Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Test Drive (Disappointed)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Manifold, I concur. I had a chance to test drive a fully broken in car, and came back underwhelmed. In fact, that's the exact word I used myself. I will say that you need to experience the car from 7-9k RPMs to feel it come alive, and while this is a unique and great experience, it wasn't enough to make me fall in love with the car. For me, the 991 is just too big and comfy. I still have hopes that the next RS will offer a significantly more raw and visceral experience. For a DD, the 991 GT3 is great. But my 3.8L Boxter Spyder is intensely more rewarding on the street.

I obsessed over the 991 GT3 for a year+, but after the test drive I walked away from my Cat B build :-/

Last edited by Hoopumpers; 09-20-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

One point I would make is I've noticed new cars are so capable and fast that you really need to push'em to get a feel of what they're capable and what they'll do at the limit of traction.
Look at the 1 mil cars out there(918,P1,LaFerrari). Every reviewer states they are great and comfortable on the road at city speed limits. That wasn't the case with old supercars. The trend is the same with today's sport cars : make them comfortable and efficient enough to be used on a daily basis and completely transform the package at the push of a button.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:56 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Manifold....I appreciate your non sugar coated perspective. We all need to get a different perspective and we can read all day long on RL about how "great" the car is, but we probably don't talk about the negatives enough to get a real sense for those that havent driven one yet. My input would be that I for one have never much been a fan of any sports cars that I cant open up a bit. I have always liked engines that are rev happy and have all the power high in the powerband. My Ferrari 355 is one of my personal favorites (458 is a close 2nd place) in terms of a its a different car at high revs (sound is intoxicating), but I am always disappointed driving it around my local roads in the 35-45mph range. The 997 GT3 RS is the same thing....it just is no fun moping around town? Maybe I just know whats there when I can get on it that keeps me disappointed at low rpms?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,172 Posts

To make sure I have my head screwed on straight today, just took the Cayman R out for a spin. Sublime on the road! Feels small, light, and nimble, steering wheel is magically alive, non-PASM suspension connects me to the road at each corner, the joys of rev matching myself, sound of the engine right behind my head ... hard-on is finally starting to subside. Never gonna sell that car, newer isn't always better.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^
Old 09-20-2014, 03:16 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Manifold, thanks for this thread. Haven't had a chance to drive the 991 gt3 but have been having similar concerns as described in your OP and in hoopumper's post. I love my 6GT3 and I crave its dose of raw, mechanical, and visceral after just a few days, but I also miss my Boxster S for the backroads. I feel that I have to be going way too fast on the backroads with the 6GT3 to get it loaded up and alive. The Boxster was much friendlier that way. Maybe just adding a 981 base boxster with manual and sport suspension for $50k would be the ticket for backroads.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Maybe just adding a base 981 base boxster with manual and sport suspension for $50k would be the ticket for backroads.
Or 987 Boxster S with manual, which I feel is significantly more visceral than the 981. On a nice day on the road with the top down, hard to beat that experience. I'd own one if I had more space for cars.

Oh, and please keep the 6GT3. There's a reason why everybody wants one nowadays. I had a chance to pick up a nice one for about $50K a year ago and am still kicking myself for passing on it.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:23 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove a 991 GT3 this morning for the first time as well. I love the car, the way it handles, shifts, everything. My only complaint is that, quite honestly, I think it needs more power. Just personal opinion. And granted, I drove a 458 Speciale a few weeks back so that's my current standard of comparison. If the GT3 had another 100 horsepower, I would be more excited about the car.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:24 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by Manifold
Or 987 Boxster S with manual, which I feel is significantly more visceral than the 981. On a nice day on the road with the top down, hard to beat that experience. I'd own one if I had more space for cars.
Yes, just like the one I sold last year.
But space was an issue, and the 6GT3 suits my needs much better now.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting perspective, Manifold, and I appreciate your opinions, even though based on the vast majority of input from all sources including owners and journalists, it is definitely an outlier viewpoint. Given that both expectations and experiences are both very subjective, I suppose it's not that unexpected that there might be some singular responses.

I tend to agree with frayed, that it takes a longer and fuller experience with the car to appreciate what it has to offer. A test drive keeping the revs under 5500 rpm during street driving isn't really a representative sample, but if that's the way you would normally drive the car, given traffic conditions, safety concerns, etc. then that's something to consider.

The one point of comparison that we both have is the one you made between your 997.1 S and the GT3. I believe you said your Carrera was more "visceral, fun, and engaging" for road use. My previous car, which I owned for 4 years, was a 997.2 S, with PSE, sport suspension, and sport buckets. Nice as that car was, the feel, fun, performance, and comfort factor between it and the GT3 are, IMHO, like night and day. Manual transmission or no, I'm amazed that you found the 997.1 S more engaging. But then, there's that subjective thing raising it's head again.

Given your level of ambivalence about the 991 GT3 after having driven it, I think it's probably time for you to climb down off the fence, and look for greener pastures with a car that better suits your expectations.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eilig
My only complaint is that, quite honestly, I think it needs more power. It's not UNDERPOWERED, but I just feel like this car needs and deserves more power. Just personal opinion. And granted, I drove a 458 Speciale a few weeks back so that's my current standard of comparison. If the GT3 had another 100 horsepower, I would be more excited about the car.
Or that illustrates how high it needs to be revved to meet expectations, since it does have 475 hp (though peak torque is less impressive).
Old 09-20-2014, 03:34 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Given your level of ambivalence about the 991 GT3 after having driven it, I think it's probably time for you to climb down off the fence, and look for greener pastures with a car that better suits your expectations.
I think he is entitled to sit on the fence (or wherever else he wants) as long as he well chooses.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Yes, at this point, I'll drive the car more if given the opportunity, but will set aside the idea of buying one until/if it starts to WOW me. I really wish I loved the car, since the allocation was mine for the taking, but it is what it is. At least the next guy in line will be surprised by his unexpected allocation.

Enjoy the car in good health. You championed it from the beginning, were patient in waiting for the engine replacement, and I'm glad that it's fully meeting or exceeding your overall expectations. No doubt that it's the right car for some people and uses, just not right for everybody (no car can be).
Old 09-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yes, at this point, I'll drive the car more if given the opportunity, but will set aside the idea of buying one until/if it starts to WOW me. I really wish I loved the car, since the allocation was mine for the taking, but it is what it is. At least the next guy in line will be surprised by his unexpected allocation.

Enjoy the car in good health. You championed it from the beginning, were patient in waiting for the engine replacement, and I'm glad that it's fully meeting or exceeding your overall expectations. No doubt that it's the right car for some people and uses, just not right for everybody (no car can be).
Thanks, Manifold. I'm sure your current stable of cars will continue to give you enjoyment and when it's time to get something new I hope there will be something out there that really tickles your fancy.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:44 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can spend a morning test driving any car (within limits too) and be able to give more than a "first impression". It's uncommonly rare to be able to judge anything accurately with such limited experience, be it with an electronic device, a first date, or car.

I see plenty of high end Porsches around the Bay Area roads, and rarely is it driven with enough skill to engage the "visceral" senses. More often I see them rev hard and accelerate for about 2-5 seconds and then just stop behind a Prius in the fast lane. Kinda like sex I think, it's all short lived wonderment, only to come crashing down shortly thereafter. But we certainly spend a lot of time talking about it don't we.

Quick Reply: Road Test Drive (Disappointed)