Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 07:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

I
Originally Posted by GoHardGT3RS
What kind of iPhone fixing/mount do you guys use? I am looking for the right solution to fix my iPhone for the videos of the app not on the windshield but on the roll bar in order to film also the cabin.
I use a Rammount with a suction cup.

If you want a video of the cabin, you will need one with an X-Grip, like this one, to mount on your rollbar.
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN7-400U
Old 10-27-2015, 12:00 AM
nbrown69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Yes, you may want to delete the app and do a fresh download / install.
This is what I had to do a few weeks ago. I recommend that before you reinstall you save your data by exporting it from the Records Management page and selecting "Porsche Track Prevision App" and send it to yourself via email. You can then open the attachment after you reinstall the app. This app does not seem to save its data in iCloud so you will lose the data otherwise. Also, remember to export any tracks.

2015 GT3 Sapphire Blue Metallic / 2013 Cayenne Turbo Meteor Grey Metallic
Old 10-28-2015, 10:42 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

New software update has fixed the problem.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:30 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone have more recent experience with the app? I'm up at Thunderhill today and think I might try it out and I'm looking for any tips. I *think* I should define a new map and, using the map editor, mark the start/stop line, then simply press the Start button and drive.

I tried this at home and it seemed to work ok but, of course, with no video since I wasn't on a known track.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:22 PM
s2ml
4th Gear

Originally Posted by FergusH
I tried this at home and it seemed to work ok but, of course, with no video since I wasn't on a known track.
Hello FergusH,

Video logging on an unknown track worked for me. But there weren't any live screens.

Maybe you forgot to enable "Video" in the video settings within the app?
Old 01-09-2016, 10:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ml
Hello FergusH,

Video logging on an unknown track worked for me. But there weren't any live screens.

Maybe you forgot to enable "Video" in the video settings within the app?
There are no live scenes on a user- added track.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:28 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
There are no live scenes on a user- added track.
What does a live scene look like?

When I was driving, I did see a lap time on the left side of the screen, showing a comparison with the last lap (or perhaps the fastest lap) but nothing else other than a stop button on the right side. Does the live screen look like this:

https://goo.gl/Ya7T79

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:37 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have more recent experience with the app? I'm up at Thunderhill today and think I might try it out and I'm looking for any tips. I *think* I should define a new map and, using the map editor, mark the start/stop line, then simply press the Start button and drive.

So, the app kinda, sorta worked in a "other than that Mrs Lincoln"-way. The short version is that I recorded two sessions but the second one somehow got deleted. I think that's the same experience that other people have had. It's a bummer because in some ways the app is great and is simpler than dealing with Harry's Laptimer. Here's a lap from the first session:

Be gentle: it was only my fourth day ever on a track and the first in a new car. I'm looking forward to getting back there when there's no rain.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:11 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

4th day ever on a track?? How many days were at Thunderhill? Your line looks pretty good, especially for driving so slow in the rain!

So, the app kinda, sorta worked in a "other than that Mrs Lincoln"-way. The short version is that I recorded two sessions but the second one somehow got deleted. I think that's the same experience that other people have had. It's a bummer because in some ways the app is great and is simpler than dealing with Harry's Laptimer. Here's a lap from the first session:

Cayman at wet Thunderhill CCW w/Cyclone, 1/9/2016 - YouTube

Be gentle: it was only my fourth day ever on a track and the first in a new car. I'm looking forward to getting back there when there's no rain.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:16 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
4th day ever on a track?? How many days were at Thunderhill? Your line looks pretty good, especially for driving so slow in the rain!
Yes, forth day was yesterday in the rain. The other three days were also at Thunderhill. I like the relative lack of walls at Thunderhill!
Old 04-24-2017, 05:41 AM
charlduplessis
Cruisin'

Good day everyone,

I have a 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS 991.1 with Armytrix™ valvetronic exhaust that I would like to take to a track day. I checked out the Porsche Precision Track app for iOS and it looks amazing, just disappointed that it only works with the GT4, GT3, GT3RS and newer models with Porsche Connect.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if the wifi connection the app needs to work with the Porsche can be retrofitted to my GTS 991.1?

2. Has anyone checked if the Porsche Precision Track app works with an OBD-II wifi transmitter. Something like this product ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-WiFi-...-/111802076792

The idea here being that you plug the the wifi-dongle into the OBD-II port of the vehicle and then link the Porsche Precision Track app with it via wifi.

Would that work?

Thanks for any advice and feedback.

Regards.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by charlduplessis

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if the wifi connection the app needs to work with the Porsche can be retrofitted to my GTS 991.1?

2. Has anyone checked if the Porsche Precision Track app works with an OBD-II wifi transmitter. Something like this product ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-WiFi-...-/111802076792

The idea here being that you plug the the wifi-dongle into the OBD-II port of the vehicle and then link the Porsche Precision Track app with it via wifi.

Would that work?
Suncoast has a retrofit kit but it's only for GT cars. You might want to check with them to see if something is available for your car.

The OBD-II wifi transmitter will not work for the app. It would work with Harry's lap timer or similar type app. For the Porsche app, it needs to connect to the PCM since it's using the GPS in the car and not the phone. An OBD reader would not provide a GPS signal.

Take a look at the AIM smart cam, it can read the CAN bus from the car and provide a similar data/video output.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:14 AM
charlduplessis
Cruisin'

Morning Todd B,

thanks for the detailed reply. Makes complete sense. I'm gonna test Harry's Laptimer app this week.

Cheers.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:40 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by charlduplessis
Morning Todd B,

thanks for the detailed reply. Makes complete sense. I'm gonna test Harry's Laptimer app this week.

Cheers.
How did that work?
Old 06-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Kotten
2nd Gear

Is it possible to export the video with full resolution and with overlay?

The reason i ask is that the Movie itself is on my Android device with full hd resolution, but when you export the video WITH overlay the reolution is restricted to the resolution of my screen on my Android device.

Has someone been able to get the overlay afterwards and add it into the full HD video?
I have found the video on the phone with full HD and without the overlay

Is it possible to use a gopro for example and add the overlay? I have Heard about a program called RaceRender, can that be used for my job?

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App