Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is scaring me !!!
Old 09-18-2014, 01:27 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
This thread is scaring me !!!
I agree.... But speculation or not, it's a fact, FI and or a "motor" hybrid is coming, it's just a matter do when, not if. Just look at others in the segment: Ferrari, no manual option... Porsche followed. Ferrari 458, FI. Look at the concept and super cars: P1, La Ferrari, 918.... The way of the future. Not to mention the other laws and penalties coming to encourage better mileage.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:09 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Electric hybrid for torque-fill, I can handle and welcome. It's the turbo which makes me cringe
Old 09-18-2014, 03:31 AM
Aerowerke
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Electric hybrid for torque-fill, I can handle and welcome. It's the turbo which makes me cringe
Not until they figure out how to make significantly lighter batteries. Could take awhile on that one.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The whole idea is stupid for the very few true sports cars being made these days. F1 is now pretty much a joke with the dumb, ever changing FIA rules. Rant off.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:51 AM
Jeweller70
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope they make more. I want to drive it to the max and enjoy it. Its my 3rd GT3. I am at peace at what I paid and prepared for it to be a fast depreciating asset.

If it becomes the last of a kind it will increase in value and therefore be an investment? What do you do then, human nature means they will used less or locked away in private collections (like most 4.0 RS)

People with then hide or sell their GT3's and all pile into the Cayman GT4. This could be the Porsche plan.

In the UK there are so few I have only seen the one I own and one other and I live near London.

I still cannot believe just how good the car is. I was with a senior tech at Mclaren who admitted they have no idea how Porsche did this at the price point and a felt there is no way they could compete.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeweller70
I still cannot believe just how good the car is. I was with a senior tech at Mclaren who admitted they have no idea how Porsche did this at the price point and a felt there is no way they could compete.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

If this is the last NA GT3, it won't necessarily appreciate in value, it may just depreciate less or not at all. In that case, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it.

Also, in the same vein as this thread, I have a C63 with a NA 6.2L V8 which will likely be a long-term keeper simply because of its fabulous engine.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know if people have been following what Audi has been testing, but it's a twin turbo diesel with an electric-supercharger designed for use in sports cars. They've been pushing it heavily with the media this year, maybe to test the market for the nextgen R8. If the R8 gets it, who knows how far VW will push it out.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 AM
az audi
Racer

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I don't know if people have been following what Audi has been testing, but it's a twin turbo diesel with an electric-supercharger designed for use in sports cars. They've been pushing it heavily with the media this year, maybe to test the market for the nextgen R8. If the R8 gets it, who knows how far VW will push it out.
I am interested is what they bring to the table. Something along these lines in a new Quattro concept would be great. Still far different than the feel and emotions of an NA, but would be fun with all that torque. I'm afraid weight will be a big issue.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:22 AM
az audi
Racer

Isn't Mclaren working on a car to compete directly with the 911 at a similar price point? My understanding it will use the same carbon chassis and engine as the M12 and 650S, just de-tuned.

There is no doubt Porsche is still the benchmark in this category. Porsche has earned a lot of respect.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:12 PM
oc997
Racer

Originally Posted by az audi
Isn't Mclaren working on a car to compete directly with the 911 at a similar price point? My understanding it will use the same carbon chassis and engine as the M12 and 650S, just de-tuned.

There is no doubt Porsche is still the benchmark in this category. Porsche has earned a lot of respect.
Yes it's called P13 and is targeted at GT3 and will debut at Geneva next March.

Personally I think with all the reliability issues with Mclaren they will get eaten alive in the Porsche segment of the market.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

The GT3 represents a very small percentage of Porsche sales and I think they can continue to make it in naturally aspirated form (in its current small production numbers) without any major impact to CAFE or other restrictions.

Of course I continue to believe that a change to Flat-8 will be necessary to play against the big dogs in this segment if they stay naturally aspirated in the future.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:49 PM
frayed
Race Car

Right? Totally agreed.

Originally Posted by GrantG
The GT3 represents a very small percentage of Porsche sales and I think they can continue to make it in naturally aspirated form (in its current small production numbers) without any major impact to CAFE or other restrictions.

Of course I continue to believe that a change to Flat-8 will be necessary to play against the big dogs in this segment if they stay naturally aspirated in the future.
One can dream. . a flat 8 moved a bit more forward. Voila. A giant slayer.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:50 PM
TargaLover
Advanced

This is really going to be the high point for natural aspiration cumbustion engines. The R&D is going elsewhere, so this is going to be a museum piece (and a hellova piece it appears to be). That's one of my reasons for ordering this beast -- this is going to be the highwater mark for a car like this.

Michael

Last edited by TargaLover; 09-18-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Last naturally aspirated non-hybrid GT3