Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Leak

Old 09-29-2014, 07:42 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Leak

Anyone else having any problems w/ tranny fluid leaking?

When I went through my exercise rotating 20" to 19", OEM to Hoosiers, then Hoosiers to another tire, we noticed drops of fluid under the motor? Turned out to be transmission fluid?

Then I noticed 2nd gear banging hard into gear.

Number of times changing pads, we're noticing fluid then too?

Took it to dealer, took underpanels apart, sprayed w/ degreaser, cleaned undercarriage up and then filled it with almost a liter of fluid!

They let it run for a while, took it out on the street and all seemed fine.

I ran this weekend again and same fluid leak.

In speaking w/ various people, it's my understanding the 918 has a "catch bottle" for when transmission gets too hot and the fluid expands? Tech is trying to figure out how to make something up for GT3?

Anyone out there that tracks (which is probably EVERYONE ), check underneath and look. You might start seeing fluids?

Each run as I get more and more comfortable, I've been pressing the car and it seems the trans temps are becoming an issue??
Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq

When I went through my exercise rotating 20" to 19", OEM to Hoosiers, then Hoosiers to another tire, we noticed drops of fluid under the motor? Turned out to be transmission fluid?

Took it to dealer, took underpanels apart, sprayed w/ degreaser, cleaned undercarriage up and then filled it with almost a liter of fluid!

In speaking w/ various people, it's my understanding the 918 has a "catch bottle" for when transmission gets too hot and the fluid expands? Tech is trying to figure out how to make something up for GT3?

Anyone out there that tracks (which is probably EVERYONE ), check underneath and look. You might start seeing fluids?

Each run as I get more and more comfortable, I've been pressing the car and it seems the trans temps are becoming an issue??
Wow if engineering missed installing an expansion tank/bottle for tranny it would appear to be a rather big oversight especially when there own data suggested 80% of GT3 owners track their cars? Surely this would have presented itself in testing, they subjected the test mules to some serious abuse?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq

Definitely keep us informed. Its the first Ive heard of this and just today have been speaking with a couple of 991 GT3 owners in Europe that between them have put over 5000 hard track Kms on their 991 GT3s at Imola, Spa, Ring and Magns Cours without issue. It may be possible its a gasket?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

John - I bet it's part of the joy of the engine replacement. Something didn't seal. Just a guess.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^ trans cooler needed?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

It sound like a gasket leak. Would not be the first time on a Porsche for this to happen
Old 09-29-2014, 12:34 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

I hate to speculate but is it possible its isolated to your tranny...in terms of the heat issue. As you know something could be causing a higher than normal temp because of abnormal situation. I'm assuming the dealer might have examined fluid to verify no metal particles? I believe there is also a detailed temp test for tranny that a Porsche tech can do for normal operation, maybe if something is abnormal with internals the normal temp test would read slightly warmer than normal (but not hot enough to cause notice in normsl use). Again, you're a track guy so I know you know all this just throwing it out as a possibility.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:24 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Something further to consider ... Porsche uses a Locktite sealant now on almost all metal to metal surfaces in and around the engine/transmission. Very possible the amount of Locktite was either insufficient for the area in question or there is some very minor warping of the metal to metal contacts, which could be exacerbated with high heat (high end of normal range) and cause the seal to become ineffective. Since PDK-S is supposedly a non-repair item, you may be the recipient of not just a new engine, but a new PDK-S as well.

If past history is any indication, and assuming your dealer/service manager confirm a leaky PDK-S, I'll wager PAG will want the unit back for a full for a forensic study.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^What do you mean PDK-S is supposedly a non-repair item? - can you elaborate
Old 09-29-2014, 02:19 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Porsche will replace full assemblies, they typically will not have dealership tech disassemble unit. For same reason that full engine assemblies were replaced as opposed to just having problem parts changed out.......way to much risk on it not being done properly and future problems. Besides its less expensive way to address issues and as it was stated they can examine old assembly for more analysis.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

10 years ownership anyone? I mean,replacing PDK-S past warranty can't be more than a brand new C300 4matic.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:22 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Originally Posted by sccchiii
Porsche will replace full assemblies, they typically will not have dealership tech disassemble unit. For same reason that full engine assemblies were replaced as opposed to just having problem parts changed out.......way to much risk on it not being done properly and future problems. Besides its less expensive way to address issues and as it was stated they can examine old assembly for more analysis.
^^^ yes.

With the exception of maintenance (two fluid fill areas), the PDK and PDK-S are currently designated as non-repair items and are replaced in whole, if required.

I'm not suggesting this is or will be the case with the OP, just that in the past with PDK leaks or malfunction, PAG has replaced the whole unit. But it does take a well documented effort by the dealer/service manager, not just the owner.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Thanks - makes sense on some thing that is probably very complicate unit
Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I hate to speculate but is it possible its isolated to your tranny...in terms of the heat issue. As you know something could be causing a higher than normal temp because of abnormal situation. I'm assuming the dealer might have examined fluid to verify no metal particles? I believe there is also a detailed temp test for tranny that a Porsche tech can do for normal operation, maybe if something is abnormal with internals the normal temp test would read slightly warmer than normal (but not hot enough to cause notice in normsl use). Again, you're a track guy so I know you know all this just throwing it out as a possibility.
Yes, I've got to admit I'm a track guy, but in no way insinuate I'm mechanically inclined, WHATSOEVER.

I've now got almost 3000 track miles (1000 "pre" and 2000 "post" engine), but if none of you folks out there are having anything like this happening, then I'm really starting to believe it's isolated to just my car?

Someone else suggested it might be related to just me and as a result of the engine swap? Bringing it to dealer tomorrow and will let tech know what you all said.

I don't understand how an engine swap could effect the transmission? Had enough track miles before the swap where i didn't have fluid leaking?

Will this NOT end???
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mate - thats a fairly serious amount of track miles. If anyone was going to shake an issue out with this car on the track early on you might be the guinea pig?

My track group includes two guys with track modified 996TT tiptronics. Both have had issues with the fluid expansion leaving a puddle after a long fast drive or a track session in the past - lst time it was after some gearbox work and attributed to being overfilled when the job was done. Assuming no one has topped up your gearbox oil since you had the car this is probably unlikely in your case - however it seems heat is an issue (with all gearboxes) and your box may be creating more heat recently than it should. probably an oil change at the least is required to try and figure things out. The service mileage for a heavily tracked car is 6000 miles if I recall according to the manual and you must be getting up there on the transmission especially given the use its been getting.

If I remember back to the original "stop production" in relation to the 991 GT3 back in Sept/October 2013 the rumour then was that the factory had identified a PDK-S overheating issue after heavy abuse. I was led to believe by some folks better in the know that a fix was designed (larger cooler?) and fitted to all cars that had been at that time produced but awaiting shipping. Ive seen as other have the transmission out of the car (I posted my engine swap photos - 20+ of them on a thread elsewhere as you will recall) and the gearbox indeed seems to be well equipped with oil coolers. Id be surprised if the design is an issue especially when you see (on Youtube) and hear of cars on track in Europe (like RSR taxi 991 GT3 at ring) etc that have done thousands of laps already in European summer without issue. That being said this is a small sample gorup, only 700 cars probably delivered to customers by now and maybe only 15% of those pushed real hard on track repeatedly and even then only for one short season so far.

Please keep us informed as to your situation. I suspect its peculiar to your car but in this world you can never say never....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Leak