AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazing!
Old 09-25-2014, 04:35 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice

The inside looks like two different color lights (incandescent and LED)-- does the car have the light design package?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have the lift and have been managing fine for the last 10 months though I confess I am careful and diligent. Those that have it swear by it and those that don't claim it's not a big deal so go figure.

The clear rubber squares under the rear tail lights have poles out three times. Each time they have I took the lights out and re seated them. The adhesive they used breaks down with head and those lights get very hot when the car is running hence also why the rear led lights fog up all the time. I never used new adhesive as when cool they seemed to stick fine. The last time it happened was at the track so I simply removed them and have heard no rattles at all so they will likely remain off....
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

OP: Congrats, beautiful car. I had that color on my 40 Yr Anny 911. Love the color.

I too plan not to order the lift option. I had a ZR1, with an even lower front splitter, and I never hit anything.

Can you or anyone here with a GT3, measure the distance from the lower front spoiler/splitter to the ground. Are we talking about 3.7 inches or so? Would love to know. I could barely fit my shoe under the ZR1 front splitter...

Tks/Cheers,

B
Old 09-25-2014, 04:54 PM
OLD&INTHEWAY
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

New to forum.GT3 here in U.S. and awaiting delivery to dealer. GT Silver.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
OP: Congrats, beautiful car. I had that color on my 40 Yr Anny 911. Love the color.

I too plan not to order the lift option. I had a ZR1, with an even lower front splitter, and I never hit anything.

Can you or anyone here with a GT3, measure the distance from the lower front spoiler/splitter to the ground. Are we talking about 3.7 inches or so? Would love to know. I could barely fit my shoe under the ZR1 front splitter...

Tks/Cheers,

B
Yes approx 3.8" on my car...
Old 09-25-2014, 05:08 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

^^^ Thank you, Sir! Much appreciated!

Best/BB
Old 09-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Mainly, as you may have guessed I'm besotted with GT Silver and being on vacation with time on my hands here's a rendition of what some of us should be thinking of...or not!
Overkill of course, but viola!

Old 09-25-2014, 05:14 PM
mainly
Racer

thanks for the compliments, and if the multi-quote is too annoying, let me know, i wont do it again.

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
thanks. beautiful car. on the axle lift, where do you live? I am shocked about that part of your report. I certainly would love to save the $3400 if unneeded. on my 2011 gt3, I use it often here in Austin...
i live in northern alberta canada. where it gets to -30 in the winter. (thats Celsius) so i assure you the roads here are bad. expansion cracks everywhere, dips, holes... you name it. and the car just doesnt hit going over anything. the springs are so stiff, its like they dont compress at all, so the clearance you have when stationary seems to be there even when your going over bumps...at least this is the feeling i get.

Originally Posted by Jon70
I'm confused regarding the lift. I initially didn't spec it and have since added it based on dealer and rennlist recommendations. As mentioned, I really like to save the $3500 as well. I didn't have a lift on my 2008 RS (don't think it even was an option back then) and dld not miss it. I had a cup lip on it and would just replace it yearly for $170 or so.
like i said i really dont think youll need it. i dont crab over speed bumps, or going into parking lots, i just go straight on perpendicular.(or whatever the natural turning angle happens to be, if you get what i mean) and as long as you go slow, its fine. to the guys saying "i have the lift and use it all the time" well, of course if you have the lift youre gonna use it. but because you have it, you cant really compare to not having it right? lol.

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Congrats!

Regarding the rattle--have them check the taillights. One of mine had a thin clear silicone shim that was visible at the bottom. The tech at the dealership said it was likely there to prevent rattles from vibrations--pulled taillight out and installed it so that it was no longer visible.
i remember reading about that. but i looked close and mine didnt have those. although where the bottom of the tail lights meet the the body it looks like small grooves/notches in the tail light itself almost as if someone was prying there with something.???

Originally Posted by hfm
I lowered a 350z by about 1" to 1.5" from stock years ago, to about what I expect the GT3 will be. Every speed bump, every inclined drive way was the bane of her existence. I would have to go at crawl speed to go over pretty much anything or scrape front or bottom out.

Awhile back, I had to replace / adjust subframe and the aggressive springs had to go as the new height caused wear on tire from the wheel well. Stock springs went back on and I'm so much happier. The car doesn't handle as well, it has more dive and isn't as flat on sharp cornering with the stock springs but, god it's so much better on the ride.

The point is, for me at least, if you at all plan to daily drive, I can't imagine not having this option for those spots you know you're better off pressing a button. But, to each his own.

Dan (thinks lift was the single most useful/valuable option especially compared to LED or leather behind rear seat that he got )
man i dont see how you can compare the gt3 to a 350z. of course that car is going to bottom out. whats it 1/5 the cost of a gt3? the gt3 has no dive. none. i think thats why it doesnt hit over bumps. unless youre coming up to a steep parkade that goes from , lets say 0 degrees to 30 degrees instantly, i dont think anyone needs the lift.

Originally Posted by Jon70
Thanks all on the lift info. I'll keep it.

Great looking GT silver car and glad you are enjoying it.
thanks alot. of course thats up to you. believe me when i first looked at my car inside the dealership and saw the long overhang and how low the front lip was, i was scared, and dreading taking it out. but no matter what, the springs just dont seem to compress enough to allow the front end to drop enough to scrape. i think porsche probably engineered it this way. afterall, if they were to release a road car and everyone who didnt order a $3500 lift kit was complaining every time they bottomed out, they would have a lot of unhappy customers on their hands. sure the guys who chime in who have the lift say they use it everyday.. well duh, of course you use it if you have it. but if the ones who didnt get it were to chime in, would they say they havent needed it? i think so.

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I use the lift every day. I guess it depends where you drive, but having the lift for driveway curbs and speed bumps is definitely an improvement from going sideways over these items and pissing people off.

Congrats on the GT Silver - beautiful. Love the interior shots, you should sell them to Porsche!
haha see above. you dont need to go sideways over anything, or **** anyone off. but thanks.

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Sam should know!!!!! I think he has had the pedal to the floor more than most on RL.
hmm, ill have to try it again. but i was sure i was in full auto mode, in 4th gear at 4000 rpm and it just stayed in 4th when i floored it.???

Originally Posted by MMbtu
Can you post more pics? I am picking up my GT Silver at the factory in a couple of weeks and I need something to tide me over.
sure ill get some more today. i wasnt going to bother to post at all, but i can see now that some people like seeing people pics as much as i do, so glad i did.

Originally Posted by 911dev
Love the color, big congrats!

GT Silver is my close second choice. Sticking with white thus far; order locks in about 45 days.

Very good to hear about the lift. As stated a kazillion times I am not specing it either. Numerous 991 gt3 owners skipped and have no problem. I never did with my .2 either and lived in very hilly states, NY and GA, with spanning drives throughout a lot of changing terrain.

Again, beautiful car!!
thanks alot. again, i think people are just misguided when it comes to the lift. they hear from guys who have it and swear by it, but most of them probably dont have 2 991 gt3's - one with the lift, and one without to compare, so how can they be SURE they even needed it?. with me, i dont have it, so i think my testimony is more valid since im in the worst of the two positions (front end height-wise, lol) of course im sure they could test it by just not engaging the lift? not sure if this would be identical to a car that doesnt have it? how much weight does the lift add to the front end? either way, whatever it is, i dont have it. lol.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Absolutely gorgeous car, mainly! To follow up on a couple of your questions/comments:

Headlight washers are standard with all headlight types.

ah, thanks. could have sworn on the porsche.ca build website it was a cost option (this was in august of last year)

I disabled the exhaust flaps and noticed a slight decrease in low end torque due to the decreased backpressure at low rpm. I think that's one reason why Porsche designed the system the way they did. Whether you disconnect the electronics or plug the vacuum lines to disable the flaps it's an easy mod to reverse if you don't like the result. I did a thread on the vacuum line mod so you can do a search and get the info on that if you want, or PM me.

On the rattling, check the license plate frame that came from the dealer, if you got one. Mine rattled with engine vibration before I removed it. Shot in the dark....

I won't get into the how long to break it in debate, but the new engines were run in for 15-20 minutes at the factory, and briefly after installation so they haven't really been broken-in by any normal standard. There's a lot of misinformation about that, even from dealers. Just FYI....

yeah they said they ran them in at redline for 10 minutes??? regardless, i havent gone to 9000 yet. but idont think im gonna be waiting till 2000 miles. maybe 1000. but after that . to hell with it.

I use the lift every day...glad not getting it is working out for you.

Edit: PDK-S will only kick down in regular auto mode. Of course in either auto mode you can override with the paddles at any time to select a gear manually, say, when you want to smoke an m5.

Enjoy the car!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:26 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by Haku
Mainly, as you may have guessed I'm besotted with GT Silver and being on vacation with time on my hands here's a rendition of what some of us should be thinking of...or not!
Overkill of course, but viola!

haha reminds me of the first car i owned. a 1999 ford explorer. navy green, with almost that exact decal. those were not good times.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
hmm, ill have to try it again. but i was sure i was in full auto mode, in 4th gear at 4000 rpm and it just stayed in 4th when i floored it.???

ah, thanks. could have sworn on the porsche.ca build website it was a cost option (this was in august of last year)
Since I rarely use auto mode at all I went out this morning to confirm the no kickdown in auto/PDK sport. I couldn't get it to kickdown in any situation that I tried. It is , however, very eager to downshift on it's own when rpm's start to drop out of the power band.

Re: the washers, if you want body color painted nozzles they're an extra cost option. But the washer system itself and chrome nozzles are standard.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:28 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

man i dont see how you can compare the gt3 to a 350z. of course that car is going to bottom out. whats it 1/5 the cost of a gt3? the gt3 has no dive. none. i think thats why it doesnt hit over bumps. unless youre coming up to a steep parkade that goes from , lets say 0 degrees to 30 degrees instantly, i dont think anyone needs the lift.
But, but, the Z is the same color as your GT3....

Dan (wishes mainly, a fellow Canuck, luck with no lift and remembers crappy sand/salt snow/ice covered roads in Winnipeg)
Old 09-25-2014, 05:32 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Nice

The inside looks like two different color lights (incandescent and LED)-- does the car have the light design package?
no, thats probably changes in the way i edited the pics maybe? plus the exposure was brought up by about 3-4 stops in lightroom, so there may have been some varience in the color. .

the only options i have are gt silver, sport chrono, navi, and full leather. full leather a must have btw, if you asked me. so much alcantara and leather is added!! ill take some pics to highlight the leather coverage, for anyone might not know.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

haha reminds me of the first car i owned. a 1999 ford explorer. navy green, with almost that exact decal. those were not good times.
hehehe.... I showed my photoshop file to my wife and she was not amused!
I guess thats the end of that!!!! It's perfect "clean"!

Mine has entered the body shop!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:35 PM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by hfm
But, but, the Z is the same color as your GT3....

Dan (wishes mainly, a fellow Canuck, luck with no lift and remembers crappy sand/salt snow/ice covered roads in Winnipeg)
haha .thanks. dont remind me, its still +20 deg. here.

eww, winnipeg... just kidding, never been there.

Quick Reply: gt3 arrived, pics... (ADDS)