $1200. CTR offers a customer another way to bring 'color' into the cabin's interior trim. And option CZV would work well in some circumstances if the leather is in a contrasting color and can be seen!

By the way, option CDN can apparently be ordered with painted slats in a color deviating from the exterior color. It was done this way with a 'white-like' color on the PTS 'Viper Green' Porsche Exclusive Turbo S cabriolet to match the deviating stitching color (attachment 7) on that vehicle! Those of you ordering a 991 gt3 have a limited color selection for interiors...so 'black' leather slats don't look that different from 'black' standard slats at a distance. But there is a possibility that 'Porsche Exclusive' will let you order one of these vent options with deviated color leather on the slats for the gt3. Just imagine the YarekO's CTK's vents with leather slats in 'Garnet Red' instead of 'Black'...and you can see what I am talking about! Regardless, these options all look great to my eyes...and its use depends on your decorating taste & budget.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images        

Last edited by Z356; 10-05-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:36 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 720 Posts

CAlexio - I would stop at 4 but now would also consider those air vents in leather because the stitching looks awesome around them and replace 3 with it
Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 AM
YarekO
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pics yareko!

Yes, exterior color is Amaranth Red. I wanted red color and GR is too bright for me. I was told only 3 AR GT3’s were build for US market. It makes it very unique. Mfg. code for Air Vents in leather is “CTK”. Anybody considering this option should look at Sport Seats Backrest Shells in Leather “XWK”. I did on mine. Standard car comes with silver color plastic cover which in my opinion does not work with most offered exterior colors.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YarekO
Yes, exterior color is Amaranth Red. I wanted red color and GR is too bright for me. I was told only 3 AR GT3’s were build for US market. It makes it very unique. Mfg. code for Air Vents in leather is “CTK”. Anybody considering this option should look at Sport Seats Backrest Shells in Leather “XWK”. I did on mine. Standard car comes with silver color plastic cover which in my opinion does not work with most offered exterior colors.
Very nice choices Yarelko. A rare color and nice interior touches.

Would you mind posting a picture that includes the backrest shells in leather, and a second picture or two taken from the drivers seat looking at toward the dash and air vents as if you were sitting in the car?
Old 10-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
CAlexio - I would stop at 4 but now would also consider those air vents in leather because the stitching looks awesome around them and replace 3 with it
That's now my dilemma. I'm debating getting the air vents in leather with the red stitching and not the extended dash. Besides the cost, I think it might just look better that way.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

That's now my dilemma. I'm debating getting the air vents in leather with the red stitching and not the extended dash. Besides the cost, I think it might just look better that way.
The regular vents tie in nicely with the regular aluminum trim, however, If you have carbon or brushed aluminum then they stick out a bit and the stitched version might be better. Tough call. Extended dash is SO nice, but you don't see it much.

Or you just say eff it and spend $4k on both... Which is absurd as this is more than the extended leather package alone... But again, nothing is sane

Quick Reply: Steering column leather