Sponsored by:

Launch control

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Kamal, I was thinking about this after I shut off my computer last night. With regular PDK in my 997.2S 7th gear WAS locked out in sport plus mode and that fact was referenced in the manual. You couldn't even select 7th manually when the sport plus button was pushed. Of course because of the taller gearing with PDK top speed can't be achieved in 7th either. I suspect your sales guy might be confusing this feature of PDK with PDK-S, where 7th is required for top speed. There's no mention of a 7th gear lockout in the GT3 manual. Obviously 7th gear can be engaged in auto mode per Zulu Alpha's video and I bet it can be selected in manual/ PDK sport mode too. Shouldn't need super high speed to try that out.....
Mike, can you kindly give us a test and report back that PDK-S can select 7th gear while sport mode is on manual or auto mode please?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Mike, can you kindly give us a test and report back that PDK-S can select 7th gear while sport mode is on manual or auto mode please?
Zulu, confirmed. In manual mode, with PDK sport selected, you can engage 7th gear. This was not possible with PDK in the 997.2 in sport plus mode.

In auto mode, the gearbox really wants to stay in a lower gear. Using very gentle throttle I finally got it to upshift to 5th but at that point I was doing uhhh.....somewhat faster...... than the limit on the country roads around my house so I had to call off the test in the interest of public safety and my license. I'd bet anything though, that 7th is available in PDK sport auto mode. You just need some open road and speed to get there.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 09-24-2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-24-2014, 09:10 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
All you need is to place the car in drive then push hard on the brakes using your left foot and don't let go, then with your right foot push the gas pedal all the way to the ground. A message will appear shortly indicating you have activated launch control. Immediately after you see this messag, release the brakes completely and enjoy the ride. Make sure both of your hands are grabbing the steering wheel during the launch to make sure you don't go off course. Most launches fail when you don't press on brakes hard enough and allowing the car to move a little as you floor the gas peddle, or if you don't hold gas pedal to the floor.

You can also experiment by engaging the sport botton before initiating the above process and also trying to disengage the Traction control as it will give you more wheel spin. These are just couple of other options to try while experimenting with launch control, but the standard procedure is just stumping on the braking then flooring the gas pedal then releasing the brake pedal after you see the launch control message. That's it.

One final option is instead of using the brakes, engage neutral by pulling on both paddle shifters simultaneously then floor the gas pedal then after rpm settles release the paddle Shifters and enjoy the ride. Please note that when you pull on both paddle shifters the gear # selected which is in this case #1 will flash in your instrument display indicating that you are indeed in neutral.

Since this is your first time, try to do this in a deserted street or parking lot and be safe. Good luck and have fun. Mark
Thanks a lot for your reply Mark! :thumb up:
Hopefully I will find a nice deserted road soon to try this out.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Zulu, confirmed. In manual mode, with PDK sport selected, you can engage 7th gear. This was not possible with PDK in the 997.2 in sport plus mode.

In auto mode, the gearbox really wants to stay in a lower gear. Using very gentle throttle I finally got it to upshift to 5th but at that point I was doing uhhh.....somewhat faster...... than the limit on the country roads around my house so I had to call off the test in the interest of public safety and my license. I'd bet anything though, that 7th is available in PDK sport auto mode. You just need some open road and speed to get there.
Awesome, thanks Mike Hope you had fun. I can't wait to try this out
Old 12-22-2014, 12:35 AM
mainly
Racer

After having seen the vid of the TT being launched 50+ times in succession, and reading the reports of Porsche testing the GT3 with 500 launches and no problems I'm not too afraid of the mechanical issues.

The way I see it, if I'm going to do a launch control start I'd like to let it run out at least 3 gears so you're talking triple digit speed. I haven't been anywhere yet with the car where I'd feel safe doing that from a standing start!

you dont need to go through 3 gears. you dont even need to go through 1 gear. you can abort it anytime you wish.

its the launch itself thats the most fun part anyway, after that its just acceleration as normal. i did it on a stretch of road about half a block long. just to show somebody how cool it was...

theres nothing to it.

just do it.

why not?
its probably the most fun part of the car!

only remember if your in manual mode the launch control will still work but it wont shift for you. if you want to carry on up through the gears without shifting yourself, then be in auto mode.

otherwise, launch it daily. it wont hurt anything. just dont do it in the rain. lol.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:38 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by 991GT3
Thanks a lot for your reply Mark! :thumb up:
Hopefully I will find a nice deserted road soon to try this out.
lol. why do you need a deserted road?

you just need to have about 3 seconds when there are no cars in the immediate vicinity.

its not like your launching a fighter jet here . lol

its no different then if you were to punch the gas from a standstill.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:12 AM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by silverrules
Maybe when in driving school with their car
Is there a GT3 specific driving school? Or for that matter, are there any Porsche organized events for GT3 owners (I don't mean regularly scheduled PCA regional ones)?

Sorry off topic in this thread...
Old 12-22-2014, 08:39 AM
jimmermd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Events like this are available for straight acceleration:
http://ecta-lsr.net/?page_id=950

Events like this are available for prolonged high speed:
http://www.silverstateclassic.com
Old 12-22-2014, 10:24 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

4 pages into this and 991 GT3 folks are still just talking about.... not actually experiencing first hand.... "their" launch control?

Just do it!!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I launched the other day it was like Pearl Harbor
Old 08-02-2020, 03:47 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Reviving Launch Control thread.

Owned the .1 GT3 for years and never tried it. Test drove the BMW M8 today and felt quick...nothing like a Turbo S tho. Wondered if the GT3 could launch as hard as the 617 hp AWD boat so I went out and did some launch controls in the GT3 for the first time. Operating is simple, but getting the car not to spin the tires using LC seems rather impossible on the street.

As someone with over one thousand airstrip passes, I have done this with other cars so I aired down the Cup 2's. Started at 30, then dropped to 26 then 23. Found a warm blacktop with the sun beating down. Nothing worked. Dropping the clutches at 6,500 rpm is stupid unless a prepped dragstrip maybe. It just spins.

In the Turbo S I can change the LC rpm on the stalk with aftermarket PDK TCU tuning. Hoped that Porsche programmed this in the GT3 PDK-S but nope. Was trying to see if one of the Porsche engineers was smart enough to program a way to lower down to maybe 3,500 or 4,500 but I couldn't figure anything out on my own.

Anyone know a way to lower LC rpm? The best way to launch the car was old fashion brake boosting...although could only get around 2,000 rpm before the car would abort.

Figure I will try something else - perhaps mash the gas for launch control and during the spilt-second that the car is building revs to 6,500, let the left foot off the brake around 4,000 before it even gets to 6,500. Maybe that will work. Clearly this isn't a drag car but would be nice for Launch Control to actually allow for an optimal launch.

Last edited by longboarder; 08-02-2020 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 08-02-2020, 04:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I think the Manual has its LC set at 5k rpm. I launched the .2GT3 PDK several times at Porsche in Leipzig and it hooked up great (I had been lapping their track first, so tires were hot). I was frankly shocked at how hard it launches.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:10 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

my .2 gt3 grips perfectly with no wheelspin using launch control. just need to drive around for 15 or so minutes prior to warm up the tires. warm temps around 30/33 and it just hooks. running fresh cup 2 N1s. even with 7000 mile worn cup 2s prior to changing them out, it gripped pretty well barley any wheelspin
Old 08-02-2020, 08:19 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

How old are the tires? How's the road conditions? Never had a problem with spinning wheels with fresh tires. Only when worn or heat cycled out.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:29 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 149 Posts

Anyone with a 6MT done launch control yet? Bonus points if you’ve done it while also using the no lift shift. I’m too chicken to do both.

Quick Reply: Launch control