Sponsored by:

Is it possible to remove the lift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
As mike knows I have a real fear that I may not be able to get my car into my garage due to the extreme incline of the street vs the flat garage entrance... I'm concerned my car would high center on the left side. I've kind of been ignoring or putting off this issue for awhile, at times pretending I'm not concerned about it, but need to probably look at this and stop burying my head in the sand ab it. No entry into garage would mean cancelling on something I've waited on for 1+ years. Probably not a concern for anyone who doesn't live in SF.. But previous tenant in my buikding who had a tesla couldn't make it in without raising whole car to it's max setting..

If anyone is in SF with their gt3 in next week or two and wants to come over ill do something nice for them.. Can't figure out what yet but I'll start with gratitude and go from there.
Alex, very good idea. Your situation is one I would be be more concerned about as its not so simple to just take a measurement you really need a lift car to try both options out ensure the lift works for you.

One thing that is sure and that Im acutely aware of is that if I do committ to an impossible angle the damage could be more than just the lip spoiler as we have seen its fixed firm to the bumper and could damage the plastic lugs behind as it did when Sam and Max found out when they had their separate ex track excursions.

Good idea to have someone over that can try it. Remember the suspension is adjustable and I already know someone who has had their car lifted 10mm to clear their particular situation where lift was just shy of stopping the lip grinding. Its not hard at all to lift the car with your geo guy, just means adjusting the rings under the springs...you could easy find another 1/2 inch there without upsetting the dynamics noticeably on road/track...
Old 09-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

I'm still rather ambivalent about this car. Seems to have too many compromises as a street car and as a track car. Still got the order in, but if I actually drive the car home or not I can't say.

If it needs the front end lift to function as a street car, then I'm out. Or, I may drive it a while and see. The good news is - the demand still seems high, so it should be an easy sale if it's not for me.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
.....Seems to have too many compromises as a street car and as a track car.......
Ray.

I honestly couldnt think of a single statement about the new 991 GT3 that is further to the truth!

If I was to sum up in one line the new 991 GT3 (compared to my previous ownership of GT3, RS and driving experiences with later 997 GT3) I would actually narrow it down to one simple statement:

"This is the least compromised GT3 I have every driven on road and track".

Dont let all this talk about a bit of black plastic friction rubbing scare you away my mane. I can tell you for fact the car is no less practical without lift in this regard than a friends 997.2 GT3RS but its a whole more useable on the road in ALL situation especially bumpy B roads and on the track its a sublime adjustable predictable and incredibly grippy too for carving apexes with the benefit of being a far more cosseting and comfortable ride home in any conditions loaded up with wife and gear in the car...
Old 09-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I'm still rather ambivalent about this car. Seems to have too many compromises as a street car and as a track car. Still got the order in, but if I actually drive the car home or not I can't say.

If it needs the front end lift to function as a street car, then I'm out. Or, I may drive it a while and see. The good news is - the demand still seems high, so it should be an easy sale if it's not for me.
If the lift is really a deal breaker for some reason, I'd much rather put up with the grinding and whatever jockeying around in driveways I had to do rather than not get the car at all.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:13 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some of the same driveway concerns as CAlexio. I've a fairly steep non- symmetrical short driveway leading to my garage. I currently manage my Vette by doing a little swing move to get in without scraping. Would renting a 991 Carrera S for the day give me more guidance on how the GT3 will respond, or should I just stick with the lift and hope for the best?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by LAGinz
I have some of the same driveway concerns as CAlexio. I've a fairly steep non- symmetrical short driveway leading to my garage. I currently manage my Vette by entering from the left and swinging to the right. Would renting a 991 Carrera S for the day give me more guidance on how the GR3 will respond, or should I just stick with the lift and hope for the best?
The suspension of a normal Carrera S sits 20mm higher than the GT3. If you can find one with the sport chassis it will still be 10mm higher. And neither car will have the low extended splitter and deep front valence of the GT3. A Carrera S with the Aerokit might give you an idea, but it still won't be quite as low.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

I had to take the front lift off my 997.2RS when I installed Ohlin coilovers. It was an easy removal and can be re-installed easily.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

My issue wouldn't be splitter related, it would be a high center issue.. The car will probably make it in, but then potentially would get stuck half way in as the left rear wheel is still low on the street and the front of the car is in flat, with right rear wheel higher up.. I'll take a pic on mon when I'm back. I also can't approach at an angle as the garage is 77inch wide; while the gt3 is 72inches.. I'll have 2.5 inches on each side and have to enter dead straight.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

I you need a lifter by all means order one. But if you believe you will not experience scraping with a lifter I have a bridge to sell you. You could replace your front splitter every six months and still not spend $3400 during the life of the car.

Again, there are those who have special circumstances which may require a need for a lifter.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Alex, that is a "ramp break over" angle issue. Im afraid fron lift kit will almost make no difference what soever to your issue here, however manually having the car lifted would help by 05 degree or so. See comparison below between 991 GT3 and previos generation (note the height from found remains dame as 997.2 GT3/RS but brake over angle is half due to longer wheelbase).

You definitely need to try it in real life. In Italy I got caught out on the Ran Remo Rally course taking a wrong turn through a medieval village and down and impossible road I had to back out of and I was 100% sure I would grind the centre of the car but I did not...
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

It should be noted that according to the above PAG published data the "approach angle" front and rear for the 991 GT3 is actually BETTER than previous generations GT3+RS!!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:33 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Melvin Belli would be proud.

Dan (was previously persuaded on lift option by Mike's pic and comments )
Old 09-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
My issue wouldn't be splitter related, it would be a high center issue.. The car will probably make it in, but then potentially would get stuck half way in as the left rear wheel is still low on the street and the front of the car is in flat, with right rear wheel higher up.. I'll take a pic on mon when I'm back. I also can't approach at an angle as the garage is 77inch wide; while the gt3 is 72inches.. I'll have 2.5 inches on each side and have to enter dead straight.
Originally Posted by Macca
Alex, that is a "ramp break over" angle issue. Im afraid fron lift kit will almost make no difference what soever to your issue here, however manually having the car lifted would help by 05 degree or so. See comparison below between 991 GT3 and previos generation (note the height from found remains dame as 997.2 GT3/RS but brake over angle is half due to longer wheelbase).

You definitely need to try it in real life. In Italy I got caught out on the Ran Remo Rally course taking a wrong turn through a medieval village and down and impossible road I had to back out of and I was 100% sure I would grind the centre of the car but I did not...
Alex, Mark may be right about whether the lift will make a difference. I just went out and measured the clearance at the center of the driver's door with the lift lowered and then raised and the difference between the two is about 4.5 versus 5.0 inches. That 1/2" might be crucial or inconsequential; it's for sure less than the 1 1/4" you get from the lift at the front.

I haven't seen your driveway, but would it make a difference if you had a long 2x12 (or two small ones) that you could lay crossways in the the gutter in front of the driveway approach to keep the rear from dipping too low? It would be a PITA to drag it out every time, but maybe better than not being able to buy the car.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I'll check on mon and take pics.. Thanks for the input guys.. Macca, Mike.. You guys are like 24/7 encyclopedia of gt3. Have a few Porsches on my street and I've seen one guy wht an underground garage literally lift his rear right wheel almost a foot in the air as his car weights the front and enters.. Never seen him exit. Love San Francisco with all my heart, but it's definitely a tough cookie to live with.

I'm not even thinking ab the worst case scenario right now.. But intend to focus on this Monday when I get back home and post pics here for further input.

My girlfriend is sitting next to me with a bottle of $6 faux- champagne on the beach in Santa Barbara about to rip my head off if I don't get off this forum.

Peace out
Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Luck Alex. It will all work out. Enjoy your chillax time...

Quick Reply: Is it possible to remove the lift?