Sponsored by:

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:26 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Yesterday I went to drive my GT3 but I noticed a puddle of coolant under front fender (driver side). It was a relatively small leak but nevertheless very visible and it has sprayed on the front tires and fender liner. The car was towed to Porsche dealer this morning and I will keep you posted of their findings.
My guess is that a leftover small rock from prior to installing the wheel mesh caught the edg of the fan and got flung into the radiator. I did notice the fan making a ticking noise on couple of occasions and did indeed today notice couple of small rocks present next to fan blade. I honestly think the delear never cleaned out the fan/radiator cavity when they installed the wheel mesh and eventually one of these trapped rocks that was left behind, did the honors. If you think your car still have some rocks trapped in that cavity please remove them before they damage your radiator.

However I will confirm my findings after the dealer inspects the car and let me know what happened. Mark
Old 09-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, Mark. I hope your issue is resolved quickly. Keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

I think your investigation and conclusion is probably correct.

I am still annoyed that they forgot this part for this car
Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't hold to much faith in the screens, already know someone who had a puncture in the rad even with the screens, rock went right through screen.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:07 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaypod
I wouldn't hold to much faith in the screens, already know someone who had a puncture in the rad even with the screens, rock went right through screen.
This was the first thing that went through my mind, but I did inspect the screen, and it was in ment condition. Mark
Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

^

I think you misunderstood. The rock may have been small enough to pass right thru the screen.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:00 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, this stinks. Hopefully all good soon.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:27 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Just got off the phone with the Porsche service manager and they did discover 2 medium sized rocks inside the radiator/fan cavity, and both rocks by the way were much larger than the mesh size. It appears they have struck the radiator several times befor leaving one small pin hole where the leak is coming from. Th parts were ordered this afternoon and they are giving me a confirmed ETA tomorrow morning, but they are expecting the parts to be here late tomorrow afternoon, and the car should be done on Wednesday morning. Will try to snap some pictures of the punctured radiator and the 2 rocks when I pick up my car. They promised to save them for me.

I suspect not many delearship inspected the cavity before performing the wheel mesh recall, and it might be a good idea that you inspect the cavity and make sure it is free from any rocks and especially if you are panning a long trip away from home, so you are not stranded. Mark
Old 09-22-2014, 10:00 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to see the quick recovery. Other car mfg's wouldn't cover this under warranty or give you hassle, ha?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silverrules
Glad to see the quick recovery. Other car mfg's wouldn't cover this under warranty or give you hassle, ha?
Hi Silver..... It has been suggested they are covering it, but I am not 100% sure. I will find out when I pick up my car. I will let you know. Mark
Old 09-23-2014, 07:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Its a GT3 thing, it happens. Curious what a 991 radiator costs, the 997's where pretty cheap. Even a small off can crack a radiator or 3.

Race shops replace them every 100 track days or so because they will just start leaking around the sides anyway. Hopefully the 991's are better.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:36 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

I just got a confirmation the parts will be at the dealership tomorrow AM and the plan is to still finish the car tomorrow, but in the afternoon instead of the morning. Mark
Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Picked up the car this afternoon. They installed a new radiator free of charge, and removed over 2 dozen rocks hiding in the cavity behind the wheel mesh. The radiator had so many dings, as if it was placed in a rock blaster. Not pretty at all.
Car felt really good after I got it. Only thing I noticed was the reduction of oil pressure at red line. I have been keeping an eye on my oil pressure after someone posted they are getting roughly 76 psi reading at red line. before changing the radiator I was getting consistently 73 to 75 psi at red line, but today I have noticed the oil pressure dropped to 66 psi maximum no matter how many times I tried. I doubt it has anything to do with the radiator replacement, and possibly due to lower ambient as today the temperature was around 66 F versus 74 F last week. Not really sure why. Just guessing. Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 09-25-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:01 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Picked up the car this afternoon. They installed a new radiator free of charge, and removed over 2 dozen rocks hiding in the cavity behind the wheel mesh. The radiator had so many dings, as if it was placed in a rocket blaster. Not pretty at all.
Car felt really good after I got it. Only thing I noticed was the reduction of oil pressure at red line. I have been keeping an eye on my oil pressure after someone posted they are getting roughly 76 psi reading at red line. before changing the radiator I was getting consistently 73 to 75 psi at red line, but today I have noticed the oil pressure dropped to 66 psi maximum no matter how many times I tried. I doubt it has anything to do with the radiator replacement, and possibly due to lower ambient as today the temperature was around 66 F versus 74 F last week. Not really sure why. Just guessing. Mark
Awesome. Glad all is OK Mark!

Quick Reply: Coolant leak