Sponsored by:

Must read GT3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

I will say this- because I can and have the 991 GT3

Manifold's assessment on his posted thread is correct. The car is tame and quite easy to drive below 5500

But- I said this in my initial review. This car has two personalities, a ying and a yang, or a Jekyll and Hyde. It is very different from my R8 V20 or 997.2 Turbo. You decide what personality shows up.

Drive it below 5500 tpm around town and it is like driving a nice coupe that still looks like a race car. You start winding this thing up and you are in a whole different Galaxy

I agree with Manifold's review for what he tapped/ he just did not get a chance to visit the yang
Old 09-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,790 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

Manifold's assessment on his posted thread is correct. The car is tame and quite easy to drive below 5500

But- I said this in my initial review. This car has two personalities, a ying and a yang, or a Jekyll and Hyde. It is very different from my R8 V20 or 997.2 Turbo. You decide what personality shows up.

Drive it below 5500 tpm around town and it is like driving a nice coupe that still looks like a race car. You start winding this thing up and you are in a whole different Galaxy

I agree with Manifold's review for what he tapped/ he just did not get a chance to visit the yang
I look forward to experiencing the yang, and thanks for confirming that my impression so far makes sense.

The combo of two personalities is not at all a bad thing, depending on one's needs and wants. If I was limited to one car, I'd seriously consider the 991 GT3. The concept of comfortably cruising around town and to/from the track, while blasting away at the track, has appeal. And as I noted, if I can find a '14 stripper with branded title at deep discount, I'm likely to give it a go.

(BTW, it's telling that when I had it in PDK normal auto mode, and taking it easy at 40 to 45 mph, the car was in 7th gear.)
Old 09-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

I have yet to drive this car in auto. Manual only for me
Old 09-22-2014, 07:32 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's really not much different from a .2 GT3.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,790 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
It's really not much different from a .2 GT3.
Hmm, have you driven both?

My experience/opinion is that the lowly 997.1 C2S is more engaging than the 991 GT3 when cruising around town within 1.6x speed limits. Torque comes in at lower revs, louder at lower revs, I enjoy the manual, and prominent 911 dynamics at pretty much all speeds.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^He may be referring to the dual personality aspect. I can not comment because I have never driven a .2 GT3.

But- My R8 V10 was also easy around town and equal to enjoyment at low revs. Can argue may be even more fun because of the gated manual which is one of the best. But, when you wind them up the GT3 is so much more fun from a rawness factor; more menacing exhaust, and the power band width from the GT3 the R8 can not match. Yes - the R8 was smooth and very linear. But the GT3 is just a whole different experience that one has to have driven both to understand what I am trying to convey
Old 09-22-2014, 08:09 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

U
^He may be referring to the dual personality aspect. I can not comment because I have never driven a .2 GT3.

But- My R8 V10 was also easy around town and equal to enjoyment at low revs. Can argue may be even more fun because of the gated manual which is one of the best. But, when you wind them up the GT3 is so much more fun from a rawness factor; more menacing exhaust, and the power band width from the GT3 the R8 can not match. Yes - the R8 was smooth and very linear. But the GT3 is just a whole different experience that one has to have driven both to understand what I am trying to convey
I am referring to the dual personality. Owned a .2 for four years. Have not driven a 991 3. The car's DNA suggests it would've been very similar to the .2; although likely a little bit more refined at slow speeds. End of the day, I'll bet they have similar characteristics.

Quick Reply: Must read GT3 Review