Painting the calipers???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
Aren't the lines braided? If so, can you crimp them? Isn't there a different procedure?
If you place a broom handle or similar between the brake pedal and seat (so that the pedal is slightly depressed) then the fluid will not flow when the caliper is removed.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:10 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my 964 turbo calipers re painted red because the previous goofball owner had them painted red with black where sticker says "porsche". Anywho...I have tracked that car several times with no blistering or change of color so not saying it can't happen but it could be prep issues that causes that not the painting itself.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I had my 964 turbo calipers re painted red because the previous goofball owner had them painted red with black where sticker says "porsche". Anywho...I have tracked that car several times with no blistering or change of color so not saying it can't happen but it could be prep issues that causes that not the painting itself.
I would think Brembo would prep the calipers pretty well on original manufacturing - and all cars that have OEM Brembo brakes suffer from this discoloration issue if you track the car hard enough with track tires and pads (but hard to notice on Black calipers). You'll notice this if you walk around the paddock at a track that works the brakes pretty hard - just look at all the Porsche's, STI's, EVO's, and other Brembo-supplied cars with discolored calipers. At my last outing a 997 GT3 with PCCB's had burnt orange calipers.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 157 Likes on 81 Posts

You know what...I have no idea. The car is expected in December so I have not had the opportunity to get too familiar with it. Forgive my ignorance but I am wrong to assume that such a tool would be located in the boot of the car? I have to buy this tool for the center locks?
There's a special socket for the center locks located in the battery compartment area of the frunk. But there are other tools (not included with the car) and special procedures that are required to remove the wheels. This has been posted about many times; the most recent thread about it is below. Read through it to get a feel for what's involved; the process is much more complicated than removing a typical 5 lug wheel.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...onversion.html
Old 09-25-2014, 04:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Aren't the lines braided? If so, can you crimp them? Isn't there a different procedure?
Here's a pic of the brake line courtesy of Elephant racing. They have a wire mesh on them but room in between to pinch and rubber underneath. I've been doing it this way in many cars and it was fine,but since I haven't in this car,I can't guarantee 100%.

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 PM
991RDC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Pay your dealer to remove calipers and ask them who they use....this is probably the single most popular modification done with most Porsche owners that don't currently already get red/yellow calipers from Porsche. I suggest you sent to a certified Porsche body shop (certainly not required or outside scope of most bodyshops) because they have probably already done hundreds of them. It takes a skilled technician to apply the decal straight and use proper color as silly as that sounds. Devil is in the details
+1.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:07 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by deutschmick
OK, just so you know, I'm not trying to be a jerk.

Why do you want to do this?
Not to be a jerk either...

So I can paint them.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There's a special socket for the center locks located in the battery compartment area of the frunk. But there are other tools (not included with the car) and special procedures that are required to remove the wheels. This has been posted about many times; the most recent thread about it is below. Read through it to get a feel for what's involved; the process is much more complicated than removing a typical 5 lug wheel.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...onversion.html
Thank you very much Mike

Quick Reply: Painting the calipers???