Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knowing What You Know Today, PDK or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Knowing What You Know Today, PDK or Manual?

Based on what you know today about the 991 GT3, and if you had an option between PDK and Manual, which one would you select?
Old 09-20-2014, 12:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

PDK-S if it was a no cost option.
Manual if PDK-S is a $5k plus option
I don't care about my ultimate lap time. I would have fun either way
Old 09-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My choice from day one was going to be PDK-S even if the manual was an option. For me, this was only fitting as this is the "New/Next" generation of GT3s and as such should reflect that with current technology...JMO

Old 09-20-2014, 12:15 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Just drove to Rockstore through Mulholand Drive in my Z. I'm keeping her for when I want to row through the gears. Had breakfast, two cups of coffee and reading the forum, noticing your thread, I'm thinking when I do the same thing come January in the GT3 that I'm going to miss that part of the drive.

Dan (probably would have bought a stick if the option existed)
Old 09-20-2014, 12:24 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Stick. More fun more engaging on the street. PDK best for track work
Old 09-20-2014, 12:34 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

New engines are optimized for PDK-S. The new 7 speed manual just isn't the best gearbox, not bad but getting into a 997 GT3 from a 991 shows where the 7speed lacks. I really feel this new generation is best matted to PDK-S. You still have full control of the engine and the clutch can be engaged with the paddles. I'm still looking for an older model for the manual experience.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ual-trans.html
Old 09-20-2014, 03:00 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

"...when they pry it out of my cold dead right hand..."
Old 09-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

PDK-S. I think it's the best match for this car and engine.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:50 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Say what IS the diff from regular PDK and the S version?
Old 09-20-2014, 06:50 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

PDK-S in this car for sure. In general, I'd like to have both. I do miss manual. But I do not miss it in a performance car.

In fact, the most fun I had from specifically operating manual was on a trip through Southern Italy and Sicily, driving a 1.6 liter turbo diesel minivan with 4 people and 8 suitcases through mountains. If I would let the engine lose boost when shifting from 3 to 4, I had to downshift to 2nd instead to get that thing going again. Shifting on a powerless engine with less than 1K RPM of useful torque band on steep mountain roads is a fun and challenging strategy game and some exercise too.

Shifting in a car where, outside of track, shifting matters only for fuel economy is not much fun to me (in GT3 you could do all your city driving in 2nd gear - from takeoff to going over speed limit, so it does not really matter how, when or even if you shift).
Old 09-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

I can't speak yet for the PDK-S in the GT3 only the regular PDK in my 991 S and I have to say, at first, I was SOOO missing my manual transmission, I felt disconnected. It was almost like there was a part of the Porsche experience I have come to know and love, gone. Well let me just say that was because I held on so tightly to what was the OLD experience and wasn't giving the NEW one a chance. So I took my car out to the boonies, way north of Dallas where I have some secret twisties and straights. The only thing I have to worry about out there is a stray cow getting out of the pasture, Now that would be a MAJOR issue don't get me wrong but I digress. What I did was just flat out open it up and drive the car to the absolute limit of my comfort and experience, Which isn't much by the way, but occasionally I do scare the **** out of myself and then give a pat on the back telling myself "SO GLAD I'M STILL HERE!". What happened during this drive completely changed the way I viewed my Porsche experience. It actually gave me more confidence because both hands were on the wheel at all times, I could ring the engine out just to the limiter and in a Blink change gears, I could run hot into the upcoming corner and more confidently brake and drop 2 gears. I'm getting excited just thinking about it. So of course this is my humble opinion because there are guys on this board that have forgotten more about driving then I will ever know, That is though, why I equate it to an experience vs. what is physically, scientifically, or mathematically is better. I'm sure if we look at it in those lights cases can be made for either being better. But for me, Based on "THE EXPERIENCE", I'm now a loyal PDK fan, and Can't freaking wait to drive my new GT3. My .02
Old 09-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
Say what IS the diff from regular PDK and the S version?
Compared to PDK, PDK-S:
Shifts more than 60% faster
Does not creep at idle with foot off the brake
Has no ECO mode, stop/start, or coasting mode
Shorter/firmer paddle action
No kickdown or auto upshift at redline in manual mode
More aggressive shift mapping
Launch control available at any time without pressing buttons as in regular PDK equipped cars
Console shifter action reversed; similar to sequential box: IOW pull/upshift push/downshift
Single mass flywheel
More mechanical noise
"Lightening shifts" (Porsches term) create a "whump" from the exhaust that makes your hair stand on end
4 lbs lighter
Old 09-20-2014, 07:27 PM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

PDK-S is an amazing combination of software and machine, awesome. GT3 6 speed is like power in your hand and working the clutch can actually make you quite tired. Both are just fantastic, really. At present, I have both, so I'm a spoiled person.....but the 991 is just too dam good to leave in the garage - sorry 996...but we will kiss and make up tomorrow!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

PDK-S

The car is made for PDK-S and is faster because of it.

Besides that, it feels, behaves, and reacts like a manual much more so than the MP4 and 458, both of which I've driven on a track.

If the GT3 just had the regular PDK that you have in a 911, I wouldn't have purchased the car.

Quick Reply: Knowing What You Know Today, PDK or Manual?