Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Test Drive (Disappointed)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes, if not most of the time, practicality plays a role on how we make our decisions or how it affects our judgment. People will believe what they want to believe in, it comes down to what is convenient for them.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Frayed, FYI, you still have a 6GT3 pic in your sig.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:01 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Frayed, FYI, you still have a 6GT3 pic in your sig.
Hey man, it was my first true love.

And this one doesn't stalk me on facebook.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I don't think the OP is too far afield. Perhaps it is appropriate to remind folks of all the early reviews. Those reviews had much acclaim for the GT3 and praised and loved the car, but at the same time felt the steering feedback was a bit behind the 7 RS, the rough, chuntering (I think Chris Harris' word) idle of the metzger was gone, and of course, lack of a manual very notably changed how you interact with the car.

I don't think anyone will argue it's a complete win in every category over the old.

But as an overall package it's a huge step up IMO. I've had the 7 GT3 and this car doesn't make me miss it. But I fully get why some would want the less refined, less tech driven, slower/older car. In some ways it has some charisma that has been removed from the new car.

The girl next door who's a 7, a bit moody, but a blast to be around, or the knockout supermodel who makes your eyes roll back into your head every time you redline her?
Call me crazy but I'm going with the supermodel! I love it when my eyes roll back into my head!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Steve1788
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Underwhelmed was exactly how I felt when I first drove home my GT3 (kept under 5000rpm of course). I was thinking..shoot...why did this car get all the great reviews. And what have I done....I traded away my 991s plus a good chunk of change for another variant of 991 with a huge wing. I even hated the wing because I couldn't see shxx out of the rear view mirror. Fast forward a few weeks into the ownership and pushing past 5000 rpm(but still kept it under 7500), man I am in love with this car. I love the way it drives, the way this car looks and sounds. Can't wait until I push it to 9000!!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

It's all the matter of how you plan to use the car. I drive mine 6 days a week, almost every week. 5 days to work and 1 to track.

On a drive to work, it's a nice to be in car that puts smile on my face. It's comfortable enough and nice to look at inside and outside.

BUT it's also so balanced and precise that I can also do tiny powerslides even without breaking speed limit or going out of my lane when I need a bit of pulse-raising; I enjoy how the engine jumps to 7K-8K RPM in an instant, as if it does not have any inertia; I love being able to turn on spine-tingling soundtrack that no hi-fi speakers can reproduce; I love being able to pull over 1g on a left turn and place my tires exactly on that crack in the pavement that I aimed for. I enjoy this car on a daily drive without going warp-speed, but it's more of enjoyment of drawing a perfect line on a sheet of paper, rather than that of skydiving.

Then, one day a week on a track, I just go and do stuff that most normal people would think is not possible - actually, that I did not think was possible, until I got this car. And I never feel like the car is the limiting factor. It gives me as much as my ability and ***** allow.

So for my use-case it's pretty much perfect.

However, I am thinking about getting a slow, sloppy-handling, manual car that would make daily commute a challenge, so even for me there is a space GT3 does not fill.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

This thread will single-handedly be responsible for supply of new gt3's to be more than the demand as people get of their car waiting list spots in droves
Old 09-20-2014, 07:41 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This thread will single-handedly be responsible for supply of new gt3's to be more than the demand as people get of their car waiting list spots in droves
If people cancel there orders because of this thread....I have no idea what they were smoking when 24 hours earlier it was the greatest thing since sliced bread? I might buy a second car in a different color since I was torn to begin with. I feel like I'm reading a 964 thread in 1989?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:44 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It's all the matter of how you plan to use the car. I drive mine 6 days a week, almost every week. 5 days to work and 1 to track.

On a drive to work, it's a nice to be in car that puts smile on my face. It's comfortable enough and nice to look at inside and outside.

BUT it's also so balanced and precise that I can also do tiny powerslides even without breaking speed limit or going out of my lane when I need a bit of pulse-raising; I enjoy how the engine jumps to 7K-8K RPM in an instant, as if it does not have any inertia; I love being able to turn on spine-tingling soundtrack that no hi-fi speakers can reproduce; I love being able to pull over 1g on a left turn and place my tires exactly on that crack in the pavement that I aimed for. I enjoy this car on a daily drive without going warp-speed, but it's more of enjoyment of drawing a perfect line on a sheet of paper, rather than that of skydiving.

Then, one day a week on a track, I just go and do stuff that most normal people would think is not possible - actually, that I did not think was possible, until I got this car. And I never feel like the car is the limiting factor. It gives me as much as my ability and ***** allow.

However, I am thinking about getting a slow, sloppy-handling, manual car that would make daily commute a challenge, so even for me there is a space GT3 does not fill.

Max, you are the man! You just talked me down off the ledge . GT3 it is, to start off the new year!!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:45 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
If people cancel there orders because of this thread....I have no idea what they were smoking when 24 hours earlier it was the greatest thing since sliced bread? I might buy a second car in a different color since I was torn to begin with. I feel like I'm reading a 964 thread in 1989?
Probably smoking synthetic weed rather than real cannabis.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:48 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

That sums up the motivation for me. Cheers
Old 09-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Just cancelled mine, and saved 153k(:
Old 09-20-2014, 07:53 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Maverick787
So you have an older variant GT3 ?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:54 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
It just so happens I have a piece of beautiful swampland in Florida I would sell for that same amount? You in?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:58 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sccchiii
It just so happens I have a piece of beautiful swampland in Florida I would sell for that same amount? You in?
This thread is getting silly. New GT3 under 5k rpm no fun...time to cancel order....
Let's remind ourselves...

Quick Reply: Road Test Drive (Disappointed)