Sponsored by:

Has anyone removed a seat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Has anyone removed a seat?

Since I am going with the 18 way but realize the buckets would be great on track days I had the idea of actually purchasing a set of buckets to swap in for track days. I was speaking to a tech rep from Atlanta and he seemed to indicate it wasn't terribly difficult to do, "just 4 bolts and the interface would be the same" he said.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this being done, or actually done it themselves?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:26 PM
kencollinsjr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-gt3-fact.html
Old 09-26-2014, 01:00 PM
jlanka
Drifting

yeah I had seen that but it looks like a lot of the good stuff has been "deleted"
Old 09-26-2014, 03:24 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Since I am going with the 18 way but realize the buckets would be great on track days I had the idea of actually purchasing a set of buckets to swap in for track days. I was speaking to a tech rep from Atlanta and he seemed to indicate it wasn't terribly difficult to do, "just 4 bolts and the interface would be the same" he said.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this being done, or actually done it themselves?
Wait until next year you will have an bucket option available through Porsche and I believe your tech source in GA summed it up correctly....when the Porsche buckets are available next year there will be a procedure to change them out available at that time. In the meantime you can put an generic track seat in if they have the specific adapters available for the 991.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:27 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will be a pain in the *** to change out repeatably for track days if the 996 sport seats are any indication from my experience.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing out the seats will be simple with the new buckets; unplug the connection under the seat and undo 4 bolts from the seat rails and reverse the procedure for the new seats...A simple DIY.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:33 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

One thing to consider... Some here may disagree, but personally I wouldn't want to be exchanging seats many times and on a regular basis as that may slowly eat up the threads on the bolts/screws and also increase risks due to under/over torquing or plain human errors during installation. The integrity of those four points is fundamental for the overall safety of the car.

Buckets will be great (far superior) for back-road driving as well.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
They will be a pain in the *** to change out repeatably for track days if the 996 sport seats are any indication from my experience.
It takes me 1/2 hour at the most to switch out both sides with the GT2 bucket seats in my Cayman R

Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
It takes me 1/2 hour at the most to switch out both sides with the GT2 bucket seats in my Cayman R

I suppose once it is routine, it will become second nature. I am working from memory when I removed my electric 996 sport seats for GT3 seats...only did it once. GT seats still installed.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:30 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by hf1
One thing to consider... Some here may disagree, but personally I wouldn't want to be exchanging seats many times and on a regular basis as that may slowly eat up the threads on the bolts/screws and also increase risks due to under/over torquing or plain human errors during installation. The integrity of those four points is fundamental for the overall safety of the car.

Buckets will be great (far superior) for back-road driving as well.
I hear you, overuse and improper torquing is certainly a concern.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I exchanged the comfort seats in my 996 for GT3 buckets, and removed the drivers bucket in my 997 to install a sub belt mounting bar. It's not particularly hard, but there are pitfalls if you cross thread a bolt or nick some part of the interior with the seat track which has some pretty sharp edges on it. Personally I wouldn't want to be swapping seats on a regular basis but it's a fairly straightforward DIY.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:57 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear you, overuse and improper torquing is certainly a concern.
Some are guys are DIY guys, some are not. I personally maintain my own race car and about to start a team car, if you have the skills but think you might miss an item, make a checklist.

If you are not comfortable for whatever reason swapping seats on your own, you can either:

1. Use a dealer or race shop.

2. Find one seat that fits all your applications, have that installed and live with it.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed a seat?