Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V200 Status: Build an Athlete in a Suit, or Full-Track Poser?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:54 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default V200 Status: Build an Athlete in a Suit, or Full-Track Poser?

ok, I'm two weeks from locking, and unsurprisingly, I'm still a bit torn. However I've specced two different and very specific cars after months (a year?) of reading and participating on this forum. Here they are, with some level of restraint exercised, but including all the options which really speak to me.. still have no idea which way I'll take it:

Athlete in a Suit

Mahogany exterior with black lights and wheels, normal Comfort Seats, platinum stitiching, aluminum trim, silver belts, no sport chrono, extended dash leather and steering column. This is the athlete in a tux look... and I really love it. Mahogany with black accents is killer, and silver interior without buckets and sport chrono keeps a road driving feel, with nicely matching platinum/silver/white gauge details. Also comes in at a reasonable $148k.. although, I don't know how I've convinced myself that $20k in options is reasonable?

Full Track-Boy Poseur:

This is the are which pretends to be a cup car, and has the seats/sport chrono and red stitching to act the part. it's a White exterior (yes, another one) with carbon trim to match the carbon buckets, red stitching, red belts, sport chrono, extended dash leather and steering column. This is the full track-car wannabe... but with the nice leather additions and carbon to complement the seats. This one is quite expensive coming in at $155k... yet I somehow think this one might be more attractive on the used market.

I'm truly torn between these two configs... the mahogany I love, but hesitant to buy a car which i know most would shy away from. The white car is gorgeous and the interior with the red stitching and carbon and buckets is my dream... but $155k and "another white gt3?"... are giving me pause.

sleepless nights ahead.. but feedback from the forum peeps is welcome and fun.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

not sure how I screwed up the pics so badly.. but tried the screen print options etc and somehow created these huge spaces.. apologies.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:01 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel your pain; going through the exact same dilemma myself, and on a similar timeframe.

Personally, if I were buying a used 991GT3, the mahogany car would interest me more, but that's just me; I have a feeling that the white spec would be more universal when the time comes to sell.

Vivian
Old 09-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Is it a daily driver or a will it be a once a week car with some track duties?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:38 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I went back and forth on it, I tend to keep cars for very short periods, but based on all the reviews on here, I built this as a bit of a keeper. My build came in at $165k, but I went with PCCB, buckets, LEDs, which push the number up very quickly. The depreciation is so low on a GT3 vs say a TTS or even C2S that even if I recover 10% of the option value, I'm still probably ahead.

My GT3 won't see a lot of track time, but I will drive it to and from the track, where I can store my track car...
Old 09-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

It depends on what you want the car for. Are you buying the one you want or one the next guy might want more? Daily driver or track car? Although there are probably better options for each use, the GT3 will likely do both reasonably well.

If past history applies, one with lightweight bucket seats and minimal other options would likely have the best resale and be the most sought after. Also, uncommon colors seem to sell pretty fast too.

Why not get both?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

this is definitely a weekend car, roadtrips with my girlfriend, and maybe 2-3 track days/year, max. I don't plan on keeping it for a long time mainly because of where I live in SF, with very limited parking space which means parking my work car on the street... also, I am 36 and have other financial priorities to focus on, and taking money out of equities to buy a sports car at this age screams "short-sighted and impulsive" to me... so, I'm thinking a year or so, get my fix.. sell and settle down with the more important stuff like growing a business.

this is a distraction.. but a fun one.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

CAlexio - I love the first build because it will be one of a kind. I would add the PCCBs to the build because I like the yellow calipers on this color car and maybe if you think the color may hurt resale you have PCCBs to give it a little more appeal
Old 09-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

Also - would add the yellow seat belts, instead of grey, to match calipers so you still have a conservative looking car with a little bit of "racer' to it
Old 09-17-2014, 05:47 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Jimmy, good thoughts, and if I were going with pccb I would spec yellow belts.. however, i have come to the conclusion based on pretty exhaustive attention to comments and info on this forum, that pccb are not a good choice for my intended uses.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:12 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think we are all going through this. I am still convinced that full leather, LEDs, stitching, etc. will mean nothing for resale, so get those things if YOU really want them.

As for me, I am pretty settled on White car, PCCB, Bucket Seats, PDLS, Yellow Seat belts, carbon interior, lift.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Jimmy, good thoughts, and if I were going with pccb I would spec yellow belts.. however, i have come to the conclusion based on pretty exhaustive attention to comments and info on this forum, that pccb are not a good choice for my intended uses.
if you plan to track the car never to 1/2x per year, aren't PCCBs highly recommended for street? That's been my takeaway from the forum - PCCB for street, Iron for track.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:21 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Seems that pccb are not recommended ever, and definitely not for the track. Consensus from what I've read on this forum is that steel brakes are better for track, and clearly more than adequate for the street. Only downside to steel is brake dust and lack of bling... I can handle both "downsides" if that's the case.

I love the idea of ceramics... But the risk from tire changes, stones, etc, not to mention the additional cost has me focusing my option allowance elsewhere
Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
this is definitely a weekend car, roadtrips with my girlfriend, and maybe 2-3 track days/year, max. I don't plan on keeping it for a long time mainly because of where I live in SF, with very limited parking space which means parking my work car on the street... also, I am 36 and have other financial priorities to focus on, and taking money out of equities to buy a sports car at this age screams "short-sighted and impulsive" to me... so, I'm thinking a year or so, get my fix.. sell and settle down with the more important stuff like growing a business.

this is a distraction.. but a fun one.
LOL, you funny guy.
sell GT3 in a year.. hahaha
i would rob bank, kill you, sell my kids, suicide before selling GT3.
there is no difference b/n GT3 and powder. one try, there is no going back.
tread carefully.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:22 AM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all know that you want the mahogany car and you should get it. My only comment about that build is that I don't think the black wheels provide enough contrast to show off the mahogany color of the car. I think that silver or standard wheels might look better. Better yet, go big and get a set of gold wheels! Yolo!

Quick Reply: V200 Status: Build an Athlete in a Suit, or Full-Track Poser?