Sponsored by:

Launch Control-How many times?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There is no stop start and no coast feature as there is with regular PDK. In PDK sport with very mild throttle it will shift around 4K+. It's very throttle dependent. If you're on the gas in PDK sport it won't shift until redline. In non-sport it shifts very early if you are gentle with the throttle. Again, it's throttle dependent. The difference between the default mode in the GT3 and default mode in a regular 997 (and I assume 991) is that the GT3 will downshift more quickly in response to throttle input and will hold gears longer if you're on the gas. The best way to drive the car in anything but full throttle track situations, is to put it in manual mode and pick your own shift points.
It's a very intriguing system actually, on my 991 C2S, the system is sensitive to throttle input, steering angle, and break pressure. The execution is the best I have seen on any dual clutch/automated single clutch I have experienced so far. I'm guessing it's even more responsive on the GT3.

I also noticed there was now kick down click while sitting in a GT3 (showroom) the other day, unlike the regular PDK. So that just tells me PDK-S is very sensitive to throttle travel as you have described.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shifter all the time until it get real.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:51 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I like that you just jump in to the GT3, hit the PSE button, and away you go ready to take on any thing
I wish that setting was sticky and would not reset to off every time. I see no point in turning it to quite mode, well maybe except when I call my wife while driving back from the track to remind that I need food/beer.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:37 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
It's a very intriguing system actually, on my 991 C2S, the system is sensitive to throttle input, steering angle, and break pressure. The execution is the best I have seen on any dual clutch/automated single clutch I have experienced so far. I'm guessing it's even more responsive on the GT3.
The GT3 does the same thing, PDK-S is a fantastic transmission; brake late and hard heading into a corner and it bangs down through the gears as you do so, ready for you to get the boot in! And that's in non-sport mode!

My only two gripes are that it shifts a tad early when driving around town and it sometimes doesn't downshift when I want just a bit more poke - but the latter could be due to it tending to not automatically change gears in corners (bad on track but not necessarily bad on the street and at low speed) and a pull of the paddle fixes that anyway.

Back to the videos: I like the fact that he was still giggling like a schoolgirl right up to the last launch

Last edited by sk0t; 09-19-2014 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Watched the videos!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:28 AM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

If you haven't tried launch control in your new GT3 you should. It's good times and you don't have to worry about it breaking like a GTR
Old 09-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Some time having the fastest car off the line isn't that important.
http://www.toilette-humor.com/funny_...tG4u6Q.aolmail
Old 09-19-2014, 12:40 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Some time having the fastest car off the line isn't that important.
http://www.toilette-humor.com/funny_...tG4u6Q.aolmail

Quick Reply: Launch Control-How many times?